Thanks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2016, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2016 03:07 PM by adey67.)
RE: Thanks
(14-08-2016 09:49 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:You do seem to have the right temperament to have some good discussions here, I'd probably cry if you decided to leave for good, and I'm an ugly crier, so you should just shut up and keep posting.

Thanks eh...I've been in the hospital this past week, I was recovering from hernia surgery and developed a nasty infection. I've been on dilaudid and norco and morphine and damned if I know what else, and I think it stirred my pot a little...I usually don't let stuff like that bother me, I have lived my life by one axiom...I'll do it until it stops being fun. I was definitely having more fun here than not, but the drugs made me fixate on one thing, I guess, and tipped the scales. I'm home and back on just norco now, so hopefully all is well.

If that is the cause, sorry guys...if it wasn't, I think I hit menopause. Or andropause. or something. Sorry, anyhow. Angel

Mmmmmm dilaudid yummyBig Grin Great to have you back.... You're ours now bitch Evil_monster Hobo Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2016, 11:58 PM
Oh, wherever you think this thread should be is fine...I tend to make messes. No

I agree with what you said in just about every detail, actually...keeping the lawmakers more homegrown certainly makes sense to me, as they have a much better understanding of not only the requirements of their segment of society, but hopefully of it's capabilities and limitations.

There is one area where liberals and conservatives just aren't on the same page when it comes to guns, even when they think they are...at least, most of the time.

Liberals are always talking about the reasons for owning guns. Dangerous neighborhoods, country vs urban, etc. Conservatives grind their teeth and try not to shoot anyone when this happens, lol.

To me, and I'll go ahead and say "us", meaning people with my background and not necessarily all conservatives...maybe I want to own guns because I want to own guns. I don't think I need to justify WHY. I haven't robbed or intimidated or killed or broken any other law- why should I have to give a reason or justify my actions? Maybe I'm most concerned about a corrupt government...maybe I like to hunt...maybe I compete in shooting events...maybe I just love the history and mechanical engineering involved or the feel of old wood and blued steel...maybe they're simply investments...whatever my reason , it's MY reason. I'm not a criminal, nor are the VAST majority of gun owners...why does the government have it's nose up my ass?

And as paranoid as it sounds, every government on earth that devolved into a dictatorship or despot/overbearing/murdering/etc etc government, began by disarming it's subjects. It's difficult to run ragged over a populace that is ready and equipped to resist effectively. Even if it never happens...it's a bit like MAD- mutually assured destruction, a terrible concept that unfortunately, is effective. The government is afraid of pushing too hard because we COULD decide to rise up.

I could give you examples based on the actions of Hillary during her lifetime to frighten you, but I have a feeling it'll be more effective if you make up your own based on a Trump victory. Big Grin

Somehow Americans believe it couldn't happen to us, we're above all that, etc...but keep in mind, we're 241 years old. Other countries have shoes older than us. And they have fallen to coups or revolution.

So having a reason is...almost an insult to most conservatives. I don't need a reason other than I enjoy firearms. This may not sound important, but when the conversation starts off with a concept like this, one side of the table is already feeling defensive and going for the throat in response. Nothing important gets accomplished.

Humans. Bah... Weeping
15-08-2016, 12:10 AM
Quote:Mmmmmm dilaudid yummyBig Grin Great to have you back.... You're ours now bitch Evil_monster Hobo Tongue

Lol..thanks! Unsure

I had a really bad accident years ago, and am frequently on opiates- had to live with it until I retired, mostly, but since then the doctors have insisted I relieve my body's stress by going to a pain management doctor, who really has me juiced up every day. So when I went in the hospital with this infection, they gave me...alot more. I think the dose I received every 4 hours alone would put most folks in a coma or at least respiratory distress.

I was on Norco 10/325, 2 ever 2 hours, Dilaudid every 4 hours, alternating with Morphine for some reason. 3800 mg/daily of neurontin, iv antibiotics and Zohydro ER 50mg every 12 hours, with Darvocet available PRN .

I actually saw Elvis, and we played some Judas Priest covers together. It rocked. He plays a mean ukelele.
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
15-08-2016, 05:34 AM
(15-08-2016 12:10 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:Mmmmmm dilaudid yummyBig Grin Great to have you back.... You're ours now bitch Evil_monster Hobo Tongue

Lol..thanks! Unsure

I had a really bad accident years ago, and am frequently on opiates- had to live with it until I retired, mostly, but since then the doctors have insisted I relieve my body's stress by going to a pain management doctor, who really has me juiced up every day. So when I went in the hospital with this infection, they gave me...alot more. I think the dose I received every 4 hours alone would put most folks in a coma or at least respiratory distress.

I was on Norco 10/325, 2 ever 2 hours, Dilaudid every 4 hours, alternating with Morphine for some reason. 3800 mg/daily of neurontin, iv antibiotics and Zohydro ER 50mg every 12 hours, with Darvocet available PRN .

I actually saw Elvis, and we played some Judas Priest covers together. It rocked. He plays a mean ukelele.
That's some heavy meds right there I'm sorry you have this chronic pain it must have been very hard working in law enforcement with that level of discomfort.
15-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Quote:That's some heavy meds right there I'm sorry you have this chronic pain it must have been very hard working in law enforcement with that level of discomfort.

Thanks! No, I was in LE during the 90's, I started flying in 1984, and worked for the Sheriff's department while with the airline much later. My accident occurred while flying in Alaska in 2001. It was initially resolved, mostly, but as I'm getting older it is getting worse. Several surgeries haven't fixed it...it's one of the reasons I chose to retire earlier than I needed to. Mandatory retirement in the airlines is 60, but my health and the post 9/11 aviation world just made me decide to jump ship as soon as I had a decent retirement income earned. I don't think I could have functioned in LE, definitely not in SWAT, like I am now--SWAT trains every day, and you train like you fight. I was in the best shape of my life during that period. The FAA certainly won't let you fly on opiates, and it's a pilot's responsibility to determine whether things like chronic pain are too much of a distraction for safe flight. Life...meh. Dodgy
15-08-2016, 12:27 PM
(15-08-2016 12:17 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:That's some heavy meds right there I'm sorry you have this chronic pain it must have been very hard working in law enforcement with that level of discomfort.

Thanks! No, I was in LE during the 90's, I started flying in 1984, and worked for the Sheriff's department while with the airline much later. My accident occurred while flying in Alaska in 2001. It was initially resolved, mostly, but as I'm getting older it is getting worse. Several surgeries haven't fixed it...it's one of the reasons I chose to retire earlier than I needed to. Mandatory retirement in the airlines is 60, but my health and the post 9/11 aviation world just made me decide to jump ship as soon as I had a decent retirement income earned. I don't think I could have functioned in LE, definitely not in SWAT, like I am now--SWAT trains every day, and you train like you fight. I was in the best shape of my life during that period. The FAA certainly won't let you fly on opiates, and it's a pilot's responsibility to determine whether things like chronic pain are too much of a distraction for safe flight. Life...meh. Dodgy
Although our politics is different I respect you and am glad to know you my friendHeart
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
15-08-2016, 12:46 PM
(15-08-2016 12:27 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(15-08-2016 12:17 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Thanks! No, I was in LE during the 90's, I started flying in 1984, and worked for the Sheriff's department while with the airline much later. My accident occurred while flying in Alaska in 2001. It was initially resolved, mostly, but as I'm getting older it is getting worse. Several surgeries haven't fixed it...it's one of the reasons I chose to retire earlier than I needed to. Mandatory retirement in the airlines is 60, but my health and the post 9/11 aviation world just made me decide to jump ship as soon as I had a decent retirement income earned. I don't think I could have functioned in LE, definitely not in SWAT, like I am now--SWAT trains every day, and you train like you fight. I was in the best shape of my life during that period. The FAA certainly won't let you fly on opiates, and it's a pilot's responsibility to determine whether things like chronic pain are too much of a distraction for safe flight. Life...meh. Dodgy
Although our politics is different I respect you and am glad to know you my friendHeart

Same here! Thumbsup Other than right now, in this...twisted time, politics is so meaningless to most of us. There are things that are just SO much more important. It's easy to forget that with all of the roaring and screaming and preaching going on right now. In the end, just have your friends' backs, to hell with politics! Hug
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post
15-08-2016, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2016 02:04 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(14-08-2016 10:09 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  To say that violence never solves problems is...just ridiculous.

Well, it's a good thing I never said that, then! The point you were replying to read, "I've never seen the point of resorting to physical violence in response to words and don't practice it myself."

Seems like you didn't read the last half of that thought.

(14-08-2016 10:09 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Violence has solved more problems in world history than any other force. Think we could have just asked Hitler nicely to stop doing what he did? Mussolini? Bin Laden? Saddam Hussein?

See, this is one reason why you're having problems, and it was an issue at AF as well. You're trying to saddle me with thoughts I haven't expressed in order to swat 'em down. Perhaps when we're talking you should stick to what I actually, you know, wrote? That's the courteous thing to do.

The discussion about the success rate of violence is another thread, too.

(14-08-2016 10:09 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Different beliefs, obviously. It's odd that we take the fact that we don't believe in a
heavenly father" together without a problem, but something as basic as standing up for yourself throws us a curve. We do it differently...why does it have to be such a point of contention? We probably tie our shoes differently too...

I've got no problem standing up for myself, and I've been in my share of scraps. But I don't, and won't, throw the first blow on the basis of words alone. I think such an approach is counterproductive. If words ain't working to change someone's mind, fists sure as hell won't. And if I'm so thin-skinned that words drive me into a throat-punching rage, then I've got bigger problems than some guy disagreeing with me.

(14-08-2016 10:09 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Gee, thanks thumpy! Alternately, there are some real assholes at AF as well! AF was the first forum I ever joined, I was unaware at the time that atheists and liberals were damned near synonymous , and after learning that nothing I had to say was going to be popular, I left...politely, I believe. The "Thinking" atheist sounded a bit more reasonable , and it has been. I was on AF for...what, 5 hours? I wouldn't exactly call that a frenzy or a spree...or even a pattern.

Just reporting the facts that I know.

There are real assholes everywhere you go in life. Learning to get past that fact has helped me tremendously in dealing with folks.

I hope you decide to stay, but that doesn't mean that folks are always, or even often going to agree with you. Online, you stand up for yourself with words.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
15-08-2016, 02:51 PM
Hmm...thought we were past all of this.
Everything is good- you tend to dissect my comments a little more thoroughly than I'm used to, and I think sometimes you attribute more meaning than I intended, but we'll figure it out, it's not a problem. I tend to speak in generalities a lot, and use metaphors constantly, it's just my style, or how my brain works.
You tend to think and speak very precisely, so I think we miss each other's true meanings sometimes. For instance, I wasn't accusing you of saying violence never solves anything- I have heard this comment or similar comments a lot from the liberal side...so I was saying that liberals sometimes don't recognize or accept the true nature of the world, of humanity.
I'm not even sure I understand your second comment about saddling you with thoughts you hadn't expressed...again, it is my nature to generalize, and I'm thinking and expressing those thoughts that apply- in my opinion- to the liberal viewpoint. Regardless, I am expressing what I think and believe..and that's why I'm here. I didn't ask for a lesson on how to do that...I'm not a child, nor am I an idiot. You feel free to express your beliefs your way, and I will respect that...I expect the same.
You keep talking about "my problem at AF"...I disagree. They are intolerant and don't accept alternate viewpoints except through a very small window, expressed a certain way, and I find that to be their problem. I come from a different world than you do, apparently...quit trying to make me conform to your paradigm...I have my own, and I like it. I'm happy to have conversations and debates and arguments, as long as they don't just devolve into unthinking profanity and ridicule, and I'll accept those arguments in whatever manner you choose to present them. So stop with the judging and attempts at teaching, please...I am who I am, and I am wiling to listen to you and ponder what you say, but I am not willing to convert to Thumpism, ok? Big Grin Not without a few glasses of "punch" and perhaps some special "Brownies", anyway. SmartassSmartass

Seriously, I don't understand this tendency for you to think I'm broken and therefore need to be repaired so I conform to your views or techniques...well, I guess I feel the same way about you if I don't restrain the urge. It's in a man's nature to fix problems and to me, some of your views and many liberal views in general are deeply flawed, and I want to just sit every liberal down and explain the "World as it really is!" But I don't, because I respect your right to believe any silly thing you want Laughat and honestly, I don't know that I'm right and you're wrong, it's just what I believe based on the data my life has provided thus far. Same as you and yours.

So accept me or let me know and I'll move on, brother. You are a good guy, I have no doubt, and I think we could drink some beers and strum some strings together and have some fun. But I play the way I play, and while I'll watch you and maybe pick up a trick or technique...I still play my own way. Consider

We really need a smilie rocking out with a gee-tar.

Cool? Cool