Thanks, God!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks, God!
So, my brother recently woke up in the hospital, having had a seizure in the middle of the night and being found by his roommate.

After a marathon of tests, it was determined that he had some kind of blood vessel abnormality in his frontal lobe that was causing it. Specifically, an AVM that poses a threat for hemorrhaging and stroke. The seizure was a result of the weaker cells around that blood vessel. He's going to a neurologist at the end of the year to explore treatment options.

Here's the part that got me.

After he explained this to me, he felt the need to tack on: "God has really blessed me by using this seizure to help the doctors find the problem before it got worse."

While I agree that it's good it was caught early, why equate this to god's work? This kind of stuff drives me crazy. Like Castro's victims thanking God for helping them escape after 10 years of captivity, rape, and physical abuse.

This kind of stuff just drives me nuts. Does this drive anyone else up the wall?

PS: I haven't come out as a deconverted Christian to my family yet (and I likely never will) so I have to bite my tongue on this stuff.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2013, 08:26 AM
RE: Thanks, God!
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...634?page=9
We like to thank the deity here. Thank YOU. Tongue

AVM's are pretty easy to treat. Might involve surgery tho.
(Never saw one go bad, in my LONG career Dodgy )

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
18-12-2013, 08:32 AM
(18-12-2013 08:26 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...634?page=9

Oh, didn't see that thread.

Slightly off topic, but what is your career?
18-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Thank a doctor...geez Louise.
Often the body gives us clues as to things that are going wrong within. Some of us are more tuned in to those things.

Sure is one of those 'bite your tongue moments'!

Hope the medical staff get him all fixed up real soon!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
18-12-2013, 08:46 AM
(18-12-2013 08:32 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 08:26 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...634?page=9

Oh, didn't see that thread.

Insufferable know it all? Angel Says right there in his sig.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 4 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
18-12-2013, 08:53 AM
(18-12-2013 08:46 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 08:32 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  Oh, didn't see that thread.

Insufferable know it all? Angel Says right there in his sig.

Oh, I figured that was a description of his character Big Grin

People call me a douchecanoe but that doesn't make it my occupation Wink
[+] 3 users Like Jasozz's post
18-12-2013, 09:08 AM
(18-12-2013 08:14 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  So, my brother recently woke up in the hospital, having had a seizure in the middle of the night and being found by his roommate.

After a marathon of tests, it was determined that he had some kind of blood vessel abnormality in his frontal lobe that was causing it. Specifically, an AVM that poses a threat for hemorrhaging and stroke. The seizure was a result of the weaker cells around that blood vessel. He's going to a neurologist at the end of the year to explore treatment options.

After he explained this to me, he felt the need to tack on: "God has really blessed me by using this seizure to help the doctors find the problem before it got worse."

While I agree that it's good it was caught early, why equate this to god's work? This kind of stuff drives me crazy. Like Castro's victims thanking God for helping them escape after 10 years of captivity, rape, and physical abuse.

This kind of stuff just drives me nuts. Does this drive anyone else up the wall?

It drives me nuts too. People always want to twist things into whatever they want it to be to make their god look like the good guy. Unless, of course, you're atheist. Then it's always their god punishing you. Here's a perfect example of how religious people do this:

A tornado comes through their town:

1. Their house gets blown to bits, they say "Thank God for saving me!"

2. An atheist's house gets blown to bits, but they survive: "God is punishing you for being an atheist!"

3. One of their relatives has their house blown to bits and dies: "Well, they're with God now!"

You just can't win. They will always twist it into whatever they want it to be.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
18-12-2013, 09:18 AM
(18-12-2013 09:08 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 08:14 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  So, my brother recently woke up in the hospital, having had a seizure in the middle of the night and being found by his roommate.

It drives me nuts too. People always want to twist things into whatever they want it to be to make their god look like the good guy. Unless, of course, you're atheist. Then it's always their god punishing you. Here's a perfect example of how religious people do this:

A tornado comes through their town:

1. Their house gets blown to bits, they say "Thank God for saving me!"

2. An atheist's house gets blown to bits, but they survive: "God is punishing you for being an atheist!"

3. One of their relatives has their house blown to bits and dies: "Well, they're with God now!"

You just can't win. They will always twist it into whatever they want it to be.

When I volunteered in the Moore, Oklahoma disaster cleanup earlier this year, I remember one of the group leaders said something about how it was a miracle that the one guy whose lot we were helping clear had survived (this was all slab housing, so no basements) and was thanking God for giving him protection, and this just INFURIATED. Try telling that to the families of the 30-some people who were killed. I guess God just didn't care enough about them.
18-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Wow! This is astoundingly similar to what I am currently going through with my family.
Late last week my five year old niece was rushed to the hospital after having a seizure after she got home from school. CT scans revealed she had a brain tumor. All the thank god bullshit is ridiculous.

The doctors surgically removed the tumor yesterday morning since the tumor was located on the surface of the brain and it was considered the easiest option that would also put least amount of strain on my niece. They got all of the tumor and are testing it to see if it was benign/malignant. (fingers crossed) She is doing fine! She is awake and as ornery as she ever was! (She was quite upset that no one would get her any chocolate milk when she woke up!)

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
[+] 1 user Likes Crulax's post
18-12-2013, 09:49 AM
(18-12-2013 09:48 AM)Crulax Wrote:  Wow! This is astoundingly similar to what I am currently going through with my family.
Late last week my five year old niece was rushed to the hospital after having a seizure after she got home from school. CT scans revealed she had a brain tumor. All the thank god bullshit is ridiculous.

The doctors surgically removed the tumor yesterday morning since the tumor was located on the surface of the brain and it was considered the easiest option that would also put least amount of strain on my niece. They got all of the tumor and are testing it to see if it was benign/malignant. (fingers crossed) She is doing fine! She is awake and as ornery as she ever was! (She was quite upset that no one would get her any chocolate milk when she woke up!)

Understandable. If I come back from something like brain surgery, there'd better damn well be chocolate milk waiting for me.
[+] 6 users Like Jasozz's post