Testing if there's a god (kind of)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Testing if there's a god (kind of)
So last Thursday (July 5th, 2012), I was told by a surgeon that not only did I need emergency surgery, and he didn't know if they could help me, and chances were I wouldn't wake up.... (yeah, I basically had to accept in under 30 minutes that I could be dead within the hour). I had a moment where I thought "hey... uh... if there is a god... and you want people converted, perfect time! LOL, oh I'm so posting this on TTA if I live through this LOL). Anyone have a moment like that, where you knew nothing would happen (would LOVE to be proven wrong)?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post
13-07-2012, 06:15 PM
RE: Testing if there's a god (kind of)
Well you lived so that proves there must be a God right? At least thats how a believer would see it. If they died their relatives would say God called him home. Heads or tales God wins.
Take care of yourself, you're on your own

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
13-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Hey, elemts.

First of all, fucked up. That's some mind-fuckie shit right there. Glad you pulled through, brother.

Second, I don't get your question.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
13-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Glad you are still among the living. Keep doing that.
I hope you get better.

Would it be wrong to tell a church group to pray for me and encourage them to chant (Win the Battle)
I'm not really sick, but there is a horse named "Win the Battle" running at the race track with 50-1 odds.

Big Grin

This is my test.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
13-07-2012, 06:54 PM
(13-07-2012 06:15 PM)free2011 Wrote:  Well you lived so that proves there must be a God right? At least thats how a believer would see it. If they died their relatives would say God called him home. Heads or tales God wins.

Take care of yourself, you're on your own
Yeah, of course my thinking was "make be better instantly like.... NOW! Didn't work? eh, what a shock lol" But yeah. My religious friends (Catholic) said "god must still have plans for you", My doctor (Morman) apparently said a prayer before surgery. My first thought was whatever makes them calm and happy--go for it.

(13-07-2012 06:27 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, elemts.

First of all, fucked up. That's some mind-fuckie shit right there. Glad you pulled through, brother.

Second, I don't get your question.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Simple question version being "ever been in a situation where you "jokingly" thought if there was a god, now's your chance to have scientific proof you exist, so prove you exist!"

At the time I had a CT showing the issue, blood-work, etc--with no real scientific way (don't want to go into details... it's a bit disgusting) that it could undo itself shy of human means.
[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post
13-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Near death and not once did I think “is there a god?” too bloody worried about what would become of my wife and daughter I spose.
That and in level 10 on the pain chart!
It just didn’t come into my mind, but then again my mind was damaged and fighting for room with a blood clot and severe bruising.
In another calmer situation with a little more time I may think of the “what if?” I dunno though, practical to the end I would hope.

Glad you’re still with us.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
13-07-2012, 07:17 PM
(13-07-2012 07:11 PM)Karl Wrote:  Near death and not once did I think “is there a god?” too bloody worried about what would become of my wife and daughter I spose.
That and in level 10 on the pain chart!
It just didn’t come into my mind, but then again my mind was damaged and fighting for room with a blood clot and severe bruising.
In another calmer situation with a little more time I may think of the “what if?” I dunno though, practical to the end I would hope.

Glad you’re still with us.
Yeah I started thinking and analyzing things almost up to the end myself--I spent probably as much time on the thought (the god thing) as people did reading it, most of mine were to other things, well two things, one being my cat. Granted I had the possibility of having pain killers drastically cut the pain from a 10 to a 5, and I don't have a family (like wife and kids), so there wasn't that for me either [although the fact I don't have a wife/kids did come to mind].
13-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Not how I’d want to spend another Monday morning, you recovering ok?
I’d put money on your cat not leaving you alone…

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
13-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Glad you're here! Smile

It's not god you have to thank, it's your cat Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
14-07-2012, 03:21 AM
Glad your alive man Smile

Here is one of my favourite poems for you, concerning cats:

Pangur Ban

Hehe... I see that the author wrote it on a copy of St Paul's epistles Smile Much better reading than that old goat.