Text from mom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2016, 01:31 PM
Text from mom
My great uncle Emil died this morning (he was 94 and ill). He was a great guy and I remember him fondly when I was spending the summers at my grandparents in the great North. His sense of humor was great and he and my grandpa had a ton of fun at my grandmother's expense. I found out by a text form my mom which read as follows:

"Sending this to so many of you who knew our dear Uncle Emil. He always said, "I'll make it till the end..." and I just learned that he passed away this morning. There is much rejoicing in the promised land this day!"

I have no idea who else she sent it to but I was the only one on the list that I saw and it wasn't a group text. I think she copied and pasted it from another text and sent it to me. Not sure whether she was trying to illicit a response or not. She had to know that last line would not exactly be up my alley. *sigh* Another funeral........

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2016, 01:33 PM
RE: Text from mom
My condolences on your loss.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
06-01-2016, 01:40 PM
So sorry for your loss OC Hug

Whether she was trying to illicit a response or not, I would just let it be.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
06-01-2016, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2016 03:07 PM by pablo.)
Sorry for your loss. I sometimes wonder if believers think atheists have no feelings.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
06-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Sorry for your loss but why does she think that are they rejoicing in Israel?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
06-01-2016, 03:19 PM
(06-01-2016 01:31 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  My great uncle Emil died this morning (he was 94 and ill). He was a great guy and I remember him fondly when I was spending the summers at my grandparents in the great North. His sense of humor was great and he and my grandpa had a ton of fun at my grandmother's expense. I found out by a text form my mom which read as follows:

"Sending this to so many of you who knew our dear Uncle Emil. He always said, "I'll make it till the end..." and I just learned that he passed away this morning. There is much rejoicing in the promised land this day!"

I have no idea who else she sent it to but I was the only one on the list that I saw and it wasn't a group text. I think she copied and pasted it from another text and sent it to me. Not sure whether she was trying to illicit a response or not. She had to know that last line would not exactly be up my alley. *sigh* Another funeral........

I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like you have a lot of fond memories to keep you company.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
06-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Well, at least he made it til the end. I hope you find some fun ways to honor his memory apart from your mom's belief in a postmortem preservation of identity. Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
06-01-2016, 03:28 PM
My condolences.

I hope your mom just was on autopilot and was not trying to send you any kind of "message" with the stuff about the promised land, etc.
06-01-2016, 03:35 PM
Very sorry for your loss. May you find peace in your memories of him.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
06-01-2016, 03:56 PM
I'm sorry for your lose. But congratulations to your Grand-dad, 95 is no small feat. And it sounds like he was loved, what better life can one hope for? If we all can be so lucky. I like that quote "I'll make it to the end."

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post