Testing Homeopathy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2013, 04:37 PM
RE: Testing Homeopathy
(20-04-2013 08:29 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 07:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  Don't be ridiculous! The pond doesn't have chakras. Drinking Beverage

How would you know??? Maybe the pond has a spirit in it. How else do you explain the fact that the water moves when nobody is touching it.

Well, you've got me there. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2013, 04:47 PM
The water in the pond moves because it has a homeopathic water memory of a spirit that used to be there, and isn't anymore, I think.

Somebody today tried to tell me it's stupid to say homeopathy doesn't work, because allergy shots are exactly the same thing. [headdesk]
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
25-04-2013, 04:32 PM
(20-04-2013 07:47 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  If a water molecule has a memory, ...

Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
25-04-2013, 05:07 PM
After trying just about everything else I could find to keep my parrot from plucking herself naked every so often, I recently (like two weeks ago) started her on a homeopathic treatment added to her water...she has more feathers now than she has had in a long time. She has almost completely stopped plucking and is playing with her toys and otherwise acting just fine.

I had nearly given up and figured I would have to knit her a onesie before next winter. I am almost certain there is no placebo affect because I didn't tell her what it was supposed to do, I just started sneaking it into her dish.

The bottle says it will give her a calm mind...she and I may be sharing, make that fighting over, that bottle soon.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
25-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Placebo effect still plays into human and animal interaction, but comes more from your perception.
Out of curiosity, homeopathy is not a regulated medicine, so what's the product and concentration?

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
25-04-2013, 08:04 PM
I am not perceiving that the crazy bird has feathers now where there were none a couple weeks ago, she's been nearly naked for months. I see many more feathers and a lot less skin.

It's called Pluck No More...lots of various ingredients.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
25-04-2013, 08:30 PM
(25-04-2013 08:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am not perceiving that the crazy bird has feathers now where there were none a couple weeks ago, she's been nearly naked for months. I see many more feathers and a lot less skin.

Ok, what are the ingredients and are they at homeopathic concentrations?

GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
26-04-2013, 08:36 AM
(25-04-2013 08:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am not perceiving that the crazy bird has feathers now where there were none a couple weeks ago, she's been nearly naked for months. I see many more feathers and a lot less skin.

It appears to be a 'natural', herbal remedy; not homeopathic, though they use that word.

The term 'homeopathic' is being misused more and more. I'd say there are two possible reasons.
One - Pure marketing bullshit. Homeopathic sells.
Two - Sow confusion to make 'homeopathic' more accepted.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-04-2013, 10:39 AM
(26-04-2013 08:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  

It appears to be a 'natural', herbal remedy; not homeopathic, though they use that word.

The term 'homeopathic' is being misused more and more. I'd say there are two possible reasons.

Whatever it is, it's working. I am only giving her a half of the dosage recommended and will wean her off it once she gets her feathers back and keeps them for a while.

26-04-2013, 04:28 PM
(26-04-2013 08:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Third is homeopathic is one of those things they can sell under and not have to answer to regulation. Herbal is the same, but best to use both.

To expand on the placebo on pets bit, there's two other responses that are counted under the placebo effect. One is that the bird was already on the mend, it just coincided with you getting the medicine, which can happen when you try many different medicines that don't seem to work.
The disease runs it's course but the last thing to try seemed to have an effect.

There's also just the simple fact that that when a pet is ill or injured, you tend to pay it more attention. This itself can have a beneficial effect.
Heck, most of the benefits associated with alternative medicine comes from the fact they tend to be able to take more time and chat with their patients.

GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker