Thanks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2016, 11:49 AM
RE: Thanks
I think it was probably the drugs they had me on that caused me to have a stumble there, but regardless...everyone supported me, told me if they thought I was being a dumbass, and let me know it was all forgivable.

Now THAT feels like family. Holy shite...I'm the black sheep in a predominantly liberal family.

I'm not sure how that happened, but...thank you, sincerely, everyone. OopsHug
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2016, 12:19 PM
(14-08-2016 11:49 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I think it was probably the drugs they had me on that caused me to have a stumble there, but regardless...everyone supported me, told me if they thought I was being a dumbass, and let me know it was all forgivable.

Now THAT feels like family. Holy shite...I'm the black sheep in a predominantly liberal family.

Facepalm

Didn't you know? The worst dissent you will ever have is with your family.

Welcome home. Asshole.

Wink

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
14-08-2016, 12:26 PM
Quote:Welcome home. Asshole.

Thanks!

Bite me. Censored

CoolBig GrinCool
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
14-08-2016, 12:28 PM
(14-08-2016 11:49 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I think it was probably the drugs they had me on that caused me to have a stumble there, but regardless...everyone supported me, told me if they thought I was being a dumbass, and let me know it was all forgivable.

Once you've been completely assimilated there is no out.

One of the most compelling and instructional aspects of this particular forum is that it has taught me that rational adults can differ greatly on a topic and agree violently on others. The differences do not have to define our interaction.

People here will pay you back in the same coin tendered.

Cheers.
FC aka The Circumferece

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
We are a family here...as I have said before, we put the fun in dysfunctional. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
(14-08-2016 10:46 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
DLJ Wrote:We have both traveled extensively. My experience has been that these rules have been successfully created/evolved in all the countries in which I have lived... is it possible for Murika to do likewise? If not, what are the impediments?

Talk about "nail on head". I think about precisely this all the time. I don't know how to fix it. in under a generation or two, at least, and with a level of cooperation I just don't see happening. Basically the same sort of problems the liberal ideas about gun control face, really.

Thanks for that detailed reply.

Then, we had similar upbringings wrt discipline... including my dad being a WWII vet. I grew up in a rural setting but was not actually a farm boy.

On a side note, most of my flatmates during my 7 years in Singapore were Vietnamese girls. One of the more educated/life-experienced girls shared a term that was often used to describe some of her less educated friends... she'd say "they're from the farm" (meaning rice-farm, usually).

It was somewhat derogatory but to quote from Genesis:
Gabriel Wrote:I'd rather trust a countryman than a town-man,
You can judge by his eyes, take a look if you can,
He'll smile through his guard,
Survival trains hard.
I'd rather trust a man who works with his hands,
He looks at you once, you know he understands,
Don't need any shield,
When you're out in the field.

In one of the gun threads (I think yours), Girly suggested a method of gun control based on the US organisational structure (federal/state/county etc.) and I was trying to nudge him into thinking slightly different i.e. taking into account cultural differences derived from up-bringing i.e. settlers vs. prospectors vs. pioneers.

I'm not sure he noticed my post but I think that this is the basis of the solution ... for example, why would 'settlers' (in and with large, complex overlapping cultures) need weaponry except for self-defense? If we recognise that there is no other reason we can start to investigate methods that remove the causes of the fears that lead to that need for self-defense. Likewise, we can start to see that settlers in rural areas and pioneers, for example, would have different needs.

The essence relates to how biological organisms interrelate symbiotically i.e through mutualism, commensalism, parasitism and/or competition.

Your description of life on a ranch ... " Everyone depends on each other, and it's often potentially fatal if your partner doesn't hold up his end" ... is a fine example of 'mutualism'.

For a city to function non-violently, mutualism, commensalism and peaceful competition need to be incentivised and parasitism and aggressive (non-legal) competition need to be penalised.

In support of this I quote two TTA members:
(15-06-2016 04:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
I am of the opinion that you can divide people into three camps:
Camp A) Those that are afraid of anything that has to do with Nature and think everything wants to eat them. I call them shopping mall people.
Camp B) Those that think the world is benign and go pet Bison on the head and walk up to Grizzly bears to photograph them or take their two year old to a lake where gator signs are posted.
Camp C) Those who understand that precautions must always be taken and knowledge of your surroundings is part of that precaution then go out and enjoy the great outdoors.
As my brother from Camp A says, “Nature, you scary”.
As my brother form Camp B says, “What do you suppose would happen if I tried to touch that thing? Let’s find out.”
Me: Hold on while I get my camera.

(10-08-2016 06:11 AM)Banjo Wrote:  ...
It depends where one lives too. If you're in the bush surrounded by mountain lions or bears, a gun is fine. If you live in a suburb with semi automatic weapons, WTF???

Where Girly may have it right is his view that local policies, based on federally derived principles are more like to succeed than federally imposed policies. I say that because I bow to his greater knowledge (than mine) of US principles, policies and organisational structures.

Personally, I suspect that local policies based on local principles based on shared values might be how to start the ball rolling... assuming that the US as a whole can agree upon some shared values.

As a start point, perhaps John Locke had a point when he spoke about... life, liberty and the pursuit of property... later modified in the Declaration of Independence.

Anyway, we can move this stuff back to your Gun Control thread if you like so that this thread can be re-railed back on topic.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
14-08-2016, 12:37 PM
(14-08-2016 10:16 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:If girly didn't like ya, he wouldn't bother with ya.

Holy shite...I hope he doesn't fall in love with me!

Worse things could happen to you. Big Grin

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
14-08-2016, 12:42 PM
I disagree with a lot of people here and over at AF in regards to political views. It's hardly anything to leave over though.
[+] 1 user Likes Lucipurr's post
14-08-2016, 12:45 PM
(14-08-2016 12:42 PM)Lucipurr Wrote:  I disagree with a lot of people here and over at AF in regards to political views. It's hardly anything to leave over though.

Yabut... you're Scottish.

Disagreeing is genetic.

Angel

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
14-08-2016, 12:57 PM
(14-08-2016 12:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-08-2016 12:42 PM)Lucipurr Wrote:  I disagree with a lot of people here and over at AF in regards to political views. It's hardly anything to leave over though.

Yabut... you're Scottish.

Disagreeing is genetic.

Angel

We can be disagreeable without disagreeing. - Famous Scottish Adage

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post