Thank you Professor Hawking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2012, 05:45 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2012 06:06 AM by Logisch.)
Thank you Professor Hawking
I contacted the media relations of Cambridge University and they responded that they would be happy to pass along my letter to Professor Hawking, although due to overwhelming inquiries and scientific inquiries they get, he cannot reply. I told them I was perfectly accepting of this and simply wanted to pass on a thank you to Professor Hawking. I don't expect a reply (although, that would be amazing), but knowing that perhaps he may someday read it and was an inspiration to my pursuit of physics and cosmology makes my day.

When is the last time you said... "Thank you" (shameless plug to Leela's thread) to those who inspired us? I thought about what I wanted to say and figured I would share it. I didn't want to send something ridiculously long, I'm sure he gets a ton of mail... so I tried to keep it short. I realize my grammatical composure is not the best, but I tried to the best of my abilities.

Big Grin

To Professor Stephen Hawking,

I understand you are very busy and cannot reply. However, I wanted to send you a thank you.

My name is ******. I grew up in a small town in Oregon and read your book at a very young age. I wanted to say thank you for writing your books. One day in science class we got on the subject of black holes and cosmology, but my teacher did not understand it that well and after class he suggested reading your books. I had a lot of questions. I went to the library and checked out "A Brief History of Time" multiple times. While I was very young and did not really understand much of the math at the time, the talk of physics and how the universe works fascinated me to no end. I was 13 then. I came home and read the book, over the course of weeks I read it multiple times. The thoughts of how things might have worked to me were amazing. It's taken me many years to begin to comprehend it and I realize even now, I may never fully, but I'll always wonder and always think about it regardless.

I'm now 26. While my occupation may never lie within, I've devoted much of my time to cosmology and my curiosity of the universe. I still enjoy reading your books and watching your interviews over these past many years. It's been over a decade now since I read that book and what mankind has discovered since then I couldn't have comprehended back then. I can only imagine what decades to come will be like. It makes me feel insignificant I suppose on a massive scale, in a good way, realizing how complex and amazing the universe is and how small I am in comparison.

I wanted to pass along a thank you. You have been an inspiration to me and many others. Though I realize you cannot respond due to being busy, knowing that perhaps at some point you may read this, a sincere thank you, is something I have always wanted to do since I read your books when I was young. I hope that someday I can pass on your books to my kids and share the knowledge. The pursuit of curiosity is never ending and always fascinating. Thank you for the work that you have done and the inspiration provided.

Forever curious about the universe,

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post

Messages In This Thread
Thank you Professor Hawking - Logisch - 02-02-2012 05:45 AM