Thank GOD for MY Diabetes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Question Thank GOD for MY Diabetes
So, I must start this off with some background. My name is Mike, and I am an atheist. I used to be a fundamentalist Christian in the Vineyard church. I am also a previously ordained youth pastor (volunteer, the church didn't have money to pay me) from 2005-2007, where I unintentionally lied to children a church on the south side of Chicago. I am also a computer programmer, which is what pays the bills.

Additionally, I have not always been a healthy person. I have been - until today actually - classified as clinically obese since I was 10 years old, have had obstructive sleep apnea since 2003, and last October (2011) I was diagnosed with type-II Diabetes with a shocking A1C of 11.9% and fasting blood glucose of 306 mg/dL. At that time I was about 330 pounds (I'm 5'10"). Since then I have dropped down more than 120 pounds (I was under 200 pounds this morning), and I have been taken off of my Diabetes medication. My fasting blood sugar now is usually around 75 mg/dL, and my A1C has dropped to 5.5% (results pending from my test just minutes ago).

I have done this with a year's worth of very meticulous record keeping, lifestyle changes, and a lot of running (about 637 miles so far in 2012). So... imagine the bruise on my face when I heard someone tell me this:
Quote: Thank GOD for your gift of Diabetes, it scared you off of the couch! Isn't GOD good?
This individual was perplexed then when I asked where their god was when I was sweating. I asked how much Calorie counting this deity did, how much running, walking, aching, soreness, etc, their god had engaged in on my behalf. How could a good god who loved me give me a lifetime sentence of this chronic condition that would never go away?

What the hell is wrong with people? I don't even want to know how the theology works - I know that already - but even at the height of my religiosity I don't think I would have been such a terrible human being as to say something like this to someone.

Censored

~ themanchicken
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like themanchicken's post
16-11-2012, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2012 04:50 PM by Vosur.)
RE: Thank GOD for MY Diabetes
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story. I recall a similar occurrence from my Christian days. At that time I was on a Christian event with my father, a baptist preacher. He held a sermon about the teachings of baptism and as it turns out later on, there were a few people among the audience who didn't like it all that much. One of them, a Catholic fundamentalist, walked up to him after the sermon and told him that his condition (my father was diagnosed with Multiples Sclerosis about 11 years ago, rendering him unable to walk) was a punishment from god for "changing his word". I'll never understand how people like that can live with themselves.

Anyway, I hope that you'll have a good time on here. Enjoy your stay.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
16-11-2012, 04:54 PM
(16-11-2012 04:46 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story. I recall a similar occurrence from my Christian days. At that time I was on a Christian event with my father, a baptist preacher. He held a sermon about the teachings of baptism and as it turns out later on, there were a few people among the audience who didn't like it all that much. One of them, a Catholic fundamentalist, walked up to him after the sermon and told him that his condition (my father was diagnosed with Multiples Sclerosis about 11 years ago, rendering him unable to walk) was a punishment from god for "changing his word". I'll never understand how people like that can live with themselves.

Anyway, I hope that you'll have a good time on here. Enjoy your stay.
Thanks. I often times have no idea what to do with ridiculous comments like this. Sometimes I think the religious deserve an involuntary third-party facepalm.

~ themanchicken
16-11-2012, 05:01 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2012 06:34 AM by Vera.)
(16-11-2012 04:46 PM)Vosur Wrote:  One of them, a Catholic fundamentalist, walked up to him after the sermon and told him that his condition (my father was diagnosed with Multiples Sclerosis about 11 years ago, rendering him unable to walk) was a punishment from god for "changing his word". I'll never understand how people like that can live with themselves.
Quite happily and utterly convinced of their moral superiority, that's how No Downright disgusting. (I once had a language teacher who claimed that anything, any illness is a result of negative thinking. Had to bite my tongue to stop myself from asking how come she didn't go around hospitals telling little kids with cancer that it was all their fault). Sorry about your father, btw. This must be very difficult.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
18-11-2012, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2012 01:52 PM by GirlyMan.)
You sound like me. Big Grin

(16-11-2012 04:33 PM)themanchicken Wrote:  So, I must start this off with some background. My name is Mike, and I am an atheist. I used to be a fundamentalist Christian in the Vineyard church. I am also a previously ordained youth pastor (volunteer, the church didn't have money to pay me) from 2005-2007, where I unintentionally lied to children a church on the south side of Chicago. I am also a computer programmer, which is what pays the bills.

Another programmer, yay!

(16-11-2012 04:33 PM)themanchicken Wrote:  Additionally, I have not always been a healthy person. I have been - until today actually - classified as clinically obese since I was 10 years old,

Yup. But not anymore.

(16-11-2012 04:33 PM)themanchicken Wrote:  ...have had obstructive sleep apnea since 2003,

Yup. But not anymore.

(16-11-2012 04:33 PM)themanchicken Wrote:  ... and last October (2011) I was diagnosed with type-II Diabetes with a shocking A1C of 11.9% and fasting blood glucose of 306 mg/dL.

My Doc caught mine at prediabetic in 2006 when I went in for a brown recluse spider bite on my foot and my A1C came back at 5.8% and my fasting sugars were 125.

I thank the Hindus for producing a Doctor bright enough to recognize that a fatass 44 yo man should be checked for diabetes and capable of slowing the diabetes freight train in its tracks.

(16-11-2012 04:33 PM)themanchicken Wrote:  At that time I was about 330 pounds (I'm 5'10").

I'm 5'10" also, but 280 lbs was where my Doc caught the diabetes train.

(16-11-2012 04:33 PM)themanchicken Wrote:  Since then I have dropped down more than 120 pounds (I was under 200 pounds this morning), and I have been taken off of my Diabetes medication.

I dropped 80 lbs and got down to 200 lbs as well but have put on 20 lbs since he put me on testosterone and I've been lifting big ass rocks off the ground. You should have your testosterone checked if you haven't, it's becoming a second line treatment with many Docs now. Makes sense, you wanna suck up the excess sugars floating around, put more muscle on, muscle's a goddam sugar sponge. And I ain't never going off my metformin, it potentially has life extension properties via mTOR inhibition in addition to its insulin sensitivity action.

(16-11-2012 04:33 PM)themanchicken Wrote:  My fasting blood sugar now is usually around 75 mg/dL, and my A1C has dropped to 5.5% (results pending from my test just minutes ago).

That's fucking impressive. Bravo! My A1C's been holding at 5.6% for years now, but my fasting sugars still come in high at 105-115. Gluconeogenesis is all I can think but dunno how my liver has any time to turn free amino acids into sugar while I sleep when I keep pounding it with booze. World-class liver I guess.

(16-11-2012 04:33 PM)themanchicken Wrote:  So... imagine the bruise on my face when I heard someone tell me this:
Quote: Thank GOD for your gift of Diabetes, it scared you off of the couch! Isn't GOD good?
This individual was perplexed then when I asked where their god was when I was sweating. I asked how much Calorie counting this deity did, how much running, walking, aching, soreness, etc, their god had engaged in on my behalf. How could a good god who loved me give me a lifetime sentence of this chronic condition that would never go away?

That ain't gonna leave a bruise, ain't even gonna leave a mosquito bite mark. You worked these numbers just like I work my numbers. Some pussy telling me I should thank God ain't even worth noticing, let alone a response.

(16-11-2012 04:33 PM)themanchicken Wrote:  What the hell is wrong with people? I don't even want to know how the theology works - I know that already - but even at the height of my religiosity I don't think I would have been such a terrible human being as to say something like this to someone.

They're insensitive idiots and dolts and they're all around. But they ain't nothing more than gnats wishing they were mosquitoes.

Bravo on your response and control of the diabetes train, ChickenChoker. Well done. [Image: bravo-7466.gif]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-11-2012, 02:51 PM
You guys made real great progress! dropping that much weight aint easy!

My mother is diabetic and I remember all too well when it was found out.... And how scary it was until the test results came back.
Since that I've been to tests to check if I am diabetic on a regular basis (not for the last 4 years but I hope soon again) just to make sure.

Girly: I know my mom used to or still does take Metformin for something, too... is it diabetis or heart stuff? Cause she has both and I can't remember. If it is for diabetis she might not be taking it anymore because by now she is on insulin.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
18-11-2012, 03:35 PM
(18-11-2012 02:51 PM)Leela Wrote:  You guys made real great progress! dropping that much weight aint easy!

Thanks, Leela, but it ain't that big a deal once you've been scared shitless by what the numbers mean. Then it's a no-brainer.

(18-11-2012 02:51 PM)Leela Wrote:  Girly: I know my mom used to or still does take Metformin for something, too... is it diabetis or heart stuff? Cause she has both and I can't remember. If it is for diabetis she might not be taking it anymore because by now she is on insulin.

Metformin is for Type-2 diabetes and insulin resistance. In the US they use it as a first line treatment and then in conjunction with insulin if necessary. It's probably useless for Type-1's 'cause they just ain't got the pancreas to produce the insulin. ... Stark can better comment on Type-1's than me.

19-11-2012, 02:28 AM
I see, thanks. And I asked her, she says she isn't taking it anymore, but something else that she called "night insulin" and another medizin but I forgot the name.

And yes, I understand the scared shitless part all to well. I had that effect with smoking and stopping to smoke.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
19-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Girly got it right. Once you're taking insulin, metformin is usually taken off the scrip list.

Night insulin is a type of synthetic insulin that lasts a very long time (24 hours) in the body. It's used to give a baseline to either supplement someone who doesn't produce enough, or as a stabilizer for people who control their blood sugars through injection only (ie. no more working islet cells)

Diabetes is a really shitty thing to live with. Chicken Man, I admire how you handled your situation. I'm a diabetic also (insulin dependent for 25 years now) and when someone made a nearly identical comment to me, I wasn't able to show the restraint and maturity you did, and I regret it. They walked away with a fractured orbital socket, and I walked away with two broken fingers and assault charges. You definitely took the high road brother.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
19-11-2012, 09:00 PM
(18-11-2012 02:51 PM)Leela Wrote:  Since that I've been to tests to check if I am diabetic on a regular basis (not for the last 4 years but I hope soon again) just to make sure.

You can check it yourself at home with Bayer's A1C Now for like $15-20US a test. It's a 3 month average sugar test, so space 'em properly and I can monitor my diabetic train for myself at $60-80US a year.