Thanks for everything TTA forum! (not a goodbye thread)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2013, 02:10 AM
Thanks for everything TTA forum! (not a goodbye thread)
This thread is growing exponentially every day. It's to the point where there are 6 pages of new posts every day for me to skim. This forum will soon become too popular for me (with so many new posts that I can't possibly keep up and each of your comments getting buried in a sea of posts before you can hit the refresh button). And rightly so because Seth deserves the popularity and subscribers. So I just wanted to reminisce about the good ol' times before this thing completely explodes and I am forced to watch quietly from the corner.

I found this forum after I was more or less kicked out of my regular forum at nightly.net. It was a Star Wars forum... so I have no idea how that was my regular forum, but regardless my growing atheism was being met with some hostility. I believe I discovered TTA's youtube videos and forum link through comments and recommendations from TheAmazingAtheist's channel. I didn't realize until reading Seth's book that the videos and this forum were actually his official coming out declaration to his friends and family (which explains why he didn't personally post in the forum).

I started off slow, posting the usual starter stuff (Hitler and "Atheist Wars" - "Who are your favorite atheists" type stuff). But I bonded with the old crew of Unbeliever, Stark, BnW, gaglamesh, Cetaceaphile, ashley.hunt, gamutman, No. J, Observer, and Lilith and my mind was expanded and my viewpoints were solidified.

Unbeliever was unforgiving and told every newcomer, regardless of religious beliefs, how incredibly wrong they were in great detail. So I had to stay on my game with each post.

BnW and Observer were my intellectual rivals, forcing me to learn new things daily if I hoped to keep up. Later, when someone suggested the vain and crazy idea of a Reputation and Like system, Observer and I raced to 100 Likes Received without mentioning out loud that we were racing until (ahem) I got there first.

Lilith sent me some interesting pictures to show me just what a transgender person looks like downstairs - even though I don't remember stating that curiosity. If anyone wants to hack my forum Inbox and have a look, have at it.

No. J would bring with him the vibe of a biker, just come in off the road with an old leather jacket and many stories to tell. He'd sit quietly and strum the guitar in the background.

I don't remember a specific incident with Stark, mostly because he was high all the time, sitting around looking like this.

Cetaceaphile would just draw pictures of dolphins all day.

The forum was small, relaxed, everyone knew everyone else.

Then most of the crew simply got tired of posting and drifted away. A bunch of fresh faces joined and new crew formed. More or less consisting of the moderators, the frequent posters, and the recently departed users. They had there own personalities and pros and cons. HoC didn't make a single understandable thread until about 500 posts in. Along the way my knowledge and confidence blossomed, grew, expanded, and established roots. Before the forum, my atheist talking points could fit on a post-it note. Now, I hold the power of IronChariots in my mental repertoire.

The forum had transitioned from just a few best friends in a tree house to a roving biker gang, cruising around town. There are more of us and we didn't know each other quite as well, but it still isn't bad. We had grown from a platoon to a battalion of atheists. From a Band of Brothers to a Company of Heroes.

And I just wanted to say while I still can, before we escalate to a full blown Brigade... thanks for everything, TTA.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Buddy Christ's post
10-02-2013, 02:19 AM
RE: Thanks for everything TTA forum! (not a goodbye thread)
Your welcome.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
10-02-2013, 02:22 AM
Awesome, dude.

I wish I hadn't seen that pic of Stark... my illusions are shattered.

Although I joined much later than you (happy anniversary to me etc.) I had the same kinda experience but obviously with different players.

I too have learned a lot and am grateful.

... to everyone

... except Muffsy

of course.

Heart

10-02-2013, 02:41 AM
... I'd say Buddy is welcome, but I am not sure I have the capacity to do so yet.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
10-02-2013, 02:50 AM
Dodgy

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
10-02-2013, 02:51 AM
(10-02-2013 02:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Your welcome.

*You're

Nazi'd ya.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
10-02-2013, 02:53 AM
(10-02-2013 02:10 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  And I just wanted to say while I still can, before we escalate to a full blown Brigade... thanks for everything, TTA.
We just might. Wink

Cheers to you Buddy.

It has been an interesting trip, hasn't it? It feels like the forum is starting on it's ... well, third wave for you ... second wave for me... the n00bs will always be n00bs.

Cheers to TTA for helping to make our days a little less insane.
Heart

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-02-2013, 06:57 AM
(10-02-2013 02:10 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  it still isn't bad.
Wow, I'm so very touched. I will treasure this until the day I draw my last breath.

[Image: sobbing1.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
10-02-2013, 08:01 AM
(10-02-2013 02:10 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  From a Band of Brothers to a Company of Heroes.
[Image: 32291687.jpg]

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
10-02-2013, 08:02 AM
I found that this matches the moment.

No, it is not shitty dubstep.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]