Texas school district issues an apology for critical thinking exercise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2015, 03:58 PM
RE: Texas school district issues an apology for critical thinking exercise
(28-10-2015 07:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 05:33 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The kid is right. Religious indoctrination of any kind in a public school is wrong. That teacher had no business even bringing that concept up for those kids. It's not necessary to the lesson, and was practically inviting backlash. That's not what makes it wrong; the first amendment is what makes it wrong. Just because I happen to agree with it doesn't make it any better.

Well from what I can gather it wasn't the whole lesson, it was one of many things. I'd like to know what else was said.

And yeah it was a poor choice (which is why I was facepalming) because now they've barred all discussion about pertaining to thinking critically.

Instead of banning discussion of religion. Consider
(Which shouldn't happen, either.)

Quote:That actually bothers me more. Kids are never too young to start developing those skills. But it should be handled the right way.

I'm guessing they would latch on to pretty much any reason to not teach critical thinking.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2015, 04:04 PM
RE: Texas school district issues an apology for critical thinking exercise
They need to teach critical thinking. If that is by talking about god...well, 7th grade is maybe a little young but we need to talk about religion more. We're not even allowed to talk about it in fucking college in case some dumbshit gets uncomfortable or offended. God forbid.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply