Texas Church Shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2017, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2017 12:33 PM by BikerDude.)
RE: Texas Church Shooting
One nod to "security" that I have taken is surveillance cameras.
We are wired up.
That has gotten so cheap that even if it never comes in handy it's worth it.
$35 bucks will get you a completely decent camera that you can monitor on a phone or tablet.
Somebody comes to the door I can just glance at the tablet and see them.
I can just press a little button and talk to them through the camera.
At night I can monitor things and set it to alarm where it will give a motion detection notification and capture a video of whoever is fuckign around.
Very cool.
Didn't take more than an hour to set up 3 of them covering front and back porch and yard and garage.
You can also get notifications when you aren't home. So if someone comes to the door you can talk to them from work or wherever you are.

I didn't get it initially out of concern over crime.
It was a concern over our neighbors letting their dog out at night and having it shit in our parking area.
Once I had one of them they are so cool I got 2 more.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
06-11-2017, 12:39 PM
(06-11-2017 12:28 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(06-11-2017 12:17 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  Stored safely.
A gun safe and a closet with a padlock.
On rare occasion this time of year my rifle might stay in a gun case in the downstairs closet over night between hunting trips.
So, not ready for immediate use, such as home defense in a break-in.

No like I said.
Personal defense has not been a factor in my gun ownership.
But upon the news of an active shooter I might choose to load up the old shotgun and lean it up against the wall next to bed.

Why all the curiosity?

06-11-2017, 12:47 PM
BTW, I just learned the shooter was also an atheist who was very vocal about his disgust for religion, especially Christianity, and of religious people. I think we are about to see a wave of ''he was angry against God'', atheism leads to mass shooting. While I wouldn't deny that his anti-religious bigotry might have ''help'' him in the selection of his target and served as a catharsis for his hatred of pretty much everything, I think it will get lost in translation and it will feed anti atheist sentiment in the region.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 5 users Like epronovost's post
06-11-2017, 12:56 PM
(06-11-2017 12:39 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(06-11-2017 12:28 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  So, not ready for immediate use, such as home defense in a break-in.

No like I said.
Personal defense has not been a factor in my gun ownership.
But upon the news of an active shooter I might choose to load up the old shotgun and lean it up against the wall next to bed.

Why all the curiosity?
Just trying to get things clear, confusion can result from sumptions. I give you full marks for safe storage, I lost a cousin back in 1957 when he found a gun under the sofa cushions. Shot himself in the right eye.

People often say their gun is both safe and ready for immediate use. When I ask them how that is possible they get mad at me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2017, 12:56 PM
(06-11-2017 12:47 PM)epronovost Wrote:  BTW, I just learned the shooter was also an atheist who was very vocal about his disgust for religion, especially Christianity, and of religious people. I think we are about to see a wave of ''he was angry against God'', atheism leads to mass shooting. While I wouldn't deny that his anti-religious bigotry might have ''help'' him in the selection of his target and served as a catharsis for his hatred of pretty much everything, I think it will get lost in translation and it will feed anti atheist sentiment in the region.

And I heard yesterday that he was a Sunday School teacher at that church.
06-11-2017, 01:01 PM
(06-11-2017 12:47 PM)epronovost Wrote:  BTW, I just learned the shooter was also an atheist who was very vocal about his disgust for religion, especially Christianity, and of religious people. I think we are about to see a wave of ''he was angry against God'', atheism leads to mass shooting. While I wouldn't deny that his anti-religious bigotry might have ''help'' him in the selection of his target and served as a catharsis for his hatred of pretty much everything, I think it will get lost in translation and it will feed anti atheist sentiment in the region.

Muffs?

06-11-2017, 01:04 PM
(06-11-2017 08:29 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Lets limit knives and forks to battle obesity.

You clearly don't understand what it means to be a fat man. We don't use knives or forks or any utensils for that matter, silly. That's why God gave us hands.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-11-2017, 01:04 PM
Well we have made the big leagues.
We have our own terrorists.
He really might have been on this site.
I mean it.
http://nypost.com/2017/11/06/ex-friends-...us-people/
Quote:Texas church shooter Devin Kelley was a “creepy” atheist “outcast” who never fit in and berated religious believers on social media, according to former friends and classmates.

“He was always talking about how people who believe in God we’re stupid and trying to preach his atheism,” wrote former classmate Nina Rose Nava in a Facebook post, according to the Daily Mail. “I legit just deleted him off my fb cause I couldn’t stand his post.”
I guess even someone like that has their "good points".

06-11-2017, 01:12 PM
(06-11-2017 11:43 AM)Dom Wrote:  So they just interviewed some guy in that town. The question was: "Why do you think something like this happened in such a small town?" The guy said: " I don't know why. I am not going to try to figure it out, nobody but god knows why. Don't ask questions, just trust god, he knows".

(This was paraphrased)

This kind of crap is part of why religion thrives. Some horrible shit happens (shooting, cancer, whatever) and people automatically think: "Why? Why me?"

If you are handy with the god answer, it brings peace. Add in monotonous prayer activating endorphins...

Like they say, religion is the opium of the people. And when shit like this happens, they need their shot.

"You can never trust a junkie!"
-20th century proverb

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
06-11-2017, 01:17 PM
(06-11-2017 01:04 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  Well we have made the big leagues.
We have our own terrorists.
He really might have been on this site.
I mean it.
http://nypost.com/2017/11/06/ex-friends-...us-people/
Quote:Texas church shooter Devin Kelley was a “creepy” atheist “outcast” who never fit in and berated religious believers on social media, according to former friends and classmates.

“He was always talking about how people who believe in God we’re stupid and trying to preach his atheism,” wrote former classmate Nina Rose Nava in a Facebook post, according to the Daily Mail. “I legit just deleted him off my fb cause I couldn’t stand his post.”
I guess even someone like that has their "good points".
The Post isn't usually a reliable source.