That damn socialized medicine.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2016, 06:37 AM
RE: That damn socialized medicine.
(01-01-2016 05:16 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 11:05 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I’m so glad your sister got the care she needed!

Though your post does raise a question for me. -I think basic medical care should be considered to be a right for all human beings, and each government should strive to provide this to their citizens. But does the socialized medical system promote advancements in medical sciences? I wonder if countries with socialized medicine are contributing to advancements in medicine at the same rate as the Americans are. Or perhaps the rate in countries supporting socialized medicine is higher than the United States.

Does anyone have any reliable data on this?

why don't you Google it? I actually consider answering this question beneath me.

I asked because I thought someone might be in the know. I just figured that because this has been such a hot button, heavily politicized topic in the US that some of the published articles could be skewed to favor one side or another.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
01-01-2016, 07:14 AM
(01-01-2016 05:49 AM)bemore Wrote:  Ive often wondered about your system in the US. Im surprised somebody never tried to implement the same system of insurance with the Fire and Police service that you have for healthcare.
Drinking Beverage

Actually, in some places in the US we do exactly that. And, not surprisingly, it can lead to some fucked up results.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
04-01-2016, 10:26 PM
(01-01-2016 06:37 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 05:16 AM)Banjo Wrote:  why don't you Google it? I actually consider answering this question beneath me.

I asked because I thought someone might be in the know. I just figured that because this has been such a hot button, heavily politicized topic in the US that some of the published articles could be skewed to favor one side or another.

It's hard to say. It seems that the US has a clear lead in medical and biological science research both in terms of quantity and the quality (as measured by the frequency of US papers being cited by other work).
(ref. http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherpe...medicine/)

That may not have anything to do with the healthcare industry, though. Medical innovations are marketed and sold worldwide to a mix of customers in the US and other countries that have socialized medical systems. So the business of medical innovation in a country may not directly correlate with the model used to deliver the healthcare in that same country.

Patent laws that are very favorable to companies that develop new medicine I think are the most important driver of that innovation.

In the US, drug companies work to receive an extension of the patent term on their drugs simply because they made a minor modification and patented that modification. The modified drug extends the term another 5 years. The drug being modified doesn't even have to be a drug under any current patent to receive this patent extension protection.

However, if you are willing to receive only medicine that is no newer than 20yr old, you will find that the cost of your health care (and life expectancy) will be less.
[+] 2 users Like BryanS's post
05-01-2016, 12:06 AM
(Not directly related)

I don't know if anyone pays attention to Chinese celebrity gossip, but actress Li Bingbing, who is in the middle of doing a movie in Australia, has been talking shit about the Australian medical system. She claims she had to return to the motherland to get adequate treatment for her tonsillitis.

Crickets
Crickets
CricketsCrickets Crickets

'Murican Canadian
07-01-2016, 09:55 AM
(05-01-2016 12:06 AM)yakherder Wrote:  (Not directly related)

I don't know if anyone pays attention to Chinese celebrity gossip, but actress Li Bingbing, who is in the middle of doing a movie in Australia, has been talking shit about the Australian medical system. She claims she had to return to the motherland to get adequate treatment for her tonsillitis.

Crickets
Crickets
CricketsCrickets Crickets

Now now, let's not bother the Chinese during their identity crisis. It's not they're fault they have to balance their rampant lack of quality control with an inflated national ego. At least they aren't big fat meanies like North Korea. Dodgy

(also not directly related)

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post