Thankfulness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2015, 09:20 AM
Thankfulness
From a theistic point of view you should be either thankful for everything(good or bad) because you know that God has a plan for you and everything is to help you or you shouldn't be thankful for anything because if God is omnipotent then he could give you anything you want without any problems arising from this.

From an atheistic point of view why should an atheist be thankful. We could have a better world if some select f***s would allow it. I meant the rich and powerful, not theists...lol! Why should atheists be thankful if their wants are suppressed by the ones in control of the world?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2015, 09:23 AM
RE: Thankfulness
(09-03-2015 09:20 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  ...
From an atheistic point of view why should an atheist be thankful.

Sexually repressed catholic girls.

Wink

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
09-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Maybe this is just me, but I have never seen a theist be thankful for something bad happening. Their first reaction to something bad happening is to demand god change it and then thank him when natural events he fixes it.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
09-03-2015, 11:55 AM
(09-03-2015 11:36 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Maybe this is just me, but I have never seen a theist be thankful for something bad happening. Their first reaction to something bad happening is to demand god change it and then thank him when natural events he fixes it.

Bad events could change a person's behavior for the good of that person and possibly of other people. So a theist in a sense should be thankful for anything that happens because they trust that God is molding them and that everything is for learning.

I am an agnostic. I don't know whether God exists or doesn't exist.
09-03-2015, 12:00 PM
(09-03-2015 09:20 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  From a theistic point of view you should be either thankful for everything(good or bad) because you know that God has a plan for you and everything is to help you or you shouldn't be thankful for anything because if God is omnipotent then he could give you anything you want without any problems arising from this.

From an atheistic point of view why should an atheist be thankful. We could have a better world if some select f***s would allow it. I meant the rich and powerful, not theists...lol! Why should atheists be thankful if their wants are suppressed by the ones in control of the world?

I have good health, I could thank genetics or my own good habits of diet and exercise.

No need to thank yourself though, it's obvious if your good habits lead to good results.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-03-2015, 12:01 PM
(09-03-2015 09:20 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  From a theistic point of view you should be either thankful for everything(good or bad) because you know that God has a plan for you and everything is to help you or you shouldn't be thankful for anything because if God is omnipotent then he could give you anything you want without any problems arising from this.

This is oversimplified. It depends on the specific religion.

(09-03-2015 09:20 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  From an atheistic point of view why should an atheist be thankful. We could have a better world if some select f***s would allow it. I meant the rich and powerful, not theists...lol! Why should atheists be thankful if their wants are suppressed by the ones in control of the world?

I am thankful for all that I have. What I don't have doesn't factor into my thankfulness. I am also free to wish I had more.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
09-03-2015, 12:04 PM
(09-03-2015 11:55 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  Bad events could change a person's behavior for the good of that person and possibly of other people. So a theist in a sense should be thankful for anything that happens because they trust that God is molding them and that everything is for learning.

Yeah, that's what they say, I've just never seen anyone be thankful while a bad thing is happening. It's always afterwards, when they're looking back. When it actually happens they're anything but thankful.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
09-03-2015, 12:05 PM

As far as Christians though, if they are Calvinists, then I suppose they should be thankful for everything, but there are other sects that believe the devil is causing them to suffer and it's not something to be thankful for.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-03-2015, 12:13 PM
(09-03-2015 11:36 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Maybe this is just me, but I have never seen a theist be thankful for something bad happening. Their first reaction to something bad happening is to demand god change it and then thank him when natural events he fixes it.

Not always. Like when a child dies theists say "it was gods will" or even that god called the child to heaven or that the child is in a better place. They try to give god a positive spin for all kinds of shit.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
09-03-2015, 03:28 PM
(09-03-2015 12:05 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

As far as Christians though, if they are Calvinists, then I suppose they should be thankful for everything, but there are other sects that believe the devil is causing them to suffer and it's not something to be thankful for.

If God is so great they should believe that he wouldn't allow the devil to do something that wouldn't benefit them.