Texas Church Shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2017, 11:30 AM
RE: Texas Church Shooting
(07-11-2017 11:01 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 10:28 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Well, it's a nonsensical deepity so I had to ask.
Tell me how you defend yourself with a gun.

Facepalm

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
07-11-2017, 11:31 AM
(07-11-2017 11:30 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 11:01 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Tell me how you defend yourself with a gun.

Facepalm

Okay, you can't tell me. I understand. You'd have to say something along the lines of "by pointing it at them and telling them I'll kill them", which is what I said.

#nevergoingtowakeup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2017, 11:46 AM
(05-11-2017 03:53 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(05-11-2017 03:45 PM)ImFred Wrote:  The argument that guns are acceptable because there are other ways to kill people is not or at least should not be persuasive. Removing guns would take away a very common method used to kill people. Any argument against gun control has to justify why it’s ultimately right for people to have easy access to killing machines.

Negative. I need no argument against gun control. I have the 2nd amendment.

Don't like the 2nd amendment? Get rid of it in 2 easy steps.

Step one: 2/3 of both houses of Congress to vote to remove it.

Step two: Eliminate all gun owners in a civil war.

I think you missed a step. Congress can only propose an amendment. After that, it has to be ratified by 3/4 of the states (that's 38 states) before it can go into effect. For something as controversial as the 2nd amendment, the chances of this ever happening are pretty close to zero.

However, you don't need to repeal the 2nd amendment to have some level of gun control. "Gun control" doesn't mean "eliminate all guns". Even free speech has limitations.
[+] 5 users Like Grasshopper's post
07-11-2017, 11:58 AM
(07-11-2017 11:46 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(05-11-2017 03:53 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Negative. I need no argument against gun control. I have the 2nd amendment.

Don't like the 2nd amendment? Get rid of it in 2 easy steps.

Step one: 2/3 of both houses of Congress to vote to remove it.

Step two: Eliminate all gun owners in a civil war.

I think you missed a step. Congress can only propose an amendment. After that, it has to be ratified by 3/4 of the states (that's 38 states) before it can go into effect. For something as controversial as the 2nd amendment, the chances of this ever happening are pretty close to zero.

However, you don't need to repeal the 2nd amendment to have some level of gun control. "Gun control" doesn't mean "eliminate all guns". Even free speech has limitations.
Very true, but the Slippery Slope Panickers would have you believe differently.
07-11-2017, 12:01 PM
(07-11-2017 10:36 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 02:29 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Biometric smart guns, with a sundown clause on dumb guns.

And if you need to use someone else's gun to protect them, or yourself???

You're fucked.

Why aren't they using it to protect the two of you?

The fact is, there are far, far more stolen guns used in the commission of crimes than there are people defended by using someone else's gun.

Your objection, though, only supports the point I made to RobbyPants. You're so attached to your precepts that you appeal to some farfetched scenario to wave away a plausible approach to reducing illegal gun use. It's almost as if you value your ideas more than you value a reduction in crime.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-11-2017, 12:06 PM
But we all live right next to the OK Corral, don't we?
07-11-2017, 02:00 PM
Quote: At least with a gun I can attempt to defend myself from the killers.

I think I'd have to root for the killers, LDH. They are probably less objectionable than you.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
07-11-2017, 02:05 PM
(07-11-2017 10:49 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 10:36 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And if you need to use someone else's gun to protect them, or yourself???

You're fucked.

Protect you from what? Other people with guns?

Possibly...

Possibly a moron who brings a knife to a gun fight.

Or just somebody who is physically larger and stronger than me.

Statistically - it'll probably never happen.

But statistically you are unlikely to be in a car wreck today. Did you cancel your insurance and quit wearing your seatbelt???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
07-11-2017, 02:16 PM
(07-11-2017 02:05 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 10:49 AM)Dom Wrote:  Protect you from what? Other people with guns?

Possibly...

Possibly a moron who brings a knife to a gun fight.

Or just somebody who is physically larger and stronger than me.

Statistically - it'll probably never happen.

But statistically you are unlikely to be in a car wreck today. Did you cancel your insurance and quit wearing your seatbelt???

Statistically, none of these slaughtered folks would have gotten killed. But some guy with a military grade weapon came and turned them into new statistics.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-11-2017, 02:20 PM
(07-11-2017 12:01 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 10:36 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And if you need to use someone else's gun to protect them, or yourself???

You're fucked.

Why aren't they using it to protect the two of you?

The fact is, there are far, far more stolen guns used in the commission of crimes than there are people defended by using someone else's gun.

Your objection, though, only supports the point I made to RobbyPants. You're so attached to your precepts that you appeal to some farfetched scenario to wave away a plausible approach to reducing illegal gun use. It's almost as if you value your ideas more than you value a reduction in crime.

And yet you can't really say for sure what the effect of draconian laws in the USA will be.

Do not cite Australia as a model. They had a very low crime rate before they outlawed gun ownership. The slight downward trend - and it is slight - could be, and probably is due to more than one factor.

You want to reduce crime??

Great.

Go to the source - fucking criminals.

Not the rights of the law abiding.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post