Texas Passes tough new Abortion Law

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Texas Passes tough new Abortion Law
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/13/politics/t...?hpt=hp_t2

It Passed the Texas Senate late last night and has moved onto Gov. Rick Perry's desk to be signed into law.

Curiously this was front page on Fox News this morning while the Zimmerman trial was front page on CNN, quite the opposit of the usual.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2013, 10:05 AM
RE: Texas Passes tough new Abortion Law
Dont want to draw attention to it because something might happen to stop it from passing if people are paying attention.

The Out Crowd.
13-07-2013, 12:12 PM
I don't think it's tough. It's banning abortions after 20 weeks.
13-07-2013, 12:17 PM
I don't have a problem with no abortions after the halfway point. Having been pregnant three times, I think that is sufficient time to make up your mind. I also have to agree that all clinics should be comparable to other outpatient surgical centers, that just seems to be a good guideline.

My issue will be if we actually end up with six clinics in the whole state that can meet those requirements. Texas is a big damn place, geography alone could hinder women from getting being able to get to a clinic.

I am going to wait to see what details are hammered out and put into law.

I’m not anti-social. I’m pro-solitude. ~Author Unknown
13-07-2013, 12:29 PM
How do you think it is going to pan out, Anje? It is not as though Texas and its government are known for their support for women's rights.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
13-07-2013, 12:38 PM
(13-07-2013 12:17 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I also have to agree that all clinics should be comparable to other outpatient surgical centers, that just seems to be a good guideline. ... My issue will be if we actually end up with six clinics in the whole state that can meet those requirements. Texas is a big damn place, geography alone could hinder women from getting being able to get to a clinic.

That's the real issue. Texas is a big damn place. Requiring doctors at clinics have admitting privileges at nearby hospitals when there are no nearby hospitals? Restricting where and when Plan B can be taken? It's like George Carlin says, they only give a shit about you until you're born and then you're on your own. No foodstamps, no welfare, no assistance, but hey at least we gave your sorry ass a chance.

The fact that they see no inconsistency between limiting (or let's face it, what they really want to do is prohibiting) abortion and opposing SNAP is an untenable position and evidence of an irrational mindset. "If you're pre-born, you're fine. If you're pre-school, you're fucked."

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean there aren't people who should pray for their sorry ass to be saved.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-07-2013, 12:39 PM
No, TX isn't know for being pro-woman. Rick Perry has announced that he is not going to run for governor again. I kind of think this was something he really wanted to push through while still in office.

Until it's signed and made into law, there is still chance for changes...

If it makes clinics safer I am all for it. If it makes the number of clinics so few as to essentially be a ban, then I am not happy about it.

I don't have a prediction...I will wait to make a judgement till I see what the actual law will be.

13-07-2013, 12:48 PM
And to clarify...I am definitely pro-choice but have always had issue with late term abortions and I don't think that abortion should be used a form of birth control. I know of some young women that have had multiple abortions...I know that birth control isn't foolproof and that's why I am pro-choice.

13-07-2013, 12:49 PM
(13-07-2013 12:39 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If it makes clinics safer I am all for it. If it makes the number of clinics so few as to essentially be a ban, then I am not happy about it.

Yabut ... that presumes that the clinics aren't currently safe. There's an easy answer to this question. How many women in TX have died or had other complications due to an abortion procedure at a clinic? If the answer is few to none, then the real intent of the legislation is laid bare.

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean there aren't people who should pray for their sorry ass to be saved.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-07-2013, 12:52 PM
I agree Girly...so if they start checking to see if clinics meet the standards we will find out that either there will still be plenty of clinics or there are clinics that need to be closed from a medical standards viewpoint.

I will wait to see what actually gets signed...