That awkward moment when...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Wink That awkward moment when...
Last night I had my very first awkward moment as an atheist! Hooray for rites of passage, LOL.

So I've got this friend, see, and I hardly ever have a chance to talk with him & his wife. We became friends through their son who I'd befriended several years ago before he died. I'm more friends with him than with her, and occasionally he & I have a brief chat on the phone, mostly just cursory stuff. Last night they took me out to dinner, and it was nice to actually see them again and have more than a 3-minute conversation. When I first met them I was a Christian, and we've never been able to sit down long enough to discuss how I've changed over the years.

After our meal arrived, I remembered that they would want to pray before we eat, so I resolved that I would just be polite and hold hands and have my own private reflection while they prayed. Well, Blake had no voice since he was getting over the Plague....and he rasped, "Why don't you pray tonight."

OMG, I looked down at my salad, looked up at them, "Oh....uh...ah....I....um....ahh....I don't think I can." And then Blake says, "Well we'll just be thankful and eat, then!" And I said yes, that I was very thankful, for our meal and the good company. Now that I finally have Blake's e-mail address I'll send him an e-mail, but boy did I get a good laugh at myself last night. Blush

Anyone else care to share your awkward atheist moment?

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Percepticon's post
24-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Thumbs Up RE: That awkward moment when...
Wow, that was a great response from your friend!

So far really my only awkward moment was talking with my dad about it when he asked me about where I was in my faith.
Find all posts by this user
24-02-2012, 02:28 PM
RE: That awkward moment when...
I personally can't stand when Christians ask other Christians to pray.

If I wanted to pray out loud, I would have said, "Hey... I'm going to pray out loud."

Putting people on the spot has nothing to do with their closeness to God. It's a secret judging tool that Christians use against other Christians. I can't stand it.

Some people just don't do well at public speaking... and aren't comfortable with have the focus being put on themselves and what they are saying.

It's so inconsiderate and rude,and I wish Christians would stop doing it. If you have the audacity to ask someone else to pray, then why don't you do it yourself?

Sorry... kind of went on an OT rant.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
24-02-2012, 02:36 PM
On the funeral of my parents I was told beforehand that I needed to kiss one of these metal plates they worship at the RC church. It’s then when I told the priest I was actually an atheist.

My wife thinks this is why he let in the press at the church ignoring my absolute request not to do so.

ASSHAT!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
24-02-2012, 04:43 PM
The other day a friend asked me if I was an atheist. I told her yes, and she said "But... you're so normal, and happy!"
[+] 5 users Like Ben's post
24-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Quote:On the funeral of my parents I was told beforehand that I needed to kiss one of these metal plates they worship at the RC church. It’s then when I told the priest I was actually an atheist.

My wife thinks this is why he let in the press at the church ignoring my absolute request not to do so.

Could you describe this plate because as a catholic I can't think of anything other than relics that are kissed so it shouldn't be mandatory or a regular part of the mass.

Also, at least in Canada (which is fairly moderate) if you don't want to participate with the communion and anything else where you have to walk to the alter (stone table at the front) just stay seated . Most people figure you're in the process of becoming a Catholic so they don't question you.

And one other thing why was the press at the funeral. Where the deceased famous in anyway. Again this is extremely irregular and I'm surprised the priest didn't honour you're requests.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
24-02-2012, 06:34 PM
(24-02-2012 02:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Putting people on the spot has nothing to do with their closeness to God. It's a secret judging tool that Christians use against other Christians. I can't stand it.

Oh man KC, I know. My parents do this to me, but only when we have company. Or are with my girlfriend, who is not religious.

It's not their fault, though. We didn't used to do it when I was younger. Then when I was in high school and went off the deep end, I deployed the secret judging tool at mealtimes and it has stuck. (Actually, I'd say it has a dual purpose of judging and making yourself look pious.) Fuck me if I'm not paying for my sins.

And the prayer itself? "Thank you, Lord, for this food, in Jesus' name amen." Most uninspiring of drivel ever. It's like listening to Americans drone the fucking pledge of allegiance. Eugh.

Okay, okay, I continued KC's OT rant, but it struck a chord. Wink

Awkward atheist experience: My mother giving my non-religious girlfriend a Bible. Most awkward, though, because I felt weirder about the fact that it's one of those new-age-y translations than the fact that my mother pissed off my girlfriend by assuming she never read the Bible. I'm still growing into it a bit I guess. Shy

Also, pretty much any time my mother brings up "getting her saved."
24-02-2012, 06:39 PM
(24-02-2012 06:15 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
Quote:On the funeral of my parents I was told beforehand that I needed to kiss one of these metal plates they worship at the RC church. It’s then when I told the priest I was actually an atheist.

Could you describe this plate because as a catholic I can't think of anything other than relics that are kissed so it shouldn't be mandatory or a regular part of the mass.

It might be something like this:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJSrmYpbXd8IQTjuqemfM...4qYU9MnqHA]

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-02-2012, 06:50 PM
A close friend of mine asked me to be his best man at the wedding. He knows I am an atheist, and told me that didn't matter to him. I was (and still am) his closest friend and he wanted me to be an important part of their most important day. I was cool with it, and felt very honored.

Well at the church during the rehearsal, the pastor explained the ceremony, and that at a certain point the couple and their wedding party (myself and the maid of honor) would be invited to the front to take communion. I told him that I wouldn't be taking communion since I was not a Christian. He wasn't pleased, but said that we would just not make a big deal of it, and that I could just go and do it for the sake of the ceremony. I considered this disrespectful, and so reiterated that I would not be participating. He said fine, and moved on.

After the rehearsal, at dinner, my friend and his bride to be both thanked me for handling things so tactfully and respecting their religion at the same time. All was well.

The next day, at that "magical" part of the ceremony, the pastor asked the bridesmaid and I to come to the front so we could take communion! What was worse was that we were situated at the back of the church (some sort of family tradition where the two most trusted people stood at the doors to protect the couple) and had to walk down the aisle, making it an even bigger spectacle. I politely waved off his offer with a subtle shake of the head, hoping that he had gotten caught up in the moment and forgotten that I was a heathen. He continued to insist that we come to the front, so we walked up and I whispered to him again that I would prefer to decline. He said back to me, loud eough for all to hear, "you are in a christian church son. If you don't like the way we do things, perhaps you should wait outside.

My friend nearly lost it. I put my hand on his arm to calm him, then faced the pastor and ate the stale cracker (goddam guy put it in my mouth and I bet that fucker never washed his hands just to spite me). I felt like making an even bigger scene would have been selfish and ruined the wedding. So I just bit the bullet. It was SO embarassing. I couldn`t believe he did that.

Needless to say his invitation to the reception was revoked immediately after the service was done. He also went home that night with a broken nose. How he got it still remains a mystery to this day. Wink

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
24-02-2012, 07:00 PM
(24-02-2012 06:50 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I felt like making an even bigger scene would have been selfish and ruined the wedding. So I just bit the bullet.

Good on you. Tolerance in the face of douchebaggery for the sake of your friends FTW.
[+] 1 user Likes rook2004's post