That Darn God - 7 Shot Dead at Sikh Temple

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2012, 06:32 PM
RE: That Darn God - 7 Shot Dead at Sikh Temple
(06-08-2012 02:06 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(06-08-2012 10:17 AM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  I guess I don't see the point in making a parody of something that wasn't said.

I guess you've never seen Mad magazine or Saturday Night Live?

Yes I have. And they exaggerate or over-dramatize what has been said or done. And they never do it immediately about a tragedy, least not to my knowledge. And even if they did, I still don't see the point of trying to parody something that wasn't said.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2012, 08:29 PM
(06-08-2012 06:32 PM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  I still don't see the point of trying to parody something that wasn't said.

The point is to shame believers for their beliefs.
07-08-2012, 07:02 AM
(06-08-2012 08:29 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(06-08-2012 06:32 PM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  I still don't see the point of trying to parody something that wasn't said.

The point is to shame believers for their beliefs.

So... we make up things they didn't say and then make fun of them for it?

No doubt some people do think that way about those that die without their specific religion, but considering how much less you see it in the media, it's safe to say that train of thought is dwindling.

You are always going to have your radicals, your extremeists. But most everyone will think they are an asshole anyways. If you want to target specific individuals, then go for it, but I'm not a huge fan of broadstroke bashing. It just becomes unnecessary, textbook typecasting.

We all, despite our best efforts, have a dead horse we like to beat. So do what you will.

[+] 1 user Likes AmishLatinJew's post
07-08-2012, 08:52 AM
(07-08-2012 07:02 AM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  So... we make up things they didn't say and then make fun of them for it?

Your hangup is the Maurice T. Schmedlap quote. There's nothing in that that believers don't say on a regular basis. I connect the dots to point out the absurdity of that. Every time something horrible happens, the implication is "Thank God!"

(07-08-2012 07:02 AM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  We all, despite our best efforts, have a dead horse we like to beat. So do what you will.

Thanks but I don't need your permission.
07-08-2012, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 12:51 PM by AmishLatinJew.)
(07-08-2012 08:52 AM)Jeff Wrote:  Your hangup is the Maurice T. Schmedlap quote. There's nothing in that that believers don't say on a regular basis. I connect the dots to point out the absurdity of that. Every time something horrible happens, the implication is "Thank God!"

Thanks but I don't need your permission.

You're still trying to classify all believers as the same. Most of them will thank their deity for good news, events, etc. but not very many say when someone dies due to a tragedy, they died because they were not of their deity. The quote you give is fine as long as it is pointed at the absurd individuals that say such things. But such a small population of believers will blame the victims' deaths on the victims' faiths.

Point is, if you say "believers think such and such..." you categorize anyone that claims to believe. And as stated above, so few believe those that die and are not of their faith, deserved it because of that fact.

Just trying to put some awareness out there buddy.

And as far as the permission, I think you are taking things a bit too personally. My statement of "do as you will" was not an allowance or permissive towards you. I thought it was quite clear that I acknowledged everyone has their kick, their soap box topic, their... dead horse. And I acknowledged your right and will to do so. Sorry if that was not clear enough.

But since you mention it, i will add one more thing: Why else would we all be members of any forum if not to inform, question, collaborate, admonish, rebuke, provoke, support, persuade, and interact with each other. If you were simply looking for an unresponsive or blindly supportive audience, I suggest starting up a blog or youtube channel and disable comments. Or better yet, start a church. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes AmishLatinJew's post
07-08-2012, 01:54 PM
(07-08-2012 12:34 PM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  You're still trying to classify all believers as the same.

No that's not my position

(07-08-2012 12:34 PM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  Most of them will thank their deity for good news, events, etc. but not very many say when someone dies due to a tragedy, they died because they were not of their deity.

I don't know where I've given you the idea that my issue is with which deity anyone follows. My issue is that believers thank god for good things, but don't thank god for bad things such as shootings. But in fact, their belief system is such that they SHOULD be thanking god for the bad things as well, since god is good, and everything happens per god's plan. Of course they don't express this notion, thanking god for a shooting, because it would expose their horrible and perverse belief system. So I point it out for them because I want them to wake up.

(07-08-2012 12:34 PM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  The quote you give is fine as long as it is pointed at the absurd individuals that say such things.

The quote that I created (from FBI guy Schmedlap) is to parody the discussion happening about this case, on whether it is a case of domestic terrorism, or instead is a hate crime. Not that it matters, since the people are dead either way. But a real believer, were they to connect all the dots of their espoused belief, would say that it's not terrorism or a hate crime, it's just part of God's plan. Thank God!

(07-08-2012 12:34 PM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  And as far as the permission, I think you are taking things a bit too personally. My statement of "do as you will" was not an allowance or permissive towards you. I thought it was quite clear that I acknowledged everyone has their kick, their soap box topic, their... dead horse. And I acknowledged your right and will to do so.

It was calling the issue a "dead horse" when you still haven't grasped the real issue that I found irritating. And being vigilant to point out that your permission's not needed is just keeping the spirit of Hitchens alive. Admittedly, I'm touchy about it.

(07-08-2012 12:34 PM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  If you were simply looking for an unresponsive or blindly supportive audience, I suggest starting up a blog or youtube channel and disable comments. Or better yet, start a church. Smile

If I had complained that you were being unresponsive or unsupportive you might have a point, but I didn't do that.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
07-08-2012, 02:33 PM
(07-08-2012 01:54 PM)Jeff Wrote:  No that's not my position

I don't know where I've given you the idea that my issue is with which deity anyone follows. My issue is that believers thank god for good things, but don't thank god for bad things such as shootings. But in fact, their belief system is such that they SHOULD be thanking god for the bad things as well, since god is good, and everything happens per god's plan. Of course they don't express this notion, thanking god for a shooting, because it would expose their horrible and perverse belief system. So I point it out for them because I want them to wake up.

The quote that I created (from FBI guy Schmedlap) is to parody the discussion happening about this case, on whether it is a case of domestic terrorism, or instead is a hate crime. Not that it matters, since the people are dead either way. But a real believer, were they to connect all the dots of their espoused belief, would say that it's not terrorism or a hate crime, it's just part of God's plan. Thank God!

It was calling the issue a "dead horse" when you still haven't grasped the real issue that I found irritating. And being vigilant to point out that your permission's not needed is just keeping the spirit of Hitchens alive. Admittedly, I'm touchy about it.

If I had complained that you were being unresponsive or unsupportive you might have a point, but I didn't do that.

Well, if you say thats not your position then fine. Yet everytime you mention believers it seems to be a lump statement. But that could just be me getting picky.

I can see your train of thought on those that believe should be thankful for everything. And I can even see the tactic in showing them to be thankful for all acts of both good and evil, but to the average Christian, it would sound crazy. Maybe it would work, and maybe it's worked for you in the past. Hence why I say "do as you will." And I never said that you had an issue with which deity they follow. I was merely mentioning the few that belive for example a Sikh was killed because he did not believe in God, if he did, he would have lived.

A true believer, and a true truth seeker (tounge twister anyone) are not the same. A believer stoops to a level where much of the normal thinking is not needed because they believe. A true seeker of truth, as I like to think most atheists are, would find those flaws in logic and reach a new conclusion. Telling a person 2 + 2 = 4 when they have been taught that 2 is the highest number is a nigh impossible task.

You'll have to forgive the dead horse comment. I use terms that sound very applicable to me but might not sound that way to others. They tend to come off harsh and callous no matter the intent. Soap box topic was nicer. We all have those. Dead horse was not meant to offend, but to highlight that you're (forgive the expression) preaching to the choir. That is all.

And while you didn't claim that i was unresponsive or unsupportive, from all the posts on this particular thread and you're responses to them, it would seem you don't like anyone contradicting or disagreeing with you. Hence the idea of creating a commentless youtube or starting a church, it was meant in jest.

I think it's safe to say that it is easy to misinterpret plain text with no voice or emotion behind it and we have a clear case of that today. To an extent, it has muddled our conversation.

07-08-2012, 05:09 PM

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
07-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Hey Jeff how's it going man....

Just wanted to say I can relate to your.. "bitterness" towards religion. I mean heck I wish that if I could go back in time and if Jesus was a real person.. I'd be one of the guards to scourage his ass!! AND.. be the one to drive that spear into his side...

I get yer point from the OP..

It's a fucked up world.. sick of the uglyness .. we need some black hole to drift into our solar system.. let's just get it over with already.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
07-08-2012, 06:05 PM
(07-08-2012 05:51 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Hey Jeff how's it going man....

Just wanted to say I can relate to your.. "bitterness" towards religion. I mean heck I wish that if I could go back in time and if Jesus was a real person.. I'd be one of the guards to scourage his ass!! AND.. be the one to drive that spear into his side...

I get yer point from the OP..

It's a fucked up world.. sick of the uglyness .. we need some black hole to drift into our solar system.. let's just get it over with already.

Thanks Drew. I think my bitterness is really towards believers. LOL on the black hole, but things aren't that bad.