That damn socialized medicine.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2015, 12:38 PM
RE: That damn socialized medicine.
Let us know how she’s doing.

Hope the family can celebrate the New Year together.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
31-12-2015, 12:43 PM
My wife, kids, and I have had healthcare in eleven different countries including some fairly serious stuff. I spent 8 days in intensive care in the Dominican Republic. They sent the records to my doc in the USA and he said I would probably have died here. I had an antibiotic resistant infection and they were able to use two antibiotics on me that have not yet been approved in the USA. I also broke my ankle and gashed open my leg while we were climbing in the Himalayas in Kyrgyzstan and I got great medical care for that in Bishkek. In fact, I was back climbing two days later although I was slow as hell. I really hate American medical care. It costs a fortune for incompetent care. My brother, who is a doc and a former professor at a famous medical school, goes to Sweden for his medical care.
[+] 6 users Like Black Eagle's post
31-12-2015, 06:15 PM
(31-12-2015 12:43 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  My brother, who is a doc and a former professor at a famous medical school, goes to Sweden for his medical care.

How's that work? Professional courtesy?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-12-2015, 08:37 PM
(31-12-2015 06:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 12:43 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  My brother, who is a doc and a former professor at a famous medical school, goes to Sweden for his medical care.

How's that work? Professional courtesy?

I have no idea. I just know there is a hospital there where he does some teaching and they provide him with med care. He had his prostate cut out over there and he goes there once a year for a complete physical. He gives me a hard time because I had my prostate taken out here in America and he assumes that means I want to die. I tell him I don't give a shit whether I live or die. I've had a wonderful life already.
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
31-12-2015, 08:51 PM
(31-12-2015 08:37 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 06:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  How's that work? Professional courtesy?

I have no idea. I just know there is a hospital there where he does some teaching and they provide him with med care. He had his prostate cut out over there and he goes there once a year for a complete physical. He gives me a hard time because I had my prostate taken out here in America and he assumes that means I want to die. I tell him I don't give a shit whether I live or die. I've had a wonderful life already.

I'm wondering about it from a more practical aspect. He's not a Swedish citizen so presumably he's not entitled to anything more than emergency care in Sweden. And the only reason he's entitled to emergency services is because he happens to be in a civilized country. And the Swedes got plenty of other citizens to take care of. Do the Swedes have some sort of medical procedure tourist industry like India?

#sigh
31-12-2015, 11:05 PM
I’m so glad your sister got the care she needed!

Though your post does raise a question for me. -I think basic medical care should be considered to be a right for all human beings, and each government should strive to provide this to their citizens. But does the socialized medical system promote advancements in medical sciences? I wonder if countries with socialized medicine are contributing to advancements in medicine at the same rate as the Americans are. Or perhaps the rate in countries supporting socialized medicine is higher than the United States.

Does anyone have any reliable data on this?
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
31-12-2015, 11:21 PM
(31-12-2015 11:05 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I’m so glad your sister got the care she needed!

Though your post does raise a question for me. -I think basic medical care should be considered to be a right for all human beings, and each government should strive to provide this to their citizens. But does the socialized medical system promote advancements in medical sciences? I wonder if countries with socialized medicine are contributing to advancements in medicine at the same rate as the Americans are. Or perhaps the rate in countries supporting socialized medicine is higher than the United States.

I don't think there is a strong link between medical care and medical research. They are separately funded and largely done by different people.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
31-12-2015, 11:30 PM
(31-12-2015 10:53 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  How aboot doze Canadian death panels, eh? I was under the impression that socialized medicine = death panels. At least that is what some elephant told me.

The US has death panels... we call the healthcare insurance companies.
[+] 2 users Like ARenfort's post
01-01-2016, 05:16 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2016 05:20 AM by Banjo.)
(31-12-2015 11:05 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I’m so glad your sister got the care she needed!

why don't you Google it? I actually consider answering this question beneath me.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
01-01-2016, 05:49 AM
I am so proud of our NHS over here, its possibly the only thing left that I am proud of.

Need an emergency dentist? Get seen that day.
Ambulance cant gain access or would be too slow in getting you to the hospital? Send an air ambulance.
Prescriptions free if in reciept of welfare or £8 per item if you are employed.

Ive often wondered about your system in the US. Im surprised somebody never tried to implement the same system of insurance with the Fire and Police service that you have for healthcare.
Drinking Beverage

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post