That badass moment during a calc III exam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2014, 06:27 PM
That badass moment during a calc III exam
>takes calc III exam
>does every problem like a bawss except for forgetting how to friggin' use to vectors to find area of parallelogram in 3D space
>charts out a vector based parallelogram in 2d space on paper, adds zero to the z coordinates of both vectors
>counts the squares to find area
>goes through everything from magnitude of individual vectors and using angle between vectors, to no avail. None of the answers match your previously calculated mock parallelogram.
>realizes that I never tried cross product and magnitude
>solves for mock parallelogram with pride and uses newly formed theorem to find the area to his original problem
>leaves ALL that work for the teacher to see

Anyone else go through a brief panic during a math test only to use your mathematical knowledge to figure shit out? Share your stories! Tongue

It's only a debate if both parties are willing to let each other's opinions change their own.
If you aren't willing to change in light of learning more about what you fight for, what the hell are you doing expecting the other party to want to change?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes le_bard's post
27-02-2014, 10:04 PM
RE: That badass moment during a calc III exam
(26-02-2014 06:27 PM)le_bard Wrote:  Anyone else go through a brief panic during a math test only to use your mathematical knowledge to figure shit out? Share your stories! Tongue

There are a formulas (arc length and sector area, for example) that I never actually learned, but instead I just figured out how to do it myself. If the angle is 36 degrees it's 1/10th of the circle and thus the arc is 1/10th of its circumference and the sector 1/10th of its area. There have been times when I've forgotten the derivatives of secant, cosecant or cotangent and so I've managed to figure them out by putting them in terms of sine or cosine. Once for Quiz Bowl I completely made up a formula and used it for a problem and got it right (I can't remember the problem now unfortunately).
01-03-2014, 12:27 AM
(26-02-2014 06:27 PM)le_bard Wrote:  >takes calc III exam
>does every problem like a bawss except for forgetting how to friggin' use to vectors to find area of parallelogram in 3D space
>charts out a vector based parallelogram in 2d space on paper, adds zero to the z coordinates of both vectors
>goes through everything from magnitude of individual vectors and using angle between vectors, to no avail. None of the answers match your previously calculated mock parallelogram.
>solves for mock parallelogram with pride and uses newly formed theorem to find the area to his original problem

Anyone else go through a brief panic during a math test only to use your mathematical knowledge to figure shit out? Share your stories! Tongue

*scratches head*
dafuq is this dude talking about?
Tongue
i'm really bad as soon as soon as you include z coordinates and 3d objects,and pretty much nothing can help me during such a test

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
06-03-2014, 08:05 PM
(01-03-2014 12:27 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(26-02-2014 06:27 PM)le_bard Wrote:  >takes calc III exam

*scratches head*
dafuq is this dude talking about?
Tongue
i'm really bad as soon as soon as you include z coordinates and 3d objects,and pretty much nothing can help me during such a test

Just saying a passed a calculus test you have become a god Bowing

[Image: hyena_icon_large_by_griffsnuff-d3juy9l.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM