That Damn Negative Mass Thing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2014, 12:11 PM
RE: That Damn Negative Mass Thing
(10-12-2014 12:07 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Logic - particularly naive logic - is irrelevant. Modern physics makes "intuitive" logic its bitch.

Equations admit of all sorts of nonphysical solutions - that's not at all unusual.

Well it certainly boggles the mind. To envision something such as negative mass conjures up a scene were we place it on a weight scale and find the scale going backwards ie; negative weight.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2014, 12:15 PM
(10-12-2014 12:11 PM)Free Wrote:  
(10-12-2014 12:07 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Logic - particularly naive logic - is irrelevant. Modern physics makes "intuitive" logic its bitch.

Equations admit of all sorts of nonphysical solutions - that's not at all unusual.

Well it certainly boggles the mind. To envision something such as negative mass conjures up a scene were we place it on a weight scale and find the scale going backwards ie; negative weight.

Yes, but is that any more counterintuitive than the precepts of quantum mechanics or relativity?

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
10-12-2014, 12:23 PM
(10-12-2014 12:15 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(10-12-2014 12:11 PM)Free Wrote:  Well it certainly boggles the mind. To envision something such as negative mass conjures up a scene were we place it on a weight scale and find the scale going backwards ie; negative weight.

Yes, but is that any more counterintuitive than the precepts of quantum mechanics or relativity?

No, it's just odd. I can understand a complete void, but this is something that absolutely defies the definition of existence as we have come to accept it.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
10-12-2014, 12:56 PM
(09-12-2014 08:11 PM)Free Wrote:  The math seems to suggest it can exist.
---

Yes, yes it can exist.

The question now becomes: does it make my ass look big? Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-12-2014, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 01:08 PM by Free.)
(10-12-2014 12:56 PM)kim Wrote:  
(09-12-2014 08:11 PM)Free Wrote:  The math seems to suggest it can exist.
---

Yes, yes it can exist.

The question now becomes: does it make my ass look big? Drinking Beverage

I don't think so. You would have Negative Ass.

Tongue

10-12-2014, 03:32 PM
(10-12-2014 07:15 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  It had better be possible, otherwise no warp drive and we're stuck in this solar system until it evaporates.

Would you be referring to this?

Alcubierre Drive.

Thoughts anyone?

[+] 2 users Like Free's post
10-12-2014, 04:05 PM
My ass has a black hole, but it doesn't suck. It does explain the crack, though.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
11-12-2014, 08:18 AM
It could be interesting but may just be another mathematical artifact of various physical models. Something that could exist in theory but doesn't in practice.

Intuition is based largely on our experiences with the everyday mesoscopic world and works well enough there, though not flawlessly. If you change the conditions very much that intuition will lead you horribly wrong. Walking through a crowd you most likely don't worry about the gravitational attraction of the other people but change the scale so you're the size of planets and suddenly you're fretting over the gravity and ignoring the electromagnetic interactions. When you go out for a day at the lake you're most likely more concerned with buoyancy than surface tension or Brownian motion yet we've seen examples of creatures that do exactly the opposite.
[Image: Water_strider_in_a_pond.jpg]
This is what breaks peoples' heads with quantum mechanics and a whole lot of other physics. It's outside our everyday frame of reference so our intuition insists that it must be wrong.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
11-12-2014, 08:24 AM
I also thought going to Mass was a pretty negative thing.

(I didn't mind so much when the music was good, but holy shit, the preaching was fucking awful).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Simply an artifact of the model, nothing more.
[+] 1 user Likes Machias's post