That Damn UFO Thing

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
26-11-2014, 09:53 PM
RE: That Damn UFO Thing
(26-11-2014 09:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-11-2014 09:44 PM)Free Wrote:  I find the following report to be very very credible:

Chicago O'Hare Airport UFO 2006

And I find it unconvincing. Show me evidence. Radar from the tower? Photograph?

The evidence is the 12 witnesses, and the fact that that they seen a UFO is evidenced on the tapes:

"The FAA then ordered an internal review of air-traffic communications tapes to comply with the Tribune FOIA request which subsequently uncovered a call by the United supervisor to an FAA manager in the airport tower concerning the UFO sighting."

When we have multiple witnesses, and the tapes as physical evidence, it is a very compelling case. This event was broadcast all over almost every American news channel in prime-time.

But you need a little green man, don't you? Tongue

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2014, 09:56 PM
(26-11-2014 09:53 PM)Free Wrote:  
(26-11-2014 09:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  And I find it unconvincing. Show me evidence. Radar from the tower? Photograph?

The evidence is the 12 witnesses, and the fact that that they seen a UFO is evidenced on the tapes:

"The FAA then ordered an internal review of air-traffic communications tapes to comply with the Tribune FOIA request which subsequently uncovered a call by the United supervisor to an FAA manager in the airport tower concerning the UFO sighting."

When we have multiple witnesses, and the tapes as physical evidence, it is a very compelling case. This event was broadcast all over almost every American news channel in prime-time.

On a dissecting table Drinking Beverage

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
26-11-2014, 10:00 PM
(26-11-2014 09:56 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(26-11-2014 09:53 PM)Free Wrote:  The evidence is the 12 witnesses, and the fact that that they seen a UFO is evidenced on the tapes:

On a dissecting table Drinking Beverage

Absolutely.

I don't need that much evidence to formulate a reasonable opinion accentuating the probable.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
26-11-2014, 10:06 PM
(26-11-2014 09:53 PM)Free Wrote:  
(26-11-2014 09:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  And I find it unconvincing. Show me evidence. Radar from the tower? Photograph?

Eyewitness testimony is shown to be unreliable.

The tapes are most definitely not physical evidence that the UFO was even a vehicle, let alone a piloted one. They are evidence only of a conversation.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-11-2014, 10:37 PM
(26-11-2014 10:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-11-2014 09:53 PM)Free Wrote:  The evidence is the 12 witnesses, and the fact that that they seen a UFO is evidenced on the tapes:

Eyewitness testimony is shown to be unreliable.

A singular eyewitness, perhaps. But 2? 3? 4? How many would it take to convict a criminal in a court of law if 4 witnesses all described the criminal in the act of being a criminal? What if you had 6?

O'hare had 12.

Quote:The tapes are most definitely not physical evidence that the UFO was even a vehicle, let alone a piloted one. They are evidence only of a conversation.

The eyewitnesses all claim it was vehicle. Almost identical descriptions from different vantage points. The tapes merely prove the event actually happened.

This report hits a 7 out of 10 on my credibility scale.

26-11-2014, 10:45 PM
(26-11-2014 10:37 PM)Free Wrote:  The eyewitnesses all claim it was vehicle. Almost identical descriptions from different vantage points. The tapes merely prove the event actually happened.

This report hits a 7 out of 10 on my credibility scale.

The tape is not evidence of anything other than people talking about something they think happened - it is not evidence of an event actually occurring.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-11-2014, 02:49 AM
(24-11-2014 07:17 PM)Free Wrote:  It was mid to late May, 1973, and I was but a kid living in a very small village on a small island in Atlantic Canada. We had one television channel, CBC, and my uncle, brother and I were watching a hockey game on TV, since it was the NHL playoffs.

The 1st period of the game had just ended, and the TV suddenly went all "snowy." I was sitting beside a window, and I noticed that the ground outside seemed to be glowing an orange color. Then, I looked up ...

"Holy shit!" I said, and that was the 1st time I had ever used a swear word in front of my uncle. My uncle and brother both ran over to the window and looked up. I was so excited I ran outside, and there it was, big as hell.

This thing was at least 100 feet in diameter and was about 50 - 70 feet above the house, and also covered part of the neighbors' house. Being directly underneath it, I could see an outer metallic ring, while the inner part resembled something like liquid fire.

It made no sound. It just hung there for what seemed like about 30 seconds before it slowly started to float up the road. My uncle and brother were scared shitless and kept telling me to get back into the house, but I was so fascinated by this thing that I couldn't take my eyes off of it.

As it floated up the road, I could see that it had the common disc shape/flying saucer design often reported in the UFO community. Then, as it crossed the street at the end of our road (T intersection), it shot straight up so fast it blew a hole in the scattered clouds. Literally, it went from earth to orbit in about 1 second.

When it had disappeared, I noticed that the neighbors had also come outside to see it. In all, there were 6 of us who witnessed this thing.

Before that, I had never even heard the term "UFO" or "flying saucer." That kind of thing simply did not exist in the world I lived in, in a back water town that still had some homes with outhouses.

What was it? Did mankind have anything back in 1973 that could do what that thing did?

I cannot say for sure, but based upon what we know about our technology back in 1973 I would have to say that I am leaning towards that thing being extraterrestrial in nature.

And I have seen many more since. In fact, I see them frequently and I don't know why. Some close up, others at a distance. Some could be earthly, but a few ... well ... no god damn way.

Strange, but true.

Consider
I grew up on an island in Atlantic Canada as well. A lot of mushrooms around. Apparently flashbacks are common if a person eats to many but I've never experienced one nor have I witnessed anyone have one (as far as I can remember). Some good shit though. I know a guy who claims he was being chased by a giant pinball. Pfft. All I seen was tracers but looking at my hand through a glass table was pretty trippy. And the thoughts! Deep or stupid? Who knows? Anyway there was this one time that I did a real awesome job of keeping a soccer ball in the air and I suck at soccer. I don't know if there was an actual ball.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
27-11-2014, 08:43 AM
(26-11-2014 09:26 PM)Free Wrote:  Just because "many UFOs turn out not to be vehicles at all" does not in any way eliminate that ALL UFOs turn out not to be vehicles. If many UFOs turn out not to be vehicles, then they have of course been eliminated as requiring a pilot.

A few things come immediately to mind....

First, an argument that nobody can prove that they aren't vehicles fails right up there with not being able to prove that god didn't do it. It places the conclusion squarely before the premises. "What else can they be?" Well, I don't know and neither does anybody else no matter how convinced they are that they do.

Second, there is no argument that many people have seen unidentified things and have speculated on what they could have been. Speculations may help identify areas of potential investigation but they aren't proof or evidence.

Third, we don't understand everything about the atmosphere and are still investigating things like ball lightning, red sprites, blue jets, earthquake lights, and other sightings. Some are better understood than others and we don't know what other surprises may be found so jumping to "must be a vehicle" seems, at best, premature.

Fourth, leaping to an alien pilot doesn't seem any more likely than other wild guesses. Claiming that they must be a pilot from the future in a time ship seems hardly more disprovable than the claim that it must be a pilot from another world. Maybe they are how the angels appear to us as they travel from earth back to heaven....

Last, in every case so far where we have been able to determine what was seen the cause has been a natural phenomenon or a man-made object. We still have many unexplained cases (which is not surprising given the inability to reproduce them or study then with appropriate instruments) but that just means we have many unexplained cases. We do not have evidence supporting alien spacecraft.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
27-11-2014, 08:46 AM
(27-11-2014 02:49 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 07:17 PM)Free Wrote:  It was mid to late May, 1973, and I was but a kid living in a very small village on a small island in Atlantic Canada. We had one television channel, CBC, and my uncle, brother and I were watching a hockey game on TV, since it was the NHL playoffs.

The 1st period of the game had just ended, and the TV suddenly went all "snowy." I was sitting beside a window, and I noticed that the ground outside seemed to be glowing an orange color. Then, I looked up ...

"Holy shit!" I said, and that was the 1st time I had ever used a swear word in front of my uncle. My uncle and brother both ran over to the window and looked up. I was so excited I ran outside, and there it was, big as hell.

This thing was at least 100 feet in diameter and was about 50 - 70 feet above the house, and also covered part of the neighbors' house. Being directly underneath it, I could see an outer metallic ring, while the inner part resembled something like liquid fire.

It made no sound. It just hung there for what seemed like about 30 seconds before it slowly started to float up the road. My uncle and brother were scared shitless and kept telling me to get back into the house, but I was so fascinated by this thing that I couldn't take my eyes off of it.

As it floated up the road, I could see that it had the common disc shape/flying saucer design often reported in the UFO community. Then, as it crossed the street at the end of our road (T intersection), it shot straight up so fast it blew a hole in the scattered clouds. Literally, it went from earth to orbit in about 1 second.

When it had disappeared, I noticed that the neighbors had also come outside to see it. In all, there were 6 of us who witnessed this thing.

Before that, I had never even heard the term "UFO" or "flying saucer." That kind of thing simply did not exist in the world I lived in, in a back water town that still had some homes with outhouses.

What was it? Did mankind have anything back in 1973 that could do what that thing did?

I cannot say for sure, but based upon what we know about our technology back in 1973 I would have to say that I am leaning towards that thing being extraterrestrial in nature.

And I have seen many more since. In fact, I see them frequently and I don't know why. Some close up, others at a distance. Some could be earthly, but a few ... well ... no god damn way.

Strange, but true.

Consider
I grew up on an island in Atlantic Canada as well. A lot of mushrooms around. Apparently flashbacks are common if a person eats to many but I've never experienced one nor have I witnessed anyone have one (as far as I can remember). Some good shit though. I know a guy who claims he was being chased by a giant pinball. Pfft. All I seen was tracers but looking at my hand through a glass table was pretty trippy. And the thoughts! Deep or stupid? Who knows? Anyway there was this one time that I did a real awesome job of keeping a soccer ball in the air and I suck at soccer. I don't know if there was an actual ball.

lol

Yeah, P.E.I.

I am originally from "The Crick."

Big Grin

27-11-2014, 08:53 AM
I know what happened...

Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce