Thankfulness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2015, 04:56 PM
RE: Thankfulness
Once I got beyond belief and no longer thanked or coursed God for the things in my life I became exponentially more at peace with myself. For that I'm thankful.

You do know that you don't have to be thankful to anyone or anything in particular to feel a sense of gratitude or to feel fortunate right?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
09-03-2015, 06:54 PM
(09-03-2015 04:56 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Once I got beyond belief and no longer thanked or coursed God for the things in my life I became exponentially more at peace with myself. For that I'm thankful.

You do know that you don't have to be thankful to anyone or anything in particular to feel a sense of gratitude or to feel fortunate right?

Cursing God is really just stress relief. It is like complaining. It is nice to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. You or someone else has to do something if you want something to be done.

Can you explain your question?
09-03-2015, 07:15 PM
(09-03-2015 09:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 09:20 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  ...
From an atheistic point of view why should an atheist be thankful.

Sexually repressed catholic girls.

Wink

[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
09-03-2015, 08:24 PM
(09-03-2015 06:54 PM)NumberDigit Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 04:56 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Once I got beyond belief and no longer thanked or coursed God for the things in my life I became exponentially more at peace with myself. For that I'm thankful.

Cursing God is really just stress relief. It is like complaining. It is nice to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. You or someone else has to do something if you want something to be done.

Can you explain your question?

Sure, in other words when you feel fortunate or lucky for whatever the reason you can feel grateful WITHOUT having to thank anything or anyone if no one is responsible.

Example: You go to the doctor and they find a lump in your breast, the doctors remove it and it turns out to be benign. As an atheist I am ecstatic and I’ll thank the doctors for doing what they do BUT there isn’t anyone or anything responsible for that tumor turning out benign. It just is.

People who believe in gods and fate will thank those, the flip side of this is that it was god and fate who put the tumor there in the first place if you believe in such things.

Do you now understand why I say that you don’t have to be thankful to anyone or anything in particular to feel a sense of gratitude or to feel fortunate in this type of instance?

There are events and things that happen to us everyday that are not caused by another person, and as such there isn’t anyone on the other end to thank.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
09-03-2015, 08:30 PM
God does have a plan.
Theists should stop screwing it up with their prayers. Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-03-2015, 08:47 PM
(09-03-2015 08:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  God does have a plan.
Theists should stop screwing it up with their prayers. Yes

Ah, yes. Echos of George Carlin’s schmuck with a two-bit prayer. Thumbsup

09-03-2015, 09:40 PM
(09-03-2015 11:36 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Maybe this is just me, but I have never seen a theist be thankful for something bad happening. Their first reaction to something bad happening is to demand god change it and then thank him when natural events he fixes it.

What about when some theists than god for killing soldiers because gay people?
Don't underestimate the power of the malice in the heart of theists. Some theists are over joyed at the prospect of someone who is not a part of their church being tortured for an eternity.

That certainly is something bad they are thankful for.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
12-03-2015, 04:09 AM
Thankfulness
[Image: 9dbd21e490b2a292b5a9b172447802b7.jpg]

Theist : thank God they're alive.
Atheist in reaction to the Theist :
WTF?
[+] 1 user Likes d4w6zBak's post
13-03-2015, 07:38 AM
(09-03-2015 09:20 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  From an atheistic point of view why should an atheist be thankful.
You can't thank beings that aren't real. I thank other people when they extend themselves on my behalf, are kind and forbearing, etc.

The proper term for what you're trying to get at isn't "thankful" but "grateful". Gratitude is simply a response to circumstances that consciously pays more attention to positives / benefits than to negatives / harms. It is simply a way of acknowledging circumstances and situations, not of seeing agency behind them.

Until fairly recently I didn't see any inherent reason to bias myself one way or the other. But then I read the research on the topic and came to understand that we have an evolved bias towards negativity. Why? Because this is a survival advantage. Avoid a negative and you may save your life. Embrace a positive and you may be distracted from potential negatives that you need to guard against.

As such, positive events tend to pass through us almost unnoticed, or at least they have poor staying power. Whereas with negative events, we are highly aware of even the possibility of them.

This was great when we were hunter-gatherers but doesn't work so well in the modern world. This is why there is so much depression and anxiety, often undiagnosed.

Since realizing this, I have been motivated to make an effort to pay attention to the benefits and positives in each situation I find myself in, since I need no help seeing the negatives.

Right now my stepson is in a medical crisis and his mother and I have to step in and help him ... this involves a good deal of expense and time as he is at university many hours away from where we live. We will make unplanned spending, live out of a hotel with bad WiFi, and deal with cumbersome bureaucracies. I need no help seeing any of this (nor cringing at it). But what I do need help seeing is that my stepson is a standup young man, full of talent, intelligence and heart, and helping him is a worthy purpose for me. And we caught his problem in time. He's going to be okay. These are the things I need to pay attention to.

This is gratitude, and it does not require any form of "woo" to make it work. It is just an awareness that we have to actively compensate for an evolutionary bias that ill serves us in the modern world.
(09-03-2015 09:20 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  Why should atheists be thankful if their wants are suppressed by the ones in control of the world?
Because it's a victim mentality that helps no one and changes nothing. If you are the victim of a huge conspiracy of entrenched power structures then how is it going to help, sitting around and grousing about it until it changes on its own? If there's injustice, join a cause and crusade against it. And be grateful for the opportunity and ability to make a difference in that way :-)
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
13-03-2015, 09:13 AM
(09-03-2015 09:20 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  From an atheistic point of view why should an atheist be thankful. We could have a better world if some select f***s would allow it. I meant the rich and powerful, not theists...lol! Why should atheists be thankful if their wants are suppressed by the ones in control of the world?

Something my dad told me numerous times when I was a kid: you only have so much control over your current situation, but only you can control your attitude.

Just because things could always be better doesn't mean I have to negatively affect my life with pointless sulking or complaining.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post