Thanksgiving frolics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2016, 08:36 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2016 09:40 AM by adey67.)
Thanksgiving frolics
Well guys Thanksgiving is just round the corner and I'm wondering how my American friends celebrate, what foods do you eat, any traditions your families have, any peculiar foibles or superstitions ? Paint a picture for me with words.
Oh....... I nearly forgot....

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you all Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2016, 08:54 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2016 12:06 PM by jennybee.)
RE: Thanksgiving frolics
I am just having a few friends over, nothing crazy. Most of my family lives far away from me so no family dramz to deal with this holiday season Wink

I have a combo of vegetarian and meat eater guests, so I make several things to accommodate everyone. So for me and my veg crew I make a lentil loaf and for the meat people, my bf makes a turkey. Then I make the sides. which everyone can eat. This year's sides will be roasted potatoes, peas and mushrooms, cornbread stuffing, and cranberry sauce. Appetizers are going to probably be crudites, cheese (vegan and reg.), olive tapenade, crackers, and date coconut rolls. I also put out some shelled nuts with a nutcracker that people seem to like while they are waiting on dinner. Later for dessert, I make baked pears and top them with vanilla (dairy/non-dairy) ice cream.

We basically just eat and drink, that's really my Thanksgiving Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
18-11-2016, 09:06 AM
I'll post some Thanksgiving memes then listen to my Lakota half brothers bitch and complain about genocide and the hypocrisy of Thanksgiving and stuff like that and then I'll call it a day. Maybe I'll bring a rotisserie chicken or a duck from Chinatown to work if I get called in for some overtime.

We already had Canadian Thanksgiving and I won't be back in 'Merica this month.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
18-11-2016, 09:23 AM
We're going to a restaurant, so that we can enjoy spending time together rather than stressing out about cooking. (I hate everything about cooking, especially fancy meals.) I'm looking forward to some combination of turkey, sweet potato, cranberries, rolls, and pie.

Might spend the morning at the HS football game so my son can catch up with some of his friends.

We used to do the extended family Thanksgiving-style gatherings, which were stressful and unpleasant and involved lots of time driving hither and yon, but now pretty much nobody in either of our families has much to do with anyone else, so it's just us nuclear peeps.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
18-11-2016, 09:56 AM
We used to do the big family get-together and meal, but it was always more stressful than enjoyable (especially for my parents, who had to do the cooking and cleaning), and all the members of my immediate family are long gone. I no longer do anything special for Thanksgiving. It is a day off of work, and that's good, but I won't eat anything different than I do on any other day off, and I will not be watching any football (or any TV at all). On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I will be in Eau Claire (150-200 miles northwest of Madison, near Minnesota's Twin Cities) playing in a chess tournament. I am looking forward to that. I direct a lot of tournaments, so my chances to play are limited. This will be my first chance to play since mid-October, and my last chance until next February.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
18-11-2016, 12:28 PM
we contemplated traveling that week, but the weather is not cooperating.
My niece is in the catering business and one of the hotels she works at offered her a banquet room and the kitchen facilities and discounted room rates.
My family makes a ton of pumpkin pies, traditional turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy, brussels sprouts sliced and baked in oils and spices, cranberry salad, rolls, green salad, and all sorts of vegan fare for the vegans.
Dinner will be followed by a karaoke session, cards, naps, or comas if you prefer.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
18-11-2016, 01:16 PM
We usually have a small group of just our two college age kids and my husband and I. Sometimes my kids bring their friends here. It's nice because we don't have to deal with crazy religious relatives. We never say grace.....that's for damned sure. Although sometimes my husband says........

"Through the lips and over the tongue
Look out stomach cause here it comes!"

That's as close to grace as it gets in our household.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-11-2016, 01:21 PM
This will be the first Thanksgiving in many years that I won't be cooking. But on Friday my son and his girlfriend are coming over for a pretty traditional feast of turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pie, green beans, baked macaroni and cheese, cranberry sauce, dinner rolls.

I won't have to cook again for days. Tongue For that I am thankful.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-11-2016, 02:02 PM
(18-11-2016 01:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  This will be the first Thanksgiving in many years that I won't be cooking. But on Friday my son and his girlfriend are coming over for a pretty traditional feast of turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pie, green beans, baked macaroni and cheese, cranberry sauce, dinner rolls.

I won't have to cook again for days. Tongue For that I am thankful.

My younger brother's favorite part of Thanksgiving was always leftover turkey -- being able to eat cold turkey sandwiches for the next week or two was heaven for him. So for all those years when we were having the big family get-together at my parents' house, he would buy his own turkey and cook it at home, just for the leftovers.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
18-11-2016, 09:20 PM
Every year my crazy bestie goes to Plymouth to protest with the natives. For the rest of us, meh. We only do two "holidays" around here. Yule, which is just an excuse to get together and drink; and Meatfest, ditto.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post