http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/...-exercise/

Facepalm

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2015, 10:41 AM
RE: Texas school district issues an apology for critical thinking exercise
Critical thinking in a Texas school board is a myth? I think that will be the case determined. If the excessive latter parts to the story happened it's more crossing a line but the simple phrase used as an example for the argument is fine. A school should make your kids question their feelings to extends.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-10-2015, 11:00 AM
(28-10-2015 10:41 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Critical thinking in a Texas school board is a myth? I think that will be the case determined. If the excessive latter parts to the story happened it's more crossing a line but the simple phrase used as an example for the argument is fine. A school should make your kids question their feelings to extends.

I think the actual truth is probably different. I've seen enough theist types and hesvily indoctrinated kids, exaggerate to try to make a point or prove their case.

School districts rarely apologize to atheists for pushing a Christian agenda in public schools.

28-10-2015, 11:14 AM
(28-10-2015 11:00 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 10:41 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Critical thinking in a Texas school board is a myth? I think that will be the case determined. If the excessive latter parts to the story happened it's more crossing a line but the simple phrase used as an example for the argument is fine. A school should make your kids question their feelings to extends.

I think the actual truth is probably different. I've seen enough theist types and hesvily indoctrinated kids, exaggerate to try to make a point or prove their case.

School districts rarely apologize to atheists for pushing a Christian agenda in public schools.

Rarely???

Try NEVER....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
28-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Quote: the teacher was reprimanded and the activity scrapped.

Phew! That's a relief.

This sort of thing really should be stopped.

If some maverick teacher is allowed to start teaching critical-thinking skills to Murikan children it's a slippery slope.

How long before national IQ starts to rise and ultimately tech jobs start drifting back there and away from where they belong, in Asia.

Ohmy

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
28-10-2015, 11:37 AM
To be fair, the teacher probably should have not used the god example.

Too bad they won't be teaching any more critical thinking. American children need it, especially Texas children.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
28-10-2015, 11:45 AM
GOD DAMNIT!

Haha. Well, to be fair, the assignment was very risky, even if technically correct. It would be like having "blacks are just as human/American as whites" as an option in a time when there was intense racism. It will just fan flames, even if it is true.

The article only has the student's describing what the teacher said, but if their accounts are true, the teacher WAS at fault for saying, "God is a myth." A public school classroom is no place for teachers to tell students that their religion is false. But I have a feeling these kids are adding their own flavor to this.

My take: The teacher should not have included the "There is a God" portion of the assignment. Maybe if the student's answers were not evaluated this might be OK. For instance if each question was openly discussed and students explained why they thought each assertion was "fact, opinion, or common assertion" with the teacher asking thought provoking questions when needed.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
28-10-2015, 12:01 PM
It's embarrassing to be an American sometimes. Weeping

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
28-10-2015, 12:03 PM
(28-10-2015 11:45 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  GOD DAMNIT!

Haha. Well, to be fair, the assignment was very risky, even if technically correct. It would be like having "blacks are just as human/American as whites" as an option in a time when there was intense racism. It will just fan flames, even if it is true.

The article only has the student's describing what the teacher said, but if their accounts are true, the teacher WAS at fault for saying, "God is a myth." A public school classroom is no place for teachers to tell students that their religion is false. But I have a feeling these kids are adding their own flavor to this.

My take: The teacher should not have included the "There is a God" portion of the assignment. Maybe if the student's answers were not evaluated this might be OK. For instance if each question was openly discussed and students explained why they thought each assertion was "fact, opinion, or common assertion" with the teacher asking thought provoking questions when needed.

Unless the teacher is trying to act out a scene from gods not dead to jr high school kids, which I kinda doubt, I'm going to assume the teacher framed things differently than the child in question asserted.

I do agree the teacher should have maybe used a different example.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-10-2015, 12:09 PM
(28-10-2015 11:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  How long before national IQ starts to rise and ultimately tech jobs start drifting back there and away from where they belong, in Asia.

Many of the tech departments in our University graduate schools are majority asian. I say once they get their PhD they gotta stay for 7 years before we let them leave.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus