Thanksgiving?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2013, 03:39 PM
RE: Thanksgiving?
(17-11-2013 09:08 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Can somebody explain to me how is stuffing your face with turkey is supposed to serve as "thanks" to the natives?

It's not a celebration giving thanks to the natives. It was a celebration for the first bountiful fall harvests. Stories of sharing this harvest with native people are part of more modern American folklore intended to tell a story of coming together native populations and the recent transplanted colonists. In the US, often ideas of divine providence and special blessing of the American people are attached to the celebration. Otherwise it is just a harvest fest. So there is enough secular going on to make it a holiday all can celebrate.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2013, 03:54 PM
(17-11-2013 08:23 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  How do guys do it at your place?

Me, my mom, my brother, his whore, his ex-wife, my uncle, and creepy 2nd cousins will sit in resentful silence over Duck à L'Orange and apple treacle tart. At least until someone digs up family secrets and then the screaming starts.

Can you film this and share? This sounds awesome. Also, why would your brother invite his girlfriend AND his ex-wife? WTF?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
17-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Jerry! Jerry!
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
17-11-2013, 05:33 PM
I eat a lot of good food that other people cook, then all the other men in the family watch football. I wait around until I can't take it anymore. Sometimes I go outside and toss a football around with my cousins and drink beer. It's okay.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
17-11-2013, 05:35 PM
(17-11-2013 03:54 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(17-11-2013 08:23 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  How do guys do it at your place?

Me, my mom, my brother, his whore, his ex-wife, my uncle, and creepy 2nd cousins will sit in resentful silence over Duck à L'Orange and apple treacle tart. At least until someone digs up family secrets and then the screaming starts.
Can you film this and share? This sounds awesome. Also, why would your brother invite his girlfriend AND his ex-wife? WTF?
Because he's dumb that way
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-11-2013, 05:47 PM
(17-11-2013 03:39 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(17-11-2013 09:08 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Can somebody explain to me how is stuffing your face with turkey is supposed to serve as "thanks" to the natives?

It's not a celebration giving thanks to the natives. It was a celebration for the first bountiful fall harvests. Stories of sharing this harvest with native people are part of more modern American folklore intended to tell a story of coming together native populations and the recent transplanted colonists. In the US, often ideas of divine providence and special blessing of the American people are attached to the celebration. Otherwise it is just a harvest fest. So there is enough secular going on to make it a holiday all can celebrate.

Oh, thanks, I had the wrong story.
Now that I think about it, I have no idea where I got it from. I thought it's about pilgrims who didn't have enough food and the winter was coming and then natives gave them food....

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
17-11-2013, 06:12 PM
(17-11-2013 05:47 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(17-11-2013 03:39 PM)BryanS Wrote:  It's not a celebration giving thanks to the natives. It was a celebration for the first bountiful fall harvests. Stories of sharing this harvest with native people are part of more modern American folklore intended to tell a story of coming together native populations and the recent transplanted colonists. In the US, often ideas of divine providence and special blessing of the American people are attached to the celebration. Otherwise it is just a harvest fest. So there is enough secular going on to make it a holiday all can celebrate.

Oh, thanks, I had the wrong story.
Now that I think about it, I have no idea where I got it from. I thought it's about pilgrims who didn't have enough food and the winter was coming and then natives gave them food....

That's the gradeschool version of the story. Like I say, the story has from time to time been embellished.
17-11-2013, 06:20 PM
For the past few years, I've been going to my cousin's house and having dinner with him, his wife, our uncle Bill, and sometimes my mom. It's pretty quiet and uneventful. I will be baking a white chocolate raspberry cheesecake like i do every other year.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Taking a trip to Arkansas for Thanksgiving! But I just found out I'll miss out on this Sadcryface2
MST3K Marathon.
Durn it!
21-11-2013, 10:57 PM
We (my fellow foreign co-workers and I) are throwing together a thanksgiving feast over here with whatever ingredients we can find! Luckily we found a turkey, but hot damn it was expensive! I'm taking the recipes from my mom and grandma and doing the best I can with them. It'll be my first time making cornbread dressing and sweet potato casserole! And of course I'll be making my favorite: gingerbread cookies! Big Grin They're not just for Christmas!