Thanks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2016, 10:18 AM
RE: Thanks
I think we're straying into territory that belongs in a gun-thread rather than a thanks-thread but for continuity, I'll continue with the continuance.

Thank you for the insight into (West) Texan attitudes towards weaponry. It reminds me of the French attitude towards alcohol ... teach children to be responsible about it from a young age. I approve.

(14-08-2016 09:36 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  ...
Now tell me gun control is effective.

I know nothing about Murikan gun control policies. I have not engaged in any of the many previous TTA-gun-discussions (apart from the occasional flippant remark) because the subject has never really interested me (except from a 'study of memes' perspective).

This is the part that interests me...

(14-08-2016 09:36 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  ...
The only rules in the handbook were "You may not discharge a firearm on school property unless with express permission on the school firing range" (i.e. rifle team)
and "A student will be disciplined if he displays a firearm with the intent of causing fear or intimidation in another".

What, in your opinion, was the 'control' (governance aspect) that incentivised adherence to these rules?

Do you think that these rules could be extended to larger organisational structures / wider societal groupings?

We have both traveled extensively. My experience has been that these rules have been successfully created/evolved in all the countries in which I have lived... is it possible for Murika to do likewise? If not, what are the impediments?

Cheers.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2016, 10:22 AM
(14-08-2016 10:14 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:My best guess is Shai Hulud who says he is Catholic and just a sandworm.

Guess who circumference is?

Extra points if you can figure out who Fullerene is. Big Grin

I speak German fluently, and am about 80% fluent in Spanish...I have no idea what you're speaking!

Isn't fullerene a chemistry term...I can't remember what, but it seems like it was a form of...something.No idea about a "who".???

There will be a quiz later. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
14-08-2016, 10:22 AM
Quote:nicknames for forum members. Those are easySmile

LOL if you say so! Other than...umm...lurking?...in a few car forums, this is the first forum I've ever joined, other than a very short stay in AF. It's a lot like aviation, you have to learn this entirely new language and set of, what would you call them...manners?
You remember your very first flight as a student pilot, and your CFI was saying things like "Empennage" and "Pitot tube" and "Static port" and "Aneroid wafers" and "gyroscopic precession" and it felt like he was from mars?

Yeah, that's where I'm coming from. You guys all say things I have to go google all the time. And google doesn't even speak "forum" very well!
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post
14-08-2016, 10:25 AM
(14-08-2016 10:22 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  

LOL if you say so! Other than...umm...lurking?...in a few car forums, this is the first forum I've ever joined, other than a very short stay in AF. It's a lot like aviation, you have to learn this entirely new language and set of, what would you call them...manners?
You remember your very first flight as a student pilot, and your CFI was saying things like "Empennage" and "Pitot tube" and "Static port" and "Aneroid wafers" and "gyroscopic precession" and it felt like he was from mars?

Yeah, that's where I'm coming from. You guys all say things I have to go google all the time. And google doesn't even speak "forum" very well!

It takes a while. As I said earlier you have to learn the personalities and you will also learn forumspeak.

I still have to use Google to find some things but I am pretty fluent in TTA-talk.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
14-08-2016, 10:32 AM
(13-08-2016 03:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  Somehow this freaking election seems to be bringing out the worst in everyone.
I can confirm that. Tongue

(14-08-2016 10:14 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I speak German fluently, and am about 80% fluent in Spanish...I have no idea what you're speaking!
Na na na, dann erzähl diesen Leuten bloß nichts von unserem geheimen Welteroberungsplan. Wink

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
14-08-2016, 10:35 AM
(14-08-2016 10:22 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  

Don't feel too bad. In my early days of internet use (early 2000s), I stepped on my crank all the time. It ought to be a yard long by now; instead, it's just sort of flatter. I grew up in rural southern California, and while we didn't have guns in the back windows we sure as hell fought a lot. Fistfights, shit like that. I couldn't tell you how many fights I've ever been in. There were some gangs that resorted to knives and guns, but I didn't run in those circles. That was in the late '60s. I graduated HS in 1970. We used to take rifles up into the hills and shoot bottles and cans. Nobody thought twice about a couple teenagers walking down the street, armed. I think that most of the gun violence is associated with urban pressures. Where I grew up, we joked that we could go to the wrecking yard and watch the cars rust. That's really a joke if you consider that it is desert.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
14-08-2016, 10:46 AM
Quote:We have both traveled extensively. My experience has been that these rules have been successfully created/evolved in all the countries in which I have lived... is it possible for Murika to do likewise? If not, what are the impediments?

Talk about "nail on head". I think about precisely this all the time. I don't know how to fix it. in under a generation or two, at least, and with a level of cooperation I just don't see happening. Basically the same sort of problems the liberal ideas about gun control face, really.

In my youth, children were held responsible. They were not seen as victims, they were not given second chances without extenuating circumstances. Nobody got a trophy who didn't ACTUALLY earn one.

If you ever visit rural areas- in America, England, probably anywhere- you'll see that children are treated as adults at a much earlier age than urban children. They have chores- and I mean CHORES, not taking the garbage out once a week and mowing the grass every 3 weeks in the summer...when I was 6 or 7, I had to get up 3 hours before I would have had to to go to school. I had 30 horses to feed, chickens to feed, fences to walk, cows to release to pasture...a grown man could have done it all in an hour, but I was just a kid...so it took me 3, initially. As I grew and sped up, my chores increased. We were a wealthy family, because of animals. They came first, no matter the weather or your illness or your broken foot, these things had to be done. This sense of responsibility was just a part of you, for as long as you could remember. EVERYONE I grew up with had a hard core work ethic, and developed a sincere loyalty to his employer, his family, his friends. Everyone depends on each other, and it's often potentially fatal if your partner doesn't hold up his end.

Our family ranch was 240,000 acres, and we ran, typically, 14,000 head of cattle. Everyone did his part or the whole house of cards came tumbling down- animals died, people got hurt, etc. Forgetting to close a gate could get your little sister killed, easily. It was a serious way to grow up. We had fun- lots of fun. We were allowed freedoms urban kids couldn't even imagine. I was driving big trucks and pulling huge fifth wheel hay trailers by the time I was 9 years old- everyone was. By the time you made high school, you could buy beer anywhere...everyone knew your age, but the drinking age was only 18 then anyway, and west Texas was predominantly settled by Germans...and you know how they are!

Because of the distances and terrain between our respective ranches, kids had dirt bikes, horses, dune buggies, 3 wheelers (4 wheelers weren't around yet) pickups...great toys. Parents didn't have time to run you 15 miles away to your friends house, so you were trusted with transportation at a very early age.

Compared to all of this, firearms were nothing. We all had safety POUNDED into us, and it was the only place where there was close to a "Zero Tolerance" policy. Most of our fathers were WWII and Korea vets, and guns were just common tools. Honestly, we gave them no more thought than you probably do your toothbrush.

Side note. I consider "Zero Tolerance" to be one of the problems of today. It's just a form of laziness- they don't want to have to consider extenuating circumstances, period...everyone is guilty. Many kids get unfairly punished, and grow up hating the system...and not without reason.

I know I'm not changing any minds about anything...but I hope you can see where I'm coming from, what made me who I am. It has worked well for us for a few hundred years, I guess, give or take. Regardless, we like it and consider it an honorable way to live.

Peace!
[+] 3 users Like The Dark One's post
14-08-2016, 11:10 AM
Quote:Na na na, dann erzähl diesen Leuten bloß nichts von unserem geheimen Welteroberungsplan. Wink

Dammit Vosur, don't you know Homeland has German speaking agents now!!!

Wir werden getötet werden!
14-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Back to the OP.

I've seen some knock down drag out fights here on the forum but then if one of the contenders has a personal tragedy or family crisis everyone comes running with a giant forum group hug, including the disagreeing foes. It's really does the heart good to see opposing foes help each other in times of trouble, more so than good friends.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
14-08-2016, 11:30 AM
I was something of a hacker in the 80's, built my own computers and hacked for fun, nothing like "war games" but I could certainly have gone to jail.I never did any harm, I just let the admin know I had been there...I sort of considered it a service, kept them on their toes.
But I considered it a solo game...I never joined forums, although I "lurked" a bit (didn't know it was called that though) So I'm very computer literate, but forum stupid, lol.

Quote:Nobody thought twice about a couple teenagers walking down the street, armed. I think that most of the gun violence is associated with urban pressures

I could not be a student today. My kids went to a small country school- elementary in Alaska and the rest here in Texas. The rules were SO STRICT. Clothing had to be perfect, no colored hair, no piercings, no visible tattoos. Zero Tolerance. I would have been expelled in 15 minutes.

Kids showed up with a hole in their jeans or shirt and were sent to ISS or home. These weren't provocative holes...they were poor kids, and they only owned those clothes! Girls dressed like whores in the 80's, guys wore tight leather pants that showed off their packages...nobody died. Most of us turned out fine. Why the sudden determination to take away kids' rights to express themselves, to find themselves?
It frustrates me. Facepalm

I think part of the problem is that kids have very few avenues of self expression anymore. Everyone is so concerned with keeping them safe that they're sucking the marrow out of the bone that is life, and leaving them a tasteless shell. Finally, some of the ones that would probably have been sporting harmless mohawks and pierced noses and tattooed foreheads back in the 80's...start trying to be noticed, to matter. Going down in history as a mass murderer is a form of attention, of leaving your mark.

I would much prefer the mohawk.
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post