Thank you Issac Asimov

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2013, 10:48 AM
RE: Thank you Issac Asimov
(30-08-2013 06:18 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  “I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or defending.”
― Isaac Asimov
Even though I'm Spiritual and believe in God I have to admit I like Isaac Asimov and Bertrand Russell. I don't waste my time with the ardent Atheist who insists that he/she knows with 100 % certainty that God does not exist. They don't know the cause of the 'Big Bang' and they don't know why there is something instead of nothing. But they do know that whatever the answer is to these unanswerable questions, the answer could not possibly involve a Supreme Consciousness or Supreme Being. This is something they KNOW. Thank you Issac Asimov for revealing Atheism as a Religion.

It's funny how well this reply worked in the other thread and works so well in this one, too:

That's not how atheism or agnosticism work. The terms aren't mutually exclusive. I know it's been explained a bunch of times already, but here's a picture:

[Image: Fm0yK.jpg]

Stop talking about gnostic atheists like they are the only type of atheist. It's intellectually dishonest.

/thread.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
02-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Asimov preferred the TERMS rationalist and Humanist... Because, as he put it, the title of atheist was insufficient, and covered only what he didn't believe. Rationalism and Humanism described what he did believe in. Asimov believed in scientific skepticism, and he believed in humanity...

He's one of my heroes... both for his views and his books.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
03-12-2013, 03:26 PM
"Your belief that you exist is an act of faith." - Ayn Rand, writing about materialists who do not acknowledge the identification of the consciousness itself identifying objective reality.

You have faith. That's why atheism is religion. Not "you have faith there is no god" but you have faith that you exist.
03-12-2013, 03:38 PM
(03-12-2013 03:26 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  "Your belief that you exist is an act of faith." - Ayn Rand, writing about materialists who do not acknowledge the identification of the consciousness itself identifying objective reality.

You have faith. That's why atheism is religion. Not "you have faith there is no god" but you have faith that you exist.

So, having any belief whatsoever requires "faith" now, I guess. And "having faith" is the same as "religion" now, I guess.

Therefore, holding any opinion or thought is implicitly religion.

Checkmate, atheists!

You're adorable. Granting the above - it's meaningless.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
03-12-2013, 06:39 PM
(03-12-2013 03:26 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  "Your belief that you exist is an act of faith." - Ayn Rand, writing about materialists who do not acknowledge the identification of the consciousness itself identifying objective reality.

Word salad. Your delusion is not the equivalent of objective reality.

You have faith; I have evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-12-2013, 06:42 PM
(30-08-2013 06:30 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  
(30-08-2013 06:24 PM)bemore Wrote:  Not this fucking shit again Angry

Shall I bother to ask??? Shall I??? Do I have the energy....

*Sigh* Why oh why Buddhist Alternative is atheism like a religion???

This is why Issac Asimov prefered Rationalism to Atheism. Like all
deeply religous people, Atheists have an unshakeable belief in
something that can be neither proved or disproved. But please,
don't get me wrong, I respect your Faith.

I don't require faith to know the bible is nothing but rehashing of far older myths.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

03-12-2013, 08:11 PM

I think, therefore I am...

I know I exist in some form, whether or not my body exists or whether or not the universe is anything more than an illusion is another matter.

I think its fairly reasonable to assume the universe exists...

a) I can see it.
b) I can interact with it.
c) It can affect me.
d) It obviously doesn't exist simply to entertain me.
e) Its laws are consistent and apply to all things, not only me.

By no means is that definite proof, but its logical enough to comfortably think the universe is real without engaging in faith... which is more than can be said for God.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]