Thanks and Howdy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks and Howdy
First thank you to Seth and everyone here!!!

A synopsis of my previous self: I was raised Lutheran (Missouri synod), first time through college went to a Lutheran (Missouri synod) University, played football at that university, taught at a Lutheran school (Missouri synod). While teaching started working on a Masters at a public university but with frustrations of the school and love of another subject obtained another Bachelor degree. I had 3 professors from Asian countries while working on that second degree and talked about many things with one of them, including theism, and he let me know of his atheism. I decided it was time to read even more and well I am now here.

My new self has been at events by Center for Inquiry, regional humanist and free thought conferences. I have also read a stack of books by atheists/ex-pastors/ex-missionaries.

My only, small, remaining qualm is why I didn't throw away faith while reading the bible from beginning to end the first I did that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like wisergeek's post
29-01-2013, 09:35 PM
RE: Thanks and Howdy
Welcome to TTA Smile

I hope you get as much out of this site as I have Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
30-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Hello and welcome!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
31-01-2013, 11:41 PM
(30-01-2013 12:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hello and welcome!
Thanks for that pic you use. That was also one of my many struggles with the "god" of the bible.
01-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Welcome Smile
01-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Howdy howdy ho. [Image: Tip-Hat.gif]

(29-01-2013 08:08 PM)wisergeek Wrote:  My only, small, remaining qualm is why I didn't throw away faith while reading the bible from beginning to end the first I did that.

Don't feel bad. Took me 3x cover-to-cover. But I did that all before I was 15 yo, 'cause I went to a Lutheran School K-9 and whatnot. Tongue

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Welcome

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
01-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay!

Science investigates, religion interprets.

I got my first like....[Image: weeping.gif] Thank you!
01-02-2013, 07:29 PM
(29-01-2013 08:08 PM)wisergeek Wrote:  First thank you to Seth and everyone here!!!

A synopsis of my previous self: I was raised Lutheran (Missouri synod), first time through college went to a Lutheran (Missouri synod) University, played football at that university, taught at a Lutheran school (Missouri synod). While teaching started working on a Masters at a public university but with frustrations of the school and love of another subject obtained another Bachelor degree. I had 3 professors from Asian countries while working on that second degree and talked about many things with one of them, including theism, and he let me know of his atheism. I decided it was time to read even more and well I am now here.

My new self has been at events by Center for Inquiry, regional humanist and free thought conferences. I have also read a stack of books by atheists/ex-pastors/ex-missionaries.

My only, small, remaining qualm is why I didn't throw away faith while reading the bible from beginning to end the first I did that.
Welcome?

You sound like someone I know Consider

No Unitarian connections perchance?
02-02-2013, 07:45 PM
(01-02-2013 07:29 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(29-01-2013 08:08 PM)wisergeek Wrote:  First thank you to Seth and everyone here!!!

Welcome?

You sound like someone I know Consider

No Unitarian connections perchance?
I did at one time work with a Unitarian but that is it. One of my current work colleagues does music work at many churches but only describes himself as a deist.