"Thank God" alternatives

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2013, 07:13 AM
RE: "Thank God" alternatives
(22-05-2013 06:27 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Silly billy. Nobody associates "oh my god" with that person being religious. Hell, if anything those that say "oh my gosh golly" are the religious ones...
It's just one of those things people say.

I agree. my crazy evangelical in-laws...and my believing husband...do NOT like it when they hear someone say "oh my god!' They take offense to it. They try to replace it with gosh or some other word and immediately I know they are religious.

the rule at our house is the kids can pretty much say what they want around me (I limit cursing)-but they need to respect their Dad's wishes and avoid that phrase when in his presence. I figure by the time they are 18 ... they will find it silly that he cringes over it too.

I live in NC and I LOVE saying it here. It's an easy way to irk the religious without hardly trying.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
22-05-2013, 07:19 AM
RE: "Thank God" alternatives
I caught my self saying 'bless you' the other day when someone sneezed. I thought about it for a minute about what I could replace it with because it *is* habit. The only thing I could come up with was something along the lines of 'oh-do you need a tissue?' I'm a Mom of younger kids-- I tend to always have tissues on me. LOL. And then I decided that life was too short to worry about it.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
22-05-2013, 07:43 AM
"Thank God" alternatives
(22-05-2013 07:19 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I caught my self saying 'bless you' the other day when someone sneezed. I thought about it for a minute about what I could replace it with because it *is* habit.
Well... this one is pagan superstition enough so shouldn't count Smile

Seriously though, as a relatively recent atheist I've sometimes wondered if it was worth the effort to "cut the abit"...
sometimes I say things like "Fai questa cosa come dio comanda " (do it as god says... a tipical italian way of saying just "do it right");
sometimes I even say "thank god";
I'm a non-recreational Poker Player, and trust me that god is mentioned a good deal of times during my daily sessions (and italian is such a rich language when it come to swearing)...

I wondered if that meant that "somewhere deep inside I still...".

Then I remembered something a friend of mine told me some 20 years ago, two months after losing her sight in a stupid domestic accident...
I was on my way out and said "well, see you tomorrow" and practically fell all over myself to apologize.
She just said "Listen, it's just YOU who feel bad for that, personally I stopped noticing less than a week after becoming blind. And even I still say 'see you'..."
[+] 1 user Likes Thanatos's post