That Darn God - 7 Shot Dead at Sikh Temple

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2012, 04:53 AM
That Darn God - 7 Shot Dead at Sikh Temple
When the gunfire finally ended in a shootout between a gunman and police outside the temple in suburban Milwaukee, seven people lay dead, including the suspect, and three others were critically wounded.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...5-15-14-22

"When asked if this was an act of domestic terrorism, FBI spokesman Maurice T. Schmedlap answered "Oh, no, this is just God's plan unfolding before our eyes in all it's mysterious goodness. I've been praying to God for a chance to be more visible and maybe get a promotion, and I believe this shooting is God's answer, giving me an opportunity to be visible to the national media. Praise God!""
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
06-08-2012, 05:22 AM
RE: That Darn God - 7 Shot Dead at Sikh Temple
I read about this but the FBI spokesman part... I can't seem to find that. Any sources for it Jeff? Smile Thanks

The fish who keeps on swimming is the first to chill upstream.
06-08-2012, 05:31 AM
Jeff, please stop it.

People died.

You have been reiterating for some time now your opinion that God is responsible for everything bad that happens. It's a fine message but please, I'm begging you, please stop using mass murder as the fuel for your punchline. I don't know if anyone else here agrees. Maybe I'm in the minority. But I find it really perverse. I'm not at all saying you don't have the right to promote the idea that if someone believes in God's plan that they have to attribute all acts of violence to it as well. I'm not. I'm just asking if you could please let these people retain their dignity.

So that's it. That's my plea. I won't belabour the point. I'm just asking politely.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 3 users Like Ghost's post
06-08-2012, 06:03 AM
(06-08-2012 05:31 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Jeff, please stop it.

People died.

You have been reiterating for some time now your opinion that God is responsible for everything bad that happens. It's a fine message but please, I'm begging you, please stop using mass murder as the fuel for your punchline. I don't know if anyone else here agrees. Maybe I'm in the minority. But I find it really perverse. I'm not at all saying you don't have the right to promote the idea that if someone believes in God's plan that they have to attribute all acts of violence to it as well. I'm not. I'm just asking if you could please let these people retain their dignity.

So that's it. That's my plea. I won't belabour the point. I'm just asking politely.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

I half agree with you, Matt. Using this here, preaching to the choir, is unseemly.

However, I find religion so toxic that this same post directed to a theist audience seems justifiable.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-08-2012, 06:17 AM
I'm with Ghost on this.
06-08-2012, 08:00 AM
On a more general and less, "Ha Ha! In Yo' Face!" note...

I find it rather interesting how when an incident such as this happens in a secular environment, say, in a movie theater in Colorado, the Christians come out loudly proclaiming that it's the result of God's judgment, or the teaching of Evolution, or punishment for denying God...

but when it happens in a religious environment such as a church of a different faith you don't hear them blaming the victims because of their lack of faith and belief in the "True God" of the Christians.

Wonder why that is?

My guess would be because in that context such calls for repentance and "getting back to God" would be near enough to the legal definition of 'hate speech' that these Christians who are so vocal about the secular incidents would likely lose the inevitable cases brought against them for defamation and hate in the US Courts.
06-08-2012, 08:04 AM
(06-08-2012 08:00 AM)ibanezerscrooge Wrote:  On a more general and less, "Ha Ha! In Yo' Face!" note...

I find it rather interesting how when an incident such as this happens in a secular environment, say, in a movie theater in Colorado, the Christians come out loudly proclaiming that it's the result of God's judgment, or the teaching of Evolution, or punishment for denying God...
"The Christians"? I beg to differ. I think you're talking about the members of the Westboro Baptist Church.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
06-08-2012, 08:14 AM
(06-08-2012 08:04 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(06-08-2012 08:00 AM)ibanezerscrooge Wrote:  On a more general and less, "Ha Ha! In Yo' Face!" note...

"The Christians"? I beg to differ. I think you're talking about the members of the Westboro Baptist Church.

No, I'm talking about the pinnacles of the Christian Faith PR machine like Rick Warren and Pat Robertson and (in previous decades) Jerry Falwell and the like. WBC is considered fringe even by the polished fundamentalist faces we normally see in the news and on TV when things like this occur. They were out in force after Colorado (relatively speaking, I mean there were lots of tweets and facebook posts and news programs about it immediately following the incident). Haven't seen it... so far... with this incident. But, I guess it's still early.
06-08-2012, 09:11 AM
I heard about this shooting. Very sad - Sikhs are wonderful people... they are generally very accepting and non-judgemental. Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
06-08-2012, 09:13 AM
(06-08-2012 05:22 AM)Snuff Wrote:  I read about this but the FBI spokesman part... I can't seem to find that. Any sources for it Jeff? Smile Thanks

The FBI spokesman quote was my own parody, sorry, I should have made that clear