That Damn UFO Thing

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
25-11-2014, 06:34 PM
RE: That Damn UFO Thing
How respectfully do you take physiological studies of people in these stages and people who proclaim elements of UFO sightings abductions.

There is a lot of interesting info on how strong persuasion and manipulation can come out when it comes to people believing stories they have fuzzy memories about. The impact of social and cultural influence to what type of aliens the aliens they report seeing is an interesting case. Generally in the times of Grays or times of Green aliens being popular in media, people reported seeing those respective aliens when abducted. I guess if desired, people could interpret that many ways.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like ClydeLee's post
26-11-2014, 05:40 AM
Yo that shit is BALLIN!

Could use an event like that to spruce up my Friday evenings. First thought that would cross my mind would be "I wonder if that craft has a kicking cocktail lounge."

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
26-11-2014, 06:16 AM
Two or three weeks ago I saw a UFO. Looking to the north in the evening, I saw a bright light moving slowly across the sky just below the tops of the nearer trees. I thought it an odd flight path as it was going east to west. (Logan Airport, Hanscom Field, and Minuteman Airfield are all east of me.)

Then it jinked and swerved as no fixed-wing aircraft could do, so I figured 'helicopter'. But there was no sound, while it appeared close enough to have heard it were it a helicopter, and it did not have legitimate aviation navigation lights, just bright white steady light.

I watched it move and manoeuver oddly, then it started on a smooth curved path fling very fast from the north to just west of me, curving south then east. It flew directly over my property and I finally identified it as a UAV - a drone.

Had it not flown over, I would not have known what it was. Many odd things have prosaic explanations.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
26-11-2014, 07:51 AM
(26-11-2014 06:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  Two or three weeks ago I saw a UFO. Looking to the north in the evening, I saw a bright light moving slowly across the sky just below the tops of the nearer trees. I thought it an odd flight path as it was going east to west. (Logan Airport, Hanscom Field, and Minuteman Airfield are all east of me.)

Then it jinked and swerved as no fixed-wing aircraft could do, so I figured 'helicopter'. But there was no sound, while it appeared close enough to have heard it were it a helicopter, and it did not have legitimate aviation navigation lights, just bright white steady light.

I watched it move and manoeuver oddly, then it started on a smooth curved path fling very fast from the north to just west of me, curving south then east. It flew directly over my property and I finally identified it as a UAV - a drone.

Had it not flown over, I would not have known what it was. Many odd things have prosaic explanations.

You had to know you were under surveillance and all your movements being watched and recorded right? No surprise there.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-11-2014, 09:32 AM
(25-11-2014 06:34 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  How respectfully do you take physiological studies of people in these stages and people who proclaim elements of UFO sightings abductions.

There is a lot of interesting info on how strong persuasion and manipulation can come out when it comes to people believing stories they have fuzzy memories about. The impact of social and cultural influence to what type of aliens the aliens they report seeing is an interesting case. Generally in the times of Grays or times of Green aliens being popular in media, people reported seeing those respective aliens when abducted. I guess if desired, people could interpret that many ways.

I actually respect those studies tremendously and some of which I have viewed do indeed indicate a lack of truthfulness on the part of the purported abductee.

Most that I investigate fall in the category of "I just don't know," and perhaps 1 in 30 I consider possible. There is no category for "Absolutely certain."

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
26-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Deleted
26-11-2014, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2014 01:07 PM by Free.)
(26-11-2014 06:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  Two or three weeks ago I saw a UFO. Looking to the north in the evening, I saw a bright light moving slowly across the sky just below the tops of the nearer trees. I thought it an odd flight path as it was going east to west. (Logan Airport, Hanscom Field, and Minuteman Airfield are all east of me.)

I don't know why I keep seeing these things.

In 1989, again in May, my girlfriend and I were driving down a dirt road around 10 PM. The sun had just set, and it was dusk. I seen something on the ground some 300 yards away in a farmer's field. Flashing lights, saucer shaped, et al. I so desperately wanted to get close to it but my gf was freaking out so bad that she forced me to leave. I tried to leave slowly so I could keep an eye on it, but she was so scared and was screaming at me that I simply had to step on the gas.

You just don't mess with a scared girl, EVER.

Undecided

In Oct 2013, we had a few friends over at our place sitting around the fire pit in the back yard. My son and I were facing west when we see a very bright object hovering in the sky. It suddenly shot straight up and made a loud sonic boom that startled everybody. My son looked at me with wide eyes and I put my finger to my lips to indicate, "Don't say anything." My wife and daughter are so terrified of these things that I didn't want them to know what we had witnessed.

In fact my wife often teases me about my preoccupation with these things. She says humorous things such as, "I saw a bright light in the sky today! (5 second pause). I'm so glad the sun decided to come out!"

Undecided

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
26-11-2014, 01:45 PM
(26-11-2014 01:01 PM)Free Wrote:  In fact my wife often teases me about my preoccupation with these things. She says humorous things such as, "I saw a bright light in the sky today! (5 second pause). I'm so glad the sun decided to come out!"

My mum says similar things to me on the phone when I am living in Scotland.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
26-11-2014, 02:47 PM
The thing about the hundreds of thousands of reports, videos, and pictures regarding extraterrestrial life is ... all it would take is just for 1 of those reports, videos, or pictures to be a true representation of extraterrestrial life to verify it as fact.

Just 1 in hundreds of thousands.

What are the odds that at least 1 is a true representation?

I think ... damn good.

26-11-2014, 02:50 PM
(26-11-2014 02:47 PM)Free Wrote:  The thing about the hundreds of thousands of reports, videos, and pictures regarding extraterrestrial life is ... all it would take is just for 1 of those reports, videos, or pictures to be a true representation of extraterrestrial life to verify it as fact.

Just 1 in hundreds of thousands.

What are the odds that at least 1 is a true representation?

I think ... damn good.

How many bigfoot sightings are there?

How many ghost sightings are there? How many angels?

And more to the point, if there are so damn many of them, why are none of them worth a damn?

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post