"Thank a Doctor, thank a surgeon, thank science"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2013, 07:36 PM
"Thank a Doctor, thank a surgeon, thank science"
Im sure we have all heard Seth talk about his frustration when he hears people have a medical procedure and "Thank God" afterwards, without giving any credit to the medical practitioner that actually looked after them, or science itself - without which we would not have such medical treatments available. I share this view and really get annoyed when i don't hear religious people give credit to the proper recipients.

Well about 4 weeks ago i had a hernia operation, a simple procedure but still one that requires a recovery. However thanks to the great job my surgeon did i was able to get back into my sport of choice (Distance Open Water Swimming) less than two weeks later. Admittedly i had to go easy for a week, but nonetheless, this kind of recovery was unheard of a few decades ago. The procedure was done with keyhole surgery, something much more common now thanks to the advances of science.

Today was my check up and my surgeon was satisfied that everything was fine. It was with great pleasure then that i shook his hand and said "Thanks for doing a great job." I would encourage everyone to remember the years of training these professionals do and the long hours under great pressure, so they can help people like me and you, and always take a moment to thank them for a job well done.

Thank a Doctor, thank a surgeon, thank science, not some imaginary sky fairy.

"Nothing Great is Easy" - Des Renford (English Channel Swimmer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Endurance Swimmer's post
07-01-2013, 07:42 PM
RE: "Thank a Doctor, thank a surgeon, thank science"
I completely agree. I wonder how many Surgeons hear their patient say this after surgery instead of thanking them, I bet some of them get irritated with that.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
07-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Another facet is this: today I spoke with someone who said she believes more in god than in "most of what's out there" (referring to medical treatment). She dislikes her oncologist, saying that all the doc wants to do is "push her drugs on me." When the lady quit taking her chemotherapy drugs, the doc referred her to hospice. The lady said the doctor did this to be "ugly" to her! Does she not realize that cancer kills?!?!? She said god is her help and her healer. I don't know her doctor, but if I was a clinician practicing in my field of specialty after years of hard work & education, I'd be pretty damn pissed if a patient continually thumbed her nose at my professional expertise while waiting for an invisible man to heal her! Why the hell even bother seeing an oncologist if you're not gonna' take the proffered treatment? Angry

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Percepticon's post
07-01-2013, 08:42 PM
(07-01-2013 08:21 PM)Percepticon Wrote:  Another facet is this: today I spoke with someone who said she believes more in god than in "most of what's out there" (referring to medical treatment). She dislikes her oncologist, saying that all the doc wants to do is "push her drugs on me." When the lady quit taking her chemotherapy drugs, the doc referred her to hospice. The lady said the doctor did this to be "ugly" to her! Does she not realize that cancer kills?!?!? She said god is her help and her healer. I don't know her doctor, but if I was a clinician practicing in my field of specialty after years of hard work & education, I'd be pretty damn pissed if a patient continually thumbed her nose at my professional expertise while waiting for an invisible man to heal her! Why the hell even bother seeing an oncologist if you're not gonna' take the proffered treatment? Angry
Keep in mind that chemo isn't the only way. My first medical oncologist pushed heavily for it, I declined and got referred to another oncologist...a researcher who believes in doing the least amount possible while still achieving good results...this goes for chemo, radiation, and various screenings that require X-rays. I am three years and 2 months past a bilateral mastectomy, no chemo, no radiation and my tests are excellent. The patient has to take control of their disease/treatment.

I left two oncologists behind so I could find one that would work with me and not against me.

And, as to the OP, I thanked them all in person and I thank them all in my head every day.

Don't give up on your friend...she may be right in stopping chemo if she feels that strongly about it.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-01-2013, 08:48 PM
(07-01-2013 08:42 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-01-2013 08:21 PM)Percepticon Wrote:  Another facet is this: today I spoke with someone who said she believes more in god than in "most of what's out there" (referring to medical treatment). She dislikes her oncologist, saying that all the doc wants to do is "push her drugs on me." When the lady quit taking her chemotherapy drugs, the doc referred her to hospice. The lady said the doctor did this to be "ugly" to her! Does she not realize that cancer kills?!?!? She said god is her help and her healer. I don't know her doctor, but if I was a clinician practicing in my field of specialty after years of hard work & education, I'd be pretty damn pissed if a patient continually thumbed her nose at my professional expertise while waiting for an invisible man to heal her! Why the hell even bother seeing an oncologist if you're not gonna' take the proffered treatment? Angry
Keep in mind that chemo isn't the only way. My first medical oncologist pushed heavily for it, I declined and got referred to another oncologist...a researcher who believes in doing the least amount possible while still achieving good results...this goes for chemo, radiation, and various screenings that require X-rays. I am three years and 2 months past a bilateral mastectomy, no chemo, no radiation and my tests are excellent. The patient has to take control of their disease/treatment.

I left two oncologists behind so I could find one that would work with me and not against me.

And, as to the OP, I thanked them all in person and I thank them all in my head every day.

Don't give up on your friend...she may be right in stopping chemo if she feels that strongly about it.

You were comparing actual physicians and treatments, not imaginary ones. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Guess I should have worded it better...she can find another doctor, one that she feels more comfortable with.

Best advice I was given by my surgeon...make your decision and then live with it.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Well not to be THAT guy, but didn't her god already let her get cancer in the first place? If he was so concerned with her wellbeing why wouldn't he make it so she couldn't get sick at all? It's stuff like this that smacks a person in the face with a large sign saying "There is no God", but people ignore the sign.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
07-01-2013, 09:13 PM
(07-01-2013 09:11 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
Well not to be THAT guy, but didn't her god already let her get cancer in the first place?
The exact point I made to the JWs that showed up at my door about three weeks after my diagnosis. They didn't have an answer for me. And the JWs haven't been back.

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-01-2013, 09:25 PM
All really good responses. Thanks guys. I think we all agree that this is a valid point worth making when people frequently attribute their recovery to miracles. The only miracles at work here are ones brought about by human ingenuity.

"Nothing Great is Easy" - Des Renford (English Channel Swimmer)
[+] 1 user Likes Endurance Swimmer's post
07-01-2013, 09:30 PM
You may have supposedly been good at carpentry, but...[Image: tumblr_majpos5rnr1qda2v1o1_1280.jpg]

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  hard time wrapping my head around a mental health doctor that believes in a god Pearl 4 212 19-02-2014 06:51 PM
Last Post: Chas
  Onnit supplements: real science, or woo? Smercury44 10 818 26-12-2013 04:47 PM
Last Post: cheapthrillseaker
  Is there a doctor in the house? How to treat cuts. Dark Light 22 1,008 02-05-2013 10:14 PM
Last Post: Dark Light
  Interesting SCIENCE video on what motivates us. LadyJane 1 377 21-06-2012 10:34 AM
Last Post: Spivey May