That awkward moment when...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2012, 07:14 PM
RE: That awkward moment when...
Thanks rook. I'd like to say I took the high road, but I kinda ruined that by beating the ever lovin piss outta the guy behind the church. Felt fucking great though! LOL

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
24-02-2012, 07:23 PM
(24-02-2012 07:14 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Thanks rook. I'd like to say I took the high road, but I kinda ruined that by beating the ever lovin piss outta the guy behind the church. Felt fucking great though! LOL

You may not be a great man, you may not be a good man, but you're okay. Way to stand up for your friends on their special day, even if you did assault a priest. Tongue
24-02-2012, 07:26 PM
I have tons of awkward moments, but want to share some incite Tongue on some before I try to recall one.

Don't know the whole story, but I usually try with the "I'm not religious" or "I'm not Catholic (or insert sect)" without mentioning religion. I usually only bring it up (with family anyway) when I'm asked more directly. "You don't believe in God?" "Hell, no!".. Well, maybe just a "no.", but I feel like the other one at times.

With the grace, say it. Who says you have to thank their crappy deity for something that is clearly the work of and culmination of our technology and ability to work together. "I thank that we can work together and bring food throughout this country by the ingenuity and will of our own minds. Let's eat!" or something. Maybe leave it open ended so they can thank their deities if they wish... that's up to you. I don't think they knew you were an atheist, so either way. I've literally said "Good food, good meat, good God, let's eat" when someone asked me to say grace one time. Seemed funny at the time. Luckily, my family never asks me that since they do the same Catholic prayer at every meal. Granted, I haven't eaten with my family in a while. I kind of miss laughing in church with my siblings. Too bad they didn't all become atheists too. I think my older sister became a hardcore baptist. It was insane the first few times I talked to her after she found out I was an atheist. She's better now. Still crazy, but there are streaks of normal. Well, she was always crazy..

crap, we were talking about something. oh, awkwardness... The one that comes to mind right now was a friend I told I was an atheist. We had known each other for a few months. He didn't seem really religious, but there were these awkward moments here and there when he would bring up God and never prodded, but seemed like a prod in my direction. After a few months, I figured I'd tell him so he'd know. I hadn't been open as an atheist for long. He was from New York too. I guess I got it in my head that that made it better for some reason...

Either way, there is a McDonalds we and a group of people would meet every day because it was the earliest place open in that part of town besides Denny's, but that was a little ways... We were sitting out front drinking coffee. The street was a little busy from people going to work and such. It was a little wet on the sidewalks... the air was fresh.. and my friend was about to bring up God once again. I even set him up for it. I can't remember what I said, but it was trying to lead into lack of belief. I did mention that I'm not religious, but HOLY FUCKING HELL HE STARTED YELLING WHEN I SAID I WAS AN ATHEIST... WTF!! Just out of fucking nowhere.

It didn't scare me. Being from the Marine Corps people yelling was kind of normal, but the setting was off. There were normal people walking on the streets staring, my friend spilling his coffee, and yelling at the top of his lungs. I thought at first it was a joke.. I even asked him "are you joking?.. I can't really tell." No, he wasn't joking. I considered yelling back, but he seemed kind of.. I don't know, just in shock or something. It was just a weird situation. After telling him that it was alright, that the world wasn't going to end, that he was nuts and needed to see a doctor... well, I should have said that. Hindsight is better with your pants down, I say... He finally calmed down.

I stayed semi friends with him for a bit. I really couldn't hang out with him any more. He became uber-fundy overnight. There was praying all the time, and the kind where you hold hands... yeah, I'll wait over here, guys, let me know when you are done.. then the constant dropping of "Praise Jesus" and other things. He slowed down on that, and I even talked to him in length and probably gave him a really positive view on atheists, but still couldn't really get the way he acted out of my head. I think if he had simply apologized for it, it would have been much different. I'm not even sure he realizes his actions. Didn't even think to ask him. Oh, well. Don't really need friends like that anyhow.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 3 users Like craniumonempty's post
24-02-2012, 07:29 PM
(24-02-2012 07:14 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Thanks rook. I'd like to say I took the high road, but I kinda ruined that by beating the ever lovin piss outta the guy behind the church. Felt fucking great though! LOL

Well he deserved this. The New Testament warns against celebrating the Lord's Supper in an "unworthy manner." Many interpret the passage to mean, if you're not a Believer, you shouldn't take communion. Since a pastor should have been aware of this, surely God used you as an instrument of punishment upon his unworthy servant! Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Oh boy!

When my mom lay on her death bed in a hospital, she waved me up close and whispered:

"Please go stand outside the door and prevent the priest from coming in. I don't want to listen to that stuff now."

I about fell over. I had no idea she was atheist, all her family is devout catholic.

"Ok, mom, of course" I said. Stood outside the door and the priest showed up within minutes. I planted myself right in fron of the door and said: "you can't go in there".

He says:"oh, is it too late? I can still bless."

I said: "no, she just doesn't want to see you, period".

The conversation went on for about 5 minutes before he turned and left. You should have seen his face.

So I went back to mom and told her "mission accomplished". She smiled at me. "you are the only person I could trust to do this. I am so glad you're here" she said.

Well, I wish I had known sooner, but I was glad to be of help. I sure got strange looks from the nurses after that though.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 8 users Like Dom's post
24-02-2012, 07:33 PM
I have an awkward moment every Sunday evening when I go to family dinner. Our custom since time in memoriam is to hold hands and say prayer. They quit asking me about 3 years ago to pray, at which point I was still holding onto some semblance of Christianity. So now that I'm an atheist (probably unbeknownst to them), they still never ask me to pray. I hated the request even when I was a pastor. Or maybe especially when I was a pastor. Any sort of function with food, "Pastor Erxomai, would you please give the blessing. You are a professional afterall." What a stupid understanding of prayer. If prayer were real, anyone can and should do it. It's not just for "professional clergy." Stupid, fucking Christians!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-02-2012, 07:42 PM
(24-02-2012 07:33 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I have an awkward moment every Sunday evening when I go to family dinner. Our custom since time in memoriam is to hold hands and say prayer. They quit asking me about 3 years ago to pray, at which point I was still holding onto some semblance of Christianity. So now that I'm an atheist (probably unbeknownst to them), they still never ask me to pray. I hated the request even when I was a pastor. Or maybe especially when I was a pastor. Any sort of function with food, "Pastor Erxomai, would you please give the blessing. You are a professional afterall." What a stupid understanding of prayer. If prayer were real, anyone can and should do it. It's not just for "professional clergy." Stupid, fucking Christians!

lol, well, you were the professional, shouldn't you have told them that?

[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
24-02-2012, 07:44 PM
(24-02-2012 07:42 PM)craniumonempty Wrote:  
(24-02-2012 07:33 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I have an awkward moment every Sunday evening when I go to family dinner. Our custom since time in memoriam is to hold hands and say prayer. They quit asking me about 3 years ago to pray, at which point I was still holding onto some semblance of Christianity. So now that I'm an atheist (probably unbeknownst to them), they still never ask me to pray. I hated the request even when I was a pastor. Or maybe especially when I was a pastor. Any sort of function with food, "Pastor Erxomai, would you please give the blessing. You are a professional afterall." What a stupid understanding of prayer. If prayer were real, anyone can and should do it. It's not just for "professional clergy." Stupid, fucking Christians!

lol, well, you were the professional, shouldn't you have told them that?

I did many times...but then I realized my prayers were shorter than most other people's so it was usually better that I prayed before meals than let some amateur do it and let the food grow cold!

~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
24-02-2012, 07:46 PM
(24-02-2012 06:50 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  [...]
Needless to say his invitation to the reception was revoked immediately after the service was done. He also went home that night with a broken nose. How he got it still remains a mystery to this day. Wink

At times, I envy this. The only fights I ever get into are when my friends get into fights. In the military, I spent most of my time making sure people didn't get into fights. I'm so non-confrontational now, someone could probably hit me and I probably wouldn't hit back. They'd have to threaten someone I know for that. It just doesn't matter if it's me for some reason... I wonder if that's low self esteem.

24-02-2012, 08:42 PM
(24-02-2012 07:46 PM)craniumonempty Wrote:  It just doesn't matter if it's me for some reason... I wonder if that's low self esteem.

No man, that's power. Smile
[+] 2 users Like rook2004's post