Thank Science for my recovery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Thank Science for my recovery
I had an ablation yesterday to cure a rapid heartbeat. It went perfectly. Many others thank god for their recovery in their Facebook status, I, however said this...

Out of hospital. Went perfect. Want to thank the Doctors and nurses and modern science for the wonders of the procedure.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like FaceOfBoe's post
28-10-2011, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2011 05:31 PM by cufflink.)
RE: Thank Science for my recovery
(28-10-2011 07:49 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  I had an ablation yesterday to cure a rapid heartbeat. It went perfectly. Many others thank god for their recovery in their Facebook status, I, however said this...

Out of hospital. Went perfect. Want to thank the Doctors and nurses and modern science for the wonders of the procedure.

Congratulations, FOB. Glad it went so well.

I had a similar experience 6 1/2 years ago. I had an AVR--an Aortic Valve Replacement.

The docs had been monitoring my aortic valve for over a decade, ever since they discovered I had a congenital heart defect (the most common one, a bicuspid valve). It was not a question of whether the valve would need to be replaced, but when. I was fortunate enough to be under the care of the man who literally wrote the book on valvular heart disease, an incredible human being. And I had good health insurance, so I was doubly fortunate.

In 2005 all the tests indicated the time had come. If I did nothing, the stats showed I probably had two years to live. So I went under the knife. The surgeon was world-class, another stroke of good fortune. They put me to sleep, sawed through my breastbone, spread my ribs, stopped my heart, cut out the old, bad valve (the surgeon joked afterwards that it was so calcified, he thought he'd need a chisel to get it out), sewed in an amazing little piece of manmade engineering made of cow parts, and closed me up. I was back to work in less than a month. And I've been great ever since. Unlike before the operation, there are no restrictions at all on my activity. In particular, I can lift weights again, as heavy as I like.

When I think about the experience, it feels awesome, in the original sense of word: I'm filled with a sense of awe and wonder--wonder that I live in a time when science can correct what nature screwed up, awe at the audacity of human beings who look at a problem like mine and say, "We can fix this." And not least, an overwhelming feeling of gratitude. Because in some other places, the attitude would have been one of resignation: "God knows what He's doing; He has the whole world in His hands; if He had wanted you to live to old age, He would have given you a perfect valve."

I'm a very lucky man.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
29-10-2011, 08:01 PM
My previous boss, on of the best bosses I have ever had the pleasure to work for, had a little girl born with a huge cancerous growth.
Modern medicine, science and stem cell research and she’s now healthy and in school!
Fuck prayer, get thinking!

Milk it a little OP, coffee in bed for a few mornings maybe?
Glad you’re Okay.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Karl's post
29-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Quote:Out of hospital. Went perfect. Want to thank the Doctors and nurses and modern science for the wonders of the procedure.

Doctors and Nurses never get a fraction of the recognition they deserve. Hospitals are so terribly understaffed and those who devote their lives to the health of others are some of the most unassuming and compassionate people we may ever encounter. Thanks to modern science and a wonderful healthcare team, you were indeed in the best of hands.
Speedy recovery, man!! Heart

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
30-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I was home the same day. Final diagnosis was AV Node Reentrant Tachycardia. Very simple to cure, with a small wire they go through a vein. It seems simple, but it is a wonder of modern science.

The closest thing to a religious experience I had was when they gave me some Morphine and Perkiest. I was running with white rabbits...

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2011, 09:30 AM
(30-10-2011 08:37 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  The closest thing to a religious experience I had was when they gave me some Morphine and Perkiest. I was running with white rabbits...

Before I focused, I thought you were running with white rabbis. I guess that would have been a different kind of religious experience. Smile

Hope you keep feeling great.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.