Thanks, God!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2013, 12:05 PM
RE: Thanks, God!
Yeah, I never understood that*. People thank God for acting in some medical way to alert people to a problem... that humans fix. No one ever asks how the problem got there (was it God?) or why God just didn't fix it (mysterious ways!), but they thank him for inflicting a symptom on them.

*This is actually not true. I used to believe this sort of thing. I can chalk it up to cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias. They want to believe God, so they'll find him anywhere they look.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2013, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 01:39 PM by docskeptic.)
Jasozz,
Here's wishing your brother all the best. As a physician, I can tell you that the AVM in his brain (assuming that's what it is) can be easily fixed. An angiogram followed by the deployment of a coil within the offending vessel should obliterate it. If not, surgery is an option.

My tongue has developed calluses from all the tongue-biting I've done when I hear the "Thank God..." from my believing family. Like you, I've not come out to them as an atheist.

BTW, what does your name mean?

Doc
18-12-2013, 12:32 PM
(18-12-2013 12:31 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Jasozz,
Here's wishing your brother all the best. As a physician, I can tell you that the AVM in his brain (assuming that's what it is) can be easily fixed. An angiogram followed by the deployment of a coil within the offending vessel should obliterate it. If not, surgery is an option.

My tongue has developed calluses from all the tongue-biting I've done when I hear the "Thank God..." from my believng family. Like you, I've not come out to them as an atheist.

BTW, what does your name mean?

Doc

Jasozz? Haha, well, my real name is Jason, and a while back when the Wii first came out, I was trying to create a Mii for myself, and while trying to hit the "N" to end my name, the Wii-mote spazzed out and hit the "Z", and when I tried to backspace, it freaked out and hit the "Z" again, and I basically submitted to the almighty will of the I.R. sensor and accepted "Jasozz"

I've sort of just used it as my username for basically everything since then, even named my graphic design business after it Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Jasozz's post
18-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Sorry for the double-post here, but I just wanted to thank everyone for their support here too. I guess I forgot to mention that I do love my brother and was pretty broken up to hear what happened.