That Damn Bigfoot Thing

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
04-12-2014, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2014 11:55 AM by Full Circle.)
RE: That Damn Bigfoot Thing
(04-12-2014 10:56 AM)Free Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 10:45 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Um, no. That is not even remotely what I or anyone else has said. What is your reason for misrepresenting me and others?

A lack of conclusive evidence does not grant license to freewheel speculation purely by dint of its being unfalsifiable. That's a laughably poor methodology.

Even so-called "expert" eyewitness observation is worthless absent external corroboration. Since you love forcing terrible legal analogies, you should know that individual testimony without that corroboration is in fact recognised in court and even has its own name - hearsay.

If something is unknown the only intellectually honest conclusion is to say just that: it is unknown.

Okay, so in regards to those unidentified species of fish, should we look at them and say which one of the following:

1. They cannot identify them as being a fish of any kind?

2. They identified them as being an unknown species of fish?

Considering we have maybe 2 or 3 expert witnesses who are highly experienced with marine life, what is the most correct option above, 1 or 2?

Drinking Beverage

But Free, let's look at this objectively Rolleyes

1. We know fish exist
2. We know of species that closely resemble these new, observed species
3. We have clear, unambiguous footage = proof
4. We can go back and find them again at will

Vs Aliens in UFO

1. We don't know alien life exists, much less one that travels in UFOs
2. No alien species have ever been found
3. No clear, unambiguous proof
4. Can't go back to O'Hare C17 and locate at will

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
04-12-2014, 11:12 AM
(04-12-2014 11:08 AM)Free Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 11:03 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Ah! But "unknown" and "unknown fish" are very different matters. The latter necessarily implies a much greater degree of knowledge than the former. Any scientific description worth its salt would never conflate the two.

Okay, one step further, and please bear with me here. Just one question:

Did they see a fish or not?

No, they saw aliens from Europa who are building a civilization at the bottom of the ocean. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-12-2014, 11:12 AM
(04-12-2014 11:09 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 10:56 AM)Free Wrote:  Okay, so in regards to those unidentified species of fish, should we look at them and say which one of the following:

1. They cannot identify them as being a fish of any kind?

2. They identified them as being an unknown species of fish?

Considering we have maybe 2 or 3 expert witnesses who are highly experienced with marine life, what is the most correct option above, 1 or 2?

Drinking Beverage

But Free, let's look this objectively Rolleyes

1. We know fish exist

Vs Aliens in UFO

Hey, all I'm looking for is an answer to a very simple question.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
04-12-2014, 11:15 AM
(04-12-2014 11:12 AM)Free Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 11:09 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  But Free, let's look this objectively Rolleyes

1. We know fish exist

Vs Aliens in UFO

Hey, all I'm looking for is an answer to a very simple question.

I'll take the bait, yes.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
04-12-2014, 11:17 AM
(04-12-2014 11:15 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 11:12 AM)Free Wrote:  Hey, all I'm looking for is an answer to a very simple question.

I'll take the bait, yes.

That's all I ask. 2 or 3 people highly experienced with aquatic life seen a fish they could not identify.

*Shrug* Seems quite reasonable to me!

Wink

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
04-12-2014, 11:20 AM
(04-12-2014 11:17 AM)Free Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 11:15 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I'll take the bait, yes.

That's all I ask. 2 or 3 people highly experienced with aquatic life seen a fish they could not identify.

Wink

That's not what I said. I agreed they saw a fish. That it hasn't been IDd to species level is a FAR CRY from claiming it was an alien life form from another world!

Ay caramba.

04-12-2014, 11:21 AM
(04-12-2014 11:08 AM)Free Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 11:03 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Ah! But "unknown" and "unknown fish" are very different matters. The latter necessarily implies a much greater degree of knowledge than the former. Any scientific description worth its salt would never conflate the two.

Okay, one step further, and please bear with me here. Just one question:

I really must insist you not conflate different scenarios. I have a feeling I know exactly where you're going with this, and it simply does not follow.

With respect to the link you posted, yes. They saw fish among other things - jellies and crustaceans and so forth.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
04-12-2014, 11:22 AM
(04-12-2014 11:20 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 11:17 AM)Free Wrote:  That's all I ask. 2 or 3 people highly experienced with aquatic life seen a fish they could not identify.

Wink

That's not what I said. I agreed they saw a fish. That it hasn't been IDd to species level is a FAR CRY from claiming it was an alien life form from another world!

Ay caramba.

Hey, who said anything about aliens?

I'm talking about fish here.

Big Grin

04-12-2014, 11:23 AM
(04-12-2014 11:21 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 11:08 AM)Free Wrote:  Okay, one step further, and please bear with me here. Just one question:

I really must insist you not conflate different scenarios. I have a feeling I know exactly where you're going with this, and it simply does not follow.

With respect to the link you posted, yes. They saw fish among other things - jellies and crustaceans and so forth.

You are a smart man, cjlr!

Yes

04-12-2014, 11:25 AM
(04-12-2014 11:22 AM)Free Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 11:20 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  That's not what I said. I agreed they saw a fish. That it hasn't been IDd to species level is a FAR CRY from claiming it was an alien life form from another world!

Ay caramba.

Hey, who said anything about aliens?

I'm talking about fish here.

Big Grin

Of course you are. Unsure

Like cjlr said, you are conflating two very different things.