Texas strikes again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2017, 11:58 AM
RE: Texas strikes again
(18-06-2017 10:28 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I'm kind of conflicted on this one. We should respect the wishes of the parents who are putting a child up for adoption. If they want the kid to grow up in a christian home, then that's up to them. Or if a private adoption agency caters to certain religions, why should they be forced to adopt to a family that doesn't match their beliefs? This would protect even Muslim adoption agencies like New Star Kafala from being forced to let someone that doesn't follow Islam to adopt a Muslim child. Is it discriminatory? Maybe. But we're talking about humans here. They're not selling a product. These are human beings. Some that might have already reached early childhood and have these religions already as their beliefs. Is it fair to a kid who has been raised Muslim to be forced to go live with a Jewish family?

The problem is that many states have shifted to private ententies, mostly supported by religious organizations where adoption is concerned. Children pulled from their homes from the state are immediately transferred into that system. They work together.

It's not simply the case of parents or a pregnant girl, giving up her baby for adoption.

I've got a friend who lives in Texas, she adopted her daughter years ago as a single parent. She has money, means, an excellent support system...

The baby was placed with her at 2 days old, and it still took more than a couple years to complete the process.

But under these new rules she would have been excluded from adopting.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-06-2017, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2017 02:08 PM by Szuchow.)
(18-06-2017 09:50 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Discrimination signed into law in Texas

Quote:HRC strongly condemned Texas Governor Greg Abbott for signing into law HB 3859 — a patently discriminatory bill which allows child welfare organizations, including adoption and foster care agencies, to turn away qualified Texans seeking to care for a child in need, including LGBTQ couples, interfaith couples, single parents, married couples in which one prospective parent has previously been divorced, or other parents to whom the agency has a religious objection. It will also allow taxpayer-funded agencies to refuse to provide services to children in care if the agency has a religious objection to that service; among other things, HB 3859 will forbid the state from canceling a state contract with an agency that subjected children in their care to dangerous practices such as so-called “conversion therapy.”

bolding mine.... the LGBT stuff I expect from Texas but interfaith couples? Divorced people? Really?

Texas' new motto: Pedicabo omnibus

When next bill will be signed only WASP pairs will be allowed to adopt it seems.

It appears that Camus was right that the plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good. Fascism if not opposed will only grow.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
18-06-2017, 03:03 PM
(18-06-2017 11:58 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The problem is that many states have shifted to private ententies, mostly supported by religious organizations where adoption is concerned. Children pulled from their homes from the state are immediately transferred into that system. They work together.

Which is something I hate about the American system. You can't privatize everything and hope for the best outcome. Childcare is one of these things, healthcare another one and the prison system the third. It creates monetary or ideological incentives where a neutral approach is sorely needed. Neutral as in supporting society and not interests.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like abaris's post
19-06-2017, 01:41 PM
(18-06-2017 10:28 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I'm kind of conflicted on this one. We should respect the wishes of the parents who are putting a child up for adoption. If they want the kid to grow up in a christian home, then that's up to them. Or if a private adoption agency caters to certain religions, why should they be forced to adopt to a family that doesn't match their beliefs? This would protect even Muslim adoption agencies like New Star Kafala from being forced to let someone that doesn't follow Islam to adopt a Muslim child. Is it discriminatory? Maybe. But we're talking about humans here. They're not selling a product. These are human beings. Some that might have already reached early childhood and have these religions already as their beliefs. Is it fair to a kid who has been raised Muslim to be forced to go live with a Jewish family?

If they are receiving state funds, then In a civilized state they have given up that choice.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-06-2017, 01:42 PM
(18-06-2017 11:25 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-06-2017 10:53 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Quelle suprise.

Where did anything say that the agencies were attempting to respect the wishes of the biological parents?

This bill allows "taxpayer-funded agencies" to discriminate.

Not maybe, and your attempt to cloud the issue even more is disgusting.

Wow. The deflection is incredible. This isn't about an adoption agency taking an older child's beliefs and wishes into consideration. This is about an adoption agent imposing his or her own personal beliefs on what makes somebody suitable to be a parent. They are allowed to refuse people who could offer safe, loving home based on criteria that the agency simply does not approve of despite their being no demonstrable harm to the child.

You know that I'm right. The fact is, there are adoption agencies that cater to certain religions. Yes they receive tax payer money to feed the kids and pay employees. BFD. This law protects all religions. It doesn't single out any religion. It doesn't say "Christian adoption agencies can refuse to adopt to gay people." These are private adoption agencies. Most of them are directly affiliated with churches or mosques or synagogues. If an LBGTQ person wants to adopt, there are other non religious state run and private organizations they can go to.

Make no mistake, I 100% believe Texas did this to protect Jew and Christian organizations.

If they receive state funds, they are not private.

19-06-2017, 02:31 PM
(19-06-2017 01:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-06-2017 11:25 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  You know that I'm right. The fact is, there are adoption agencies that cater to certain religions. Yes they receive tax payer money to feed the kids and pay employees. BFD. This law protects all religions. It doesn't single out any religion. It doesn't say "Christian adoption agencies can refuse to adopt to gay people." These are private adoption agencies. Most of them are directly affiliated with churches or mosques or synagogues. If an LBGTQ person wants to adopt, there are other non religious state run and private organizations they can go to.

Make no mistake, I 100% believe Texas did this to protect Jew and Christian organizations.

If they receive state funds, they are not private.

That's not how it works. Many entities, from private businesses to churches, receive taxpayer funds. They still remain private entities.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
20-06-2017, 07:42 AM
(19-06-2017 02:31 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(19-06-2017 01:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  If they receive state funds, they are not private.

That's not how it works. Many entities, from private businesses to churches, receive taxpayer funds. They still remain private entities.

They are quasi-private. They have to follow the rules to get the money; they have lost a degree of autonomy. And that is as it should be.
It is the public's money and the public gets a say in how and for what it is used.

20-06-2017, 10:12 AM
This shit is wack. Facepalm