"Thank you"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2012, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2012 06:22 PM by Leela.)
"Thank you"
Not sure where to put this. I hope it fits here

So I want to try an experiment with you guys but first the background on it:

You know the slogans like "Have you thanked God today?" or similar.
You also know the big discussions about morality with or without religion.
And you know from boy scouts about helping someone once a day.

When I was about 20 a friend of mine once told me that she thinks I am not saying "thank you" to her parent enough, when they drop me off somewhere after concerts where we went together (though I did say "thank you" every time and never took it for granted) and it made me think back then.
Skipping forward in time.
I noticed on myself, especially lately for some reason, that I am saying "thank you" tons of times dayly. I mean I say it nearly everytime someone does something for me, no matter how small it is. For me it is a sign to show that I appreciate this, it's a gesture and when I say "thank you" I absolutely mean it.
Of course there are other people who do not say it a lot, people who do say it but without thinking, and of course the people who take everything for granted and do not ever thank anyone.
This goes for helping people, too.
When I see that someone needs help and it is possible for me to offer my help I will always do that. I will help a person crossing the street, I will help someone up, I hold a door open, I get up in the bus for old people. This is how I think everyone should act towards each other.

Now when I thank someone I will not add a prayer to thank god that he made that person help me and I will not meditate over it to give positive energies back to the universe. Thank you to that person is enough. And people like when someone gives them some recognition. And they also thank you when you help them. And I am postive that most of them will not pray or meditate or whatever over it in the evening.

Now my experiment for whoever wants to participate.

Try to count the "thank you" and similar things that you say through out the day/week/month/hour/whatever
Also try to count how many times you help someone without getting something out of it: Getting a good feeling and getting a "thank you" don't count as getting something, making coffee for your boss does count as getting something...

Post your thoughts and/or results if you want. Who did you thank and what for? What do you consider "help" and what is a "normal" thing to do? I am really curios about it!

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
28-01-2012, 06:00 PM
RE: "Thank you"
You've just won the...
Positive atheism award!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=151]
The positive atheism award is given to the poster of a tread that proves atheism is a positive way of living. Your reputation was given a +1. Congratulations!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Observer's post
28-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Someone I know wrote an interesting article about passing on good vibes to people. Doing something nice for your fellow man in hopes they will pass it on. I read the article and thought - "hmmm this is a good point."

Basically.. every now and then, he tries to do nice things for people. 1. To make himself feel good. 2. To make someone else feel good. 3. In hopes they will want to return the favor for others. It's just a nice gesture.

His example was one day how he was in a drivethrough getting fast food. He decided whoever was behind him, he would pay for their meal so when they got to the drivethrough they'd be shocked that their fellow man paid for their food. How nice! As he was doing this he noticed behind him was an older lady getting in line. Some teenage girls came in and cut her off in line, forcing her a car behind. When he got to the window, he made it very clear he wanted to pay for the old lady's food and to make sure that the girl at the window told the teenage girls they could have got a free meal if they weren't rude.

He said he didn't get to know whether or not they got told otherwise, but at least he knew he did a nice thing for someone. Because he could.

I actually tried it a while back. I went to a drivethrough, paid for the food behind me, just to be nice. Never shook their hand, never made eye contact. Just an anonymous gesture of being nice.

Good point on the thank you. Being aware of how much we say it, or do nice things is always a good thing. Afterall, people seem to say we're not capable of good morals! What better way to rise above it, than to just be a good person and be nice to your fellow man.
28-01-2012, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2012 06:40 PM by Leela.)
heh I didn't know there is a posetive atheism award but as I got it now, my humble speech:

Thank you!
Thank you to my mom *waving and pointing towards her* who educated me and who taught me "Danke" (Thank you) in my native language.
Thank you also to Mr Meyer who taught me English in fifth grade which led to me being able saying "thank you" in English.
Thank you to my grandparents who never stopped talking Swedish to me as a child which led to me being able saying "Tack" (Thank you) in Swedish.
Thank you to Sandy who learned Spanish at school and made learn "Gracias" (Thank you) in Spanish.
Thank you to Guiseppe, my boss at the restaurant who taught me "Grazie" (Thank you) in Italian.
Also a big thank you to my hubby who taught me "Multumesc" which means "Thank you" in Romanian.
And of course Thank you to The_Observer who handed over this wonderful price, let's go for a pint one day, man.

I feel honored to wear this ribbon, this is a special day for me,
Thank you

Do these "thank you"s count for my count today? Wink

btw thanks, that observer for moving this where it belongs. I didn't know where to post it.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-01-2012, 01:01 AM
Thank you, Leela, for your suggestion.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
29-01-2012, 12:59 PM
I realize I don't say thank you a lot at all. Sad

I say I am sorry way more.

I 'do' things all day long, lots of things- making meals, coffees, laundry, calling people to check in, buying small gifts, saying compliments.

Thank you Leela for the self-awareness Smile
29-01-2012, 03:22 PM
I mostly say it automatically... just one of those magic polite words that makes the day go smoother...