Thank God and/or thank jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Thank God and/or thank jesus
Okay, so we have all seen Facebook messages where people thank god or Jesus for something that someone else did, like someone overcoming illness and god getting the credit while the doctor only gets forgotten. I don't typically comment on these or even give them the time of day, but my cousin-in-law just made a statement that made me laugh out loud and sad at the same time. Her statement:
"Thank you Jesus and Jim Henson for the Muppets!! Lol."
Really? Jim Henson isn't even given first credit for his own creations! Does she really think Jesus inspired Henson to make a bunch of animatronic monsters? Really frustrating.

Anyone else got any others that are particularly absurd?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2012, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2012 10:45 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Thank God and/or thank jesus
(05-05-2012 09:02 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Okay, so we have all seen Facebook messages where people thank god or Jesus for something that someone else did, like someone overcoming illness and god getting the credit while the doctor only gets forgotten. I don't typically comment on these or even give them the time of day, but my cousin-in-law just made a statement that made me laugh out loud and sad at the same time. Her statement:
"Thank you Jesus and Jim Henson for the Muppets!! Lol."
Really? Jim Henson isn't even given first credit for his own creations! Does she really think Jesus inspired Henson to make a bunch of animatronic monsters? Really frustrating.

Anyone else got any others that are particularly absurd?

On the news here last evening was a story of a burn victim who was horribly disfigured, and her daughter actually stated, on TV, "it was only by an 'act of god', that she was not killed by the (kitchen) fire". (Guess her god was too busy, a few seconds earlier).

The question for me, is ... what are they REALLY saying, when they spout this stuff. Obviously it's nonsense. But it must have a usefullness, on some level. Are they "self-talking"... "I hope the universe is logical, in the end, even though it appears, at the moment to be random ?" (or actually deterministic .. "just not so in my favor for the moment") ??

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Yes hearing the thank gods always makes me cringe. Not because they are showing love for their deity of the moment but because they ignore the obvious. Not the obvious that god doesn't exist, but the obvious if god existed... he caused the problem to begin with.... it's a relationship of convenience.

But the way it's used on facebook almost makes me think that god is being pushed to the same level of absurdity of rain gods. You know, no one really believes in them anymore, but we still curse them when it rains. Sort of satirically.

Then my imagination gets shattered, when the people I am hoping are only half serious make some horrible post that I can't pretend is only half serious. They fucking mean this shit.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2012, 06:40 PM
There are the two distinctly different types, those like Lucradis mentioned and the example I mentioned. The ones were they give partial credit to god/jesus for someone else's creativeness are really annoying but the ones that accredit god/jesus for saving someone's life are downright appalling. As Lucradis mentions, they refuse to accredit the bad to god/jesus, they fail to acknowledge that by their own logic it was god/jesus who allowed them to fall ill and then they give any credit for a recovery to said deity without mentioning the medical professionals that actually helped them!!!

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
05-05-2012, 09:08 PM
The theme seems to be...when things are good then praise God, when things go bad, praise God that they weren't worse.

Either way the bad never seems to be his doing...I mean not since the flood and the plagues and such.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
06-05-2012, 12:43 AM
A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to a friend on the phone just after reading that Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees woke up from his coma. During small talk I relayed this info, to which she replied, "He did?!?! That's just a miracle, isn't it? Don't you think?" It's almost as if she was wanting some kind of confirmation or approval from her Atheist friend that yes this was indeed, a "miracle". No miracles were recognized on my end of the phone. Angel

Surely no one needs my confirmation of a personal belief. Why knowingly jump at these opportunities to engage any non-Theist within earshot ...as if to announce, "Look who's side I'm on!"?

Oh, hooray. Dodgy

I think many Theists have found their belief to be just not quite enough. I think their belief has left them lonely and even bitter, in some cases. Certainly hateful and intolerant at times.

I can't lump them all into the same batch, but even the most nonjudgemental of them are confused when it comes to non-belief or indifference to belief.

I think most of the time when a Theist proclaims a miracle or gives public thanks to their deity ... they are trying to convince themselves of their faith, more than anyone. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-05-2012, 09:53 PM
(05-05-2012 09:02 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "Thank you Jesus and Jim Henson for the Muppets!! Lol."

If I'm not mistaken, Henson was an atheists.
I respond to "thank God" with Why?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
07-05-2012, 05:10 AM
One of my theist friends posted on facebook the other day.....

"What's life without god?"

Someone replied.... "It's great!" and she responded with "Yeah well, I mean, I think it's better to think that when we die we go somewhere. What would be the point if we just died and that was it? LOL! THANK GOD!"

I wanted so badly to respond with something to the effect of: Just because reality is harsh doesn't mean it isn't true... but I didn't want to start a big facebook posting war since they're usually pointless.
07-05-2012, 06:39 AM
"I just found 5dollars on the ground. Thank You Jesus!"

I replied with:

"Meanwhile, the person that lost 5 dollars is screaming, 'God Damnit!'"

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like NoahsFarce's post
07-05-2012, 07:57 AM
(05-05-2012 06:40 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  There are the two distinctly different types, those like Lucradis mentioned and the example I mentioned. The ones were they give partial credit to god/jesus for someone else's creativeness are really annoying but the ones that accredit god/jesus for saving someone's life are downright appalling. As Lucradis mentions, they refuse to accredit the bad to god/jesus, they fail to acknowledge that by their own logic it was god/jesus who allowed them to fall ill and then they give any credit for a recovery to said deity without mentioning the medical professionals that actually helped them!!!
Oh yes, I ran into this recently on my FB.

A devout Catholic posted that "After many surgeries and radiation and chemo treatments, my sister was cured of her cancer!!! Praise the Lord!"

Then about 30 posts followed in the same light, "Praise god," "The Lord is Light," "God is Good," "Thank god!" And so on and so forth. Not one "thank you" for the people actually responsible for defeat of the cancer, so I said "Great news!!! Thanks to the surgeons, nurses, and doctors!"

I was admonished that this was a miracle of god and that I was rude for not continuing the praise be to god chain.

Justin

"What religion am I? Well, I'm a practicing none of your ******* business." Ron Swanson