Thank God for bringing me to this forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2011, 02:34 AM
Thank God for bringing me to this forum.
As we American-types are gearing up for a day of gluttony in the guise of gratitude, I wonder, What are you thankful for?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2011, 02:37 AM
RE: Thank God for bringing me to this forum.
Thankful? To whom? Or to who? Why am I supposed to be thankful for anything? If you work hard and do something yourself, then you just need to be satisfied, not thankful. I am satisfied with myself and with my actions.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
24-11-2011, 02:52 AM
(24-11-2011 02:37 AM)Filox Wrote:  Thankful? To whom? Or to who? Why am I supposed to be thankful for anything? If you work hard and do something yourself, then you just need to be satisfied, not thankful. I am satisfied with myself and with my actions.

Fair enough, Filox. Perhaps when I'm further unfettered by my diabolical upbringing I'll drop terms such as "thankful" in exchange for "awe", "wonder", "satisfied", etc...
But, as today is the American Thanksgiving holiday, I'll let the term I used stand.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
24-11-2011, 03:15 AM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2011 05:38 AM by Filox.)
Oh that is today? Well, then happy Thanksgiving day to all Americans, Canadians and all other who celebrate it.

Is it just me, or this whole "thanksgiving day" sounds a bit religious? I know it is not intended that way, but this thing, to be thankful and all, it sounds pretty Christian to me.

EDIT...

I appear to have developed my own little personal paranoia toward Christianity, I see them everywhere. Must quit smoking...

Smile

EDIT on EDIT...

Quote:On his third and final voyage to these regions in 1578 Frobisher held a formal ceremony in Frobisher Bay in Baffin Island in present Day Nunavut to give thanks to God and in a service ministered by the preacher Robert Wolfall they celebrated Communion, the first ever service in these regions.

Hilarious, it looks like I am not that paranoid after all... Smile So I will not be quiting smoking any time soon.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
24-11-2011, 08:19 AM
whatever... just another day...

Now go be happy with your family for those that have em and eat yer fat turkeys and stuff your plates with all the mashed yams and stuffings and gravy and pile it high. Thank those that you love around the table.. thank those that slaved in the kitchen all day to feed yer ass...

...and go stuff your face because I know that I'll be stuffing mine... Rolleyes

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
24-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Filox, my friend. Please don't ever threaten to give up smoking for any reason!

North American Thanksgivings (Canada in October) were originally religious observations to offer thanks to the invisible diety that kept the early English Religious Pilgrims alive during their first winter. Thanks for being the small percentage that survived versus the majority that died. (By giving thanks that you are the lone survivor, does that mean you have to give thanks that God killed everyone else?).

Even when I was religious, it never really seemed like a religious holiday. Sure, Pastor Erxomai milked all the sermon rhetoric he could out of such days, but that was only because it was easy to come up with sermon ideas about having an attidude of gratitude. It's a day to reflect on the good things in one's life. But more importantly, it's a day to eat traditional favorite food and HOPEFULLY be with friends and loved ones.

Speaking of "smoking"...that comes in handy if you can time the munchies for right around time to start feasting! Cool

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Thankful for my Gwynnies like every other day. Another one of those things ya need family for. I got a family of cockroaches, they don't care what day it is; pretty much, neither do I. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-11-2011, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2011 03:36 PM by Hamata k.)
Thankful? I thank myself for myself. Sure people give me things butI can aquire those things by myself... hold on. I was wrong. I do have somethig be very thankful for.
I am thankful to have enough mental capabilities to know that religon is false and needs to go. That I am thankful for.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 2 users Like Hamata k's post
24-11-2011, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2011 10:38 AM by Erxomai.)
(24-11-2011 08:50 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Thankful for my Gwynnies like every other day. Another one of those things ya need family for. I got a family of cockroaches, they don't care what day it is; pretty much, neither do I. Wink

My mom says you can come over if the cockroaches get boring. But she probably will make her pastor sit by you during the meal.

[Image: 310106_10150417771238399_721933398_84190...7336_n.jpg]

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-11-2011, 11:18 AM
You don't have to be thankful to a deity- you can be thankful to your friends, family, opportunity in life, etc.

I'm thankful for my wife- she is with me every day, helps me through the day. She is working hard to make a Thanksgiving meal, and I'm helping her along the way. She's also the first free-thinker I ever got to really know, she proved to me that what I had been taught about atheism was wrong and based on ridiculous logical leaps.

I'm thankful for a family that has supported us as we've built our lives together.

I'm thankful for a good job that I enjoy. I worked hard for it, and I'm thankful that I had opportunities to get where I am. So, I'm glad I made use of those opportunities, and I'm thankful that when the cuts came a few years back that they recognized my hard work and kept me on board.
[+] 4 users Like kineo's post