Thanks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2016, 10:11 AM
RE: Thanks
I'd hate to see you go.....even though I'm new and don't really know you, but isn't that kind of the point? Sharing no belief in a god(s) is only a part of all us, we're all still different people, who are going to disagree about things.

I'm not sure what in particular political issue(s) you mean, but I can say I guarantee I disagree with some here on politics because I lean libertarian, but I'm not full blown libertarian, and in fact many libertarians would tell me not to call myself one. I absolutely LOATHE Donald Trump, and you won't find me defending Clinton too much either.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
13-08-2016, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2016 02:56 PM by The Dark One.)
Damn you guys...I was happily moving on, and popped back in real quick because I got an email that someone PM'ed me. I couldn't help but peek, and now you all make me feel like a lousy quitter. Facepalm

I really appreciate the sentiment, and I truly love debating and arguing with you guys- I love confrontation, as long as it's intelligent and- somewhere down there- friendly.
I feel like everything I say is scrutinized for potential insults because I'm a conservative republican. I'm not even that, so much...I just want freedom. That's it. I don't want some government telling me I can't have my gun collection or go out and shoot my machine guns on my range. I don't want to be told I can't carry a handgun to defend myself, my family, or anyone who needs defending. After 8 years in law enforcement, I've seen horrendous things...I worked a case in San Antonio where a car of gangbangers pulled up to a street corner, saw a couple standing there with two small children (tourists) and gunned the parents down for no reason. They told the kids "Now you'll see what life is really like, little motherfuckers". They drove off. We did catch them, eventually.
That stuff doesn't just happen in bad areas or to bad people or to people who are doing something wrong...there are ALOT of human monsters in this world, and I locked a lot of them up, and even killed one of them. You can't tell- their numbers, if anything, have grown.
To top it off, we have a very large group of people who want us dead because we believe in the wrong god. They are fanatical and nuts. Suicide bombers. Mass shootings. IED's. No qualms at all about killing children, women, nothing is forbidden.
Not to mention the fact that I feel our government is overstepping it's authority in a HUGE way. Many of you here don't see that, so just ignore this and stick to my first two reasons, but...if the government is, or indeed ever does, what can we do about it? A despot government doesn't allow elections...not real ones, anyway. So we're an unarmed populace at the mercy of an armed government.

None of this stuff scares you liberal folks?

And this is beside the point that I grew up shooting for sport- I compete in 1000 yard competitions, cowboy action shooting, etc...and I'm a concealed carry instructor. It's a part of my- and many other good people's- life.

I can argue all day, I can listen to you and you can listen to me and we can still disagree and we can make futile attempts to change each other's minds, and we can get frustrated and snap and bark, and then we can chuckle, have a beer (usually metaphorically, here) and part friends who disagree. I love that.

But there are several folks here who are just abusive, you can't communicate with them- if you aren't a liberal anyway. Just constant cursing and prejudging and reading into things and waiting- impatiently- for me to word something in a way that can be taken offensively. Yet they are offensive constantly, and nobody seems to notice. I'm not offended or anything, it just takes all of the fun out of being here. It's like being mute.

I love Banjo..I hope he comes back. I understand him, he can be a first class twat, but you can say ""Banj, you were a first class twat yesterday" and he'll say, "yeah, I was, sorry mate" and all is well. That isn't the case with everyone.

The irony is, I had just spent some time on PM talking a new member into staying after she had been verbally assaulted for no reason...I told her how great it was here and how everyone was just passionate, don't take things too personally. But then I just felt like I was having to defend every word I wrote, while nobody else in the conversation was...and the verbal abuse was so childish and immature, I just thought...what the hell am I doing here? I have an actual life I can go live!

I'm a Texan, and most of what you all think you know about us is true. I grew up fighting, it's what ranch kids do. We constantly prove how tough we are, it's why we chew tobacco and ride bulls and saddle bronc and all the other caveman-esque things we do here. I'm not a little guy, and I have three blackbelts, although the only one I truly find useful is Krav Maga. In short...I can take care of myself. Here in the land of the macho idiot, if someone spoke to me the way this guy...guys, actually, but one stood out- did, he'd leave here limping. Unfortunately, the internet doesn't have a "punch him in the throat" option yet, so I have no recourse- true communication has completely broken down. So, frustration at being treated badly by a punk I can't..educate..takes the fun out of this.

I don't know...if you guys still want me to stay after hearing me bare my innermost Texan here, I will. I'm a sort of paradox for a Texan...no, that's not the word I need...anachronism, perhaps? That's closer, but I'm sure there's a more appropriate word. I do everything Texans do, I'm not a wimp or a couch potato, and I can ride, rope and shoot, which supplant the "Three R's" in Texas...but I will discuss my feelings, which...just doesn't happen here. I don't whine, or cry, but I'm not afraid of saying what I feel, either...which makes me the odd man out around here, (Texas) lol...and I'm ok with that. The Texas handbook allows two emotions, Happy and Angry. I think I have about six. Weird, huh?

Either way, I enjoy you guys (and gals) a lot. I like alternate viewpoints, and I VERY much appreciate the fact that, if I had to bet, I'd say the average IQ here was well above the national average. I think we all deal with trying to converse with people who have a limited intelligence or imagination, or...worse...a juvenile sense of humor. That drives me up a wall. I haven't experienced that here. You're all a bunch of smart asses.

Cheers, and thanks for the input, amigos and amigas. Smile
[+] 5 users Like The Dark One's post
13-08-2016, 03:00 PM
(13-08-2016 02:48 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Damn you guys...I was happily moving on, and popped back in real quick because I got an email that someone PM'ed me. I couldn't help but peek, and now you all make me feel like a lousy quitter. Facepalm

I really appreciate the sentiment, and I truly love debating and arguing with you guys- I love confrontation, as long as it's intelligent and- somewhere down there- friendly.
I feel like everything I say is scrutinized for potential insults because I'm a conservative republican. I'm not even that, so much...I just want freedom. That's it. I don't want some government telling me I can't have my gun collection or go out and shoot my machine guns on my range. I don't want to be told I can't carry a handgun to defend myself, my family, or anyone who needs defending. After 8 years in law enforcement, I've seen horrendous things...I worked a case in San Antonio where a car of gangbangers pulled up to a street corner, saw a couple standing there with two small children (tourists) and gunned the parents down for no reason. They told the kids "Now you'll see what life is really like, little motherfuckers". They drove off. We did catch them, eventually.
That stuff doesn't just happen in bad areas or to bad people or to people who are doing something wrong...there are ALOT of human monsters in this world, and I locked a lot of them up, and even killed one of them. You can't tell- their numbers, if anything, have grown.
To top it off, we have a very large group of people who want us dead because we believe in the wrong god. They are fanatical and nuts. Suicide bombers. Mass shootings. IED's. No qualms at all about killing children, women, nothing is forbidden.
Not to mention the fact that I feel our government is overstepping it's authority in a HUGE way. Many of you here don't see that, so just ignore this and stick to my first two reasons, but...if the government is, or indeed ever does, what can we do about it? A despot government doesn't allow elections...not real ones, anyway. So we're an unarmed populace at the mercy of an armed government.

And this is beside the point that I grew up shooting for sport- I compete in 1000 yard competitions, cowboy action shooting, etc...and I'm a concealed carry instructor. It's a part of my- and many other good people's- life.

I can argue all day, I can listen to you and you can listen to me and we can still disagree and we can make futile attempts to change each other's minds, and we can get frustrated and snap and bark, and then we can chuckle, have a beer (usually metaphorically, here) and part friends who disagree. I love that.

But there are several folks here who are just abusive, you can't communicate with them- if you aren't a liberal anyway. Just constant cursing and prejudging and reading into things and waiting- impatiently- for me to word something in a way that can be taken offensively. Yet they are offensive constantly, and nobody seems to notice. I'm not offended or anything, it just takes all of the fun out of being here. It's like being mute.

I love Banjo..I hope he comes back. I understand him, he can be a first class twat, but you can say ""Banj, you were a first class twat yesterday" and he'll say, "yeah, I was, sorry mate" and all is well. That isn't the case with everyone.

The irony is, I had just spent some time on PM talking a new member into staying after she had been verbally assaulted for no reason...I told her how great it was here and how everyone was just passionate, don't take things too personally. But then I just felt like I was having to defend every word I wrote, while nobody else in the conversation was...and the verbal abuse was so childish and immature, I just thought...what the hell am I doing here? I have an actual life I can go live!

I'm a Texan, and most of what you all think you know about us is true. I grew up fighting, it's what ranch kids do. We constantly prove how tough we are, it's why we chew tobacco and ride bulls and saddle bronc and all the other caveman-esque things we do here. I'm not a little guy, and I have three blackbelts, although the only one I truly find useful is Krav Maga. In short...I can take care of myself. Here in the land of the macho idiot, if someone spoke to me the way this guy...guys, actually, but one stood out- did, he'd leave here limping. Unfortunately, the internet doesn't have a "punch him in the throat" option yet, so I have no recourse- true communication has completely broken down. So, frustration at being treated badly by a punk I can't..educate..takes the fun out of this.

I don't know...if you guys still want me to stay after hearing me bare my innermost Texan here, I will. I'm a sort of paradox for a Texan...no, that's not the word I need...anachronism, perhaps? That's closer, but I'm sure there's a more appropriate word. I do everything Texans do, I'm not a wimp or a couch potato, and I can ride, rope and shoot, which supplant the "Three R's" in Texas...but I will discuss my feelings, which...just doesn't happen here. I don't whine, or cry, but I'm not afraid of saying what I feel, either...which makes me the odd man out around here, (Texas) lol...and I'm ok with that. The Texas handbook allows two emotions, Happy and Angry. I think I have about six. Weird, huh?

Either way, I enjoy you guys (and gals) a lot. I like alternate viewpoints, and I VERY much appreciate the fact that, if I had to bet, I'd say the average IQ here was well above the national average. I think we all deal with trying to converse with people who have a limited intelligence or imagination, or...worse...a juvenile sense of humor. That drive me up a wall. I haven't experienced that here. You're all a bunch of smart asses.

Hey, if we didn't like ya we wouldn't care about you leaving.

This is a forum though, people have freedom of speech. No one is gonna stop someone from saying mean things, just like in real life no one would stop someone from saying mean things on the street. I am not saying it's a good thing but they will have to live with a shitty conscience if they choose to act that way, that is their punishment.

Most are understanding and pretty nice, there are some who are rough but there is an ignore list for a reason. You can just go to their profile, click Ignore and not have to worry about them. I am truly sorry you had a bad experience.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
13-08-2016, 03:23 PM
(13-08-2016 02:48 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Damn you guys...I was happily moving on, and popped back in real quick because I got an email that someone PM'ed me. I couldn't help but peek, and now you all make me feel like a lousy quitter. Facepalm

Either way, I enjoy you guys (and gals) a lot. I like alternate viewpoints, and I VERY much appreciate the fact that, if I had to bet, I'd say the average IQ here was well above the national average. I think we all deal with trying to converse with people who have a limited intelligence or imagination, or...worse...a juvenile sense of humor. That drives me up a wall. I haven't experienced that here. You're all a bunch of smart asses.

The only shit thing about Texas is how many people you execute aka judicial murder, other than that I don't have a problem with you guys. No one here is telling you what you can or cannot do they just have opinions and while I get where you are coming from getting butt hurt is only playing to others hands. I don't know who you are referring to but I do know there are many pro gun members here. You are going to have a miserable time finding a forum of any kind that agrees with everything you do, sometimes I find this place frustrating, people sometimes misinterpret what I mean in my posts because I'm a Brit with an eccentric sense of humour but I keep coming back because ultimately I can see the good out weigh's the bad and for the most part people here are my friends, if I can find a niche here so can you
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
(13-08-2016 02:48 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  ... or .... worse...a juvenile sense of humor.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
(13-08-2016 02:48 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  In short...I can take care of myself. Here in the land of the macho idiot, if someone spoke to me the way this guy...guys, actually, but one stood out- did, he'd leave here limping. Unfortunately, the internet doesn't have a "punch him in the throat" option yet, so I have no recourse- true communication has completely broken down. So, frustration at being treated badly by a punk I can't..educate..takes the fun out of this.

Pffft. In my real world, you can't just punch people either. You need a thicker skin than that.

There are quite a few republicans here. Some have been here for years and years. Yes, there are some stupid conversations going on. Yes, it's because of the election and it will die down when people's emotions quit flying so high. Somehow this freaking election seems to be bringing out the worst in everyone.

As rational thinkers, we should be above getting sucked into emotional political exchanges, but this time that doesn't seem to be working to well, some very smart and cool people have been getting carried away with it this time.

Just stay out of the political debates if they bother you - we talk about pretty much everything here, you should find plenty to talk about.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-08-2016, 03:34 PM
It's called "e-tough". People can say things that would get their faces punched IRL, but the internet separates us enough that people get away with it. I don't participate in the gun arguments, because

A) it always turns into a rabid diatribe by some people, and
B) I'm not keen on advertising my arsenal to the internet.

The politics will sort themselves out, so I'm not really interested in getting wound up over that.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
13-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Thanks, guys. I guess I'll just do as you suggest and avoid politics for now. Understand though, I wasn't "butt hurt" Smile I just come here for enjoyment, and when it stopped being enjoyable, I planned to do something else. I don't think you'll ever meet a thin skinned cop...I really doubt anyone could piss me off with words, in Texas a punch is just sort of an exclamation point. I never realized how different true Texan culture (rural culture) is from most other places. The harshness required the people to adopt a very...utilitarian, I guess, outlook. You do what you need to do, and that's just...all. Whatever it takes is what is expected of you. If a guy won't shut up or back off, you warn him with a little tap. If that doesn't do it, well, that's where gunfights came into play in the old west, I reckon. Smile Still happens, although not nearly as frequently. To be perfectly honest, I never worked a shooting- seriously, never- that didn't involve TWO elements. A gun, yes. And alcohol. uh-oh.

Adey, I love ya...so I am adapting to my new paradigm right now, by tiptoeing away from any discussion about state executions. SadcryfaceNo

Thanks again, guys. You are all perfectly correct, let people ramble, what's the harm? Maybe allowing some guy to be a huge dick in here relieves stress that would cause him to beat his wife or something later. We all need our releases. Luckily, mine is a Gibson SG. Banana_zorro Damn, I swore there was a smilie shredding guitar...
13-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Glad you decided to stay mate, good on ya Smile
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
13-08-2016, 04:55 PM
:
(13-08-2016 03:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-08-2016 02:48 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  ... or .... worse...a juvenile sense of humor.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post