Texas strikes again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Texas strikes again
Discrimination signed into law in Texas

Quote:HRC strongly condemned Texas Governor Greg Abbott for signing into law HB 3859 — a patently discriminatory bill which allows child welfare organizations, including adoption and foster care agencies, to turn away qualified Texans seeking to care for a child in need, including LGBTQ couples, interfaith couples, single parents, married couples in which one prospective parent has previously been divorced, or other parents to whom the agency has a religious objection. It will also allow taxpayer-funded agencies to refuse to provide services to children in care if the agency has a religious objection to that service; among other things, HB 3859 will forbid the state from canceling a state contract with an agency that subjected children in their care to dangerous practices such as so-called “conversion therapy.”

bolding mine.... the LGBT stuff I expect from Texas but interfaith couples? Divorced people? Really?

Texas' new motto: Pedicabo omnibus

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like unfogged's post
18-06-2017, 10:04 AM
RE: Texas strikes again
(18-06-2017 09:50 AM)unfogged Wrote:  bolding mine.... the LGBT stuff I expect from Texas but interfaith couples? Divorced people? Really?

Texas' new motto: Pedicabo omnibus

They probably didn't dare to spell out interracial couples, but I'm sure there's some kind of provision in the smallprint also.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
18-06-2017, 10:21 AM
It states that it 'allows' for the discrimination of all the groups spelled out so it the ultimate decision is probably with the directors of the agencies.

Of course, it's reprehensible but they were careful in the wording and that will be the 'get away with it' word.

I really like living in TX but sometimes I just have to do a nuclear face palm.

Sadly, the good of the children involved is of little importance in this kind of crap.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
18-06-2017, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2017 10:33 AM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
I'm kind of conflicted on this one. We should respect the wishes of the parents who are putting a child up for adoption. If they want the kid to grow up in a christian home, then that's up to them. Or if a private adoption agency caters to certain religions, why should they be forced to adopt to a family that doesn't match their beliefs? This would protect even Muslim adoption agencies like New Star Kafala from being forced to let someone that doesn't follow Islam to adopt a Muslim child. Is it discriminatory? Maybe. But we're talking about humans here. They're not selling a product. These are human beings. Some that might have already reached early childhood and have these religions already as their beliefs. Is it fair to a kid who has been raised Muslim to be forced to go live with a Jewish family?

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
18-06-2017, 10:37 AM
(18-06-2017 10:04 AM)abaris Wrote:  They probably didn't dare to spell out interracial couples, but I'm sure there's some kind of provision in the smallprint also.

No small print needed. It explicitly allows them to deny services based on religious objections and that opens the door for anything.

(18-06-2017 10:21 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Sadly, the good of the children involved is of little importance in this kind of crap.

That's what really pisses me off about it. Can't place a kid in a home with anybody who has a different opinion about anything even if they'd have a better life because they might not grow up to be as rigid and narrow-minded at the Texas legislature.

Assholes. Assholes, everywhere.

[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
18-06-2017, 10:53 AM
(18-06-2017 10:28 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I'm kind of conflicted on this one.

Quelle suprise.

Quote:We should respect the wishes of the parents who are putting a child up for adoption. If they want the kid to grow up in a christian home, then that's up to them.

Where did anything say that the agencies were attempting to respect the wishes of the biological parents?

Quote:Or if a private adoption agency caters to certain religions, why should they be forced to adopt to a family that doesn't match their beliefs?

This bill allows "taxpayer-funded agencies" to discriminate.

Quote:This would protect even Muslim adoption agencies like New Star Kafala from being forced to let someone that doesn't follow Islam to adopt a Muslim child. Is it discriminatory? Maybe.

Not maybe, and your attempt to cloud the issue even more is disgusting.

Quote:But we're talking about humans here. They're not selling a product. These are human beings. Some that might have already reached early childhood and have these religions already as their beliefs. Is it fair to a kid who has been raised Muslim to be forced to go live with a Jewish family?

Wow. The deflection is incredible. This isn't about an adoption agency taking an older child's beliefs and wishes into consideration. This is about an adoption agent imposing his or her own personal beliefs on what makes somebody suitable to be a parent. They are allowed to refuse people who could offer safe, loving home based on criteria that the agency simply does not approve of despite their being no demonstrable harm to the child.

[+] 8 users Like unfogged's post
18-06-2017, 11:14 AM
I don't know what the US constitution say about that. Federal trumps state, right?

Our constitution has a clause that would make something like that impossible. It's called the Equality Principle. Noone is allowed to discriminate based on religion, race, gender or sexual orientation.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
18-06-2017, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2017 11:29 AM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
(18-06-2017 10:53 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(18-06-2017 10:28 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I'm kind of conflicted on this one.

Quelle suprise.

Quote:We should respect the wishes of the parents who are putting a child up for adoption. If they want the kid to grow up in a christian home, then that's up to them.

Where did anything say that the agencies were attempting to respect the wishes of the biological parents?

Quote:Or if a private adoption agency caters to certain religions, why should they be forced to adopt to a family that doesn't match their beliefs?

This bill allows "taxpayer-funded agencies" to discriminate.

Quote:This would protect even Muslim adoption agencies like New Star Kafala from being forced to let someone that doesn't follow Islam to adopt a Muslim child. Is it discriminatory? Maybe.

Not maybe, and your attempt to cloud the issue even more is disgusting.

Quote:But we're talking about humans here. They're not selling a product. These are human beings. Some that might have already reached early childhood and have these religions already as their beliefs. Is it fair to a kid who has been raised Muslim to be forced to go live with a Jewish family?

Wow. The deflection is incredible. This isn't about an adoption agency taking an older child's beliefs and wishes into consideration. This is about an adoption agent imposing his or her own personal beliefs on what makes somebody suitable to be a parent. They are allowed to refuse people who could offer safe, loving home based on criteria that the agency simply does not approve of despite their being no demonstrable harm to the child.

You know that I'm right. The fact is, there are adoption agencies that cater to certain religions. Yes they receive tax payer money to feed the kids and pay employees. BFD. This law protects all religions. It doesn't single out any religion. It doesn't say "Christian adoption agencies can refuse to adopt to gay people." These are private adoption agencies. Most of them are directly affiliated with churches or mosques or synagogues. If an LBGTQ person wants to adopt, there are other non religious state run and private organizations they can go to.

Make no mistake, I 100% believe Texas did this to protect Jew and Christian organizations.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
18-06-2017, 11:29 AM
(18-06-2017 11:14 AM)abaris Wrote:  I don't know what the US constitution say about that. Federal trumps state, right?

Our constitution has a clause that would make something like that impossible. It's called the Equality Principle. Noone is allowed to discriminate based on religion, race, gender or sexual orientation.

I expect that somebody will get denied based on religious grounds and will sue and the law will end up getting struck down. That will let them cry persecution because they aren't allowed to discriminate.

18-06-2017, 11:41 AM
(18-06-2017 11:25 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  You know that I'm right.

No, I certainly do not know that. You've added a whole range of extraneous crap trying to deflect from the fact that Texas is explicitly legalizing discrimination.

Quote:The fact is, there are adoption agencies that cater to certain religions. Yes they receive tax payer money to feed the kids and pay employees. BFD.

Any agency that receives taxpayer money needs to not discriminate. If they can't operate privately then they are not private and if they can't operate without discriminating then they either figure out how to operate privately or they close.

Quote:This law protects all religions. It doesn't single out any religion. It doesn't say "Christian adoption agencies can refuse to adopt to gay people."

It says that adoption agencies are allowed to discriminate based on any criteria they choose to claim as a religious objection. It is not better because it offers blanket protection for discrimination.

Quote:These are private adoption agencies.

The article does not specify that. Even for private agencies this bill sets a horrible precedent for sanctioning discrimination on very dubious grounds.

Quote:Most of them are directly affiliated with churches or mosques or synagogues. If an LBGTQ person wants to adopt, there are other non religious state run and private organizations they can go to.

If they can find one run by people who aren't narrow-minded bigots.

Quote:Make no mistake, I 100% believe Texas did this to protect Jew and Christian organizations.

What you believe about their motives is irrelevant. What they did is disgusting.

[+] 6 users Like unfogged's post