Thallus as referenced by Sextus Julius Africanus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2015, 03:53 AM
Thallus as referenced by Sextus Julius Africanus
Hi guys... In a discussion with a christian about the historicity of Jesus the other part mentions Thallus a pagan 1st or 2nd CE historian. There are only fragments left of Thallus work and it all is referred to in second hand by other historians. Like Sextus Julius Africanus for example.

According to Africanus, who was a christian, Thallus mentions the darkness that followed the death of christ. And Africanus comments that Thallus must have used to wrong word for the darkness because it couldn't have been an eclipse.

Well this might be the best source outside of the bible that describes the supernatural I have ever seen and I would like to know how you have or would respond to it. Do you know anything more than I do about it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2015, 04:00 AM
RE: Thallus as referenced by Sextus Julius Africanus
Dusk, maybe?

Consider

22-03-2015, 04:09 AM
Yeah maybe... but it's kind of a weak response, don't you think.
22-03-2015, 04:13 AM
It's funny how every other historian and chronicler the world over missed the hours of worldwide darkness.

Especially those pesky Chinese and their printing presses.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
22-03-2015, 05:49 AM
(22-03-2015 03:53 AM)Salkinius Wrote:  Hi guys... In a discussion with a christian about the historicity of Jesus the other part mentions Thallus a pagan 1st or 2nd CE historian. There are only fragments left of Thallus work and it all is referred to in second hand by other historians. Like Sextus Julius Africanus for example.

According to Africanus, who was a christian, Thallus mentions the darkness that followed the death of christ. And Africanus comments that Thallus must have used to wrong word for the darkness because it couldn't have been an eclipse.

Well this might be the best source outside of the bible that describes the supernatural I have ever seen and I would like to know how you have or would respond to it. Do you know anything more than I do about it.

"describes the supernatural event"? Surely, you meant to say "describes the alleged event"? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-03-2015, 06:29 AM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2015 06:33 AM by Cornelia.)
"Darkness" is a pretty vague term. How dark? Before a severe storm dark? Pitch black dark?

Were the event entirely supernatural (or even remotely surprising) surely there would be at least a few more completely independent accounts from writers who never linked the event to the death of Jesus but recorded the event because it was so unexpected or frightening? And whilst Thallus was a pagan no original text has apparently been found so how do we know the precise context of his comments?

Like Matthew 27:52
"And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose"

Such an extraordinary event ought to be remembered by both Jews and Romans - what with it being so bloody terrifying!! And yet it isn't. Not everyday you get a zombie apocalypse is it?
[+] 4 users Like Cornelia's post
22-03-2015, 06:37 AM
(22-03-2015 03:53 AM)Salkinius Wrote:  Hi guys... In a discussion with a christian about the historicity of Jesus the other part mentions Thallus a pagan 1st or 2nd CE historian. There are only fragments left of Thallus work and it all is referred to in second hand by other historians. Like Sextus Julius Africanus for example.

So someone mentions an event that happened a century or more after the event, and this is considered reliable because?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
22-03-2015, 07:02 AM
I repeat this as a reminder only. While it is great you have those who argue history, it still goes to say that a history of claims does not make magic men real. It would not matter if we found the bones of a guy named Jesus, it still would not make magic babies real or surviving rigor mortis real.

We know George Washington existed, but no sane person would claim he could magically fart a full sized Lamborghini out of his butt.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2015, 07:30 AM
wasn't there a part in one of the books where it said there was a zombie apocalypse right when jebus was resurrected, you know, dead people coming back to life and roaming the streets
22-03-2015, 07:44 AM
(22-03-2015 07:30 AM)Ace Wrote:  wasn't there a part in one of the books where it said there was a zombie apocalypse right when jebus was resurrected, you know, dead people coming back to life and roaming the streets

The gospel of Nicodemus, one of those texts voted off of the Council of Nicea's island, actually is an account of what one of those dead people saw in the afterlife. I suppose the council didn't like the fact that it referenced Hades as king of the underworld.

It is certainly illuminating as to how brazen they were about making stuff up in the early church.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition