That fear enducing dream again!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2015, 05:32 AM
That fear enducing dream again!
I have had this dream ever since I was little. I'm sure many of you have had a similar or the same experience. I lie in bed drifting in and out of conciousness. I eventually seem to hit a mid point where I am still awake but i am unable to move. It's like being paralyzed but with full cognitive ability. For those of you who have experienced this I know you will agree it's quite disturbing. The more I struggle to become awake the more this unnerving feeling of dread takes over. I know it's a psychological thing and not real but it's as if a being of pure horror lies just out of sight. I never see it but I can feel it just behind the door. As I struggle for freedom I become more and more anxious until I'm near pure panic then something snaps and I'm suddenly fully awake and in control of my body again if not extremely unhappy. After years of it coming and going i have become used to it but last night it went a step further. The embodiment of all this fear and panic or if not for a better word "entity" is like nothing but darkness and fear in fact not even darkness but more like an absence of any light. Like I said at the start it's not a case of seeing it but feeling it as it never comes in to sight. Always just behind a door or around a corner but last night it was behind the door like usual and then for a very brief moment just before I woke from this trance like state it was next to my bed starting to lean over me. That's never happened before. It's never been so close. Any ideas? I'm not under any illusions of spirits or other unworldly going ons but it really is unpleasant. I don't scare easy but it is the worst feeling of dread I ever experienced in my life. Obviously something in my subconscious is not happy. How about you're experiences and did anyone ever get an answer as to why?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2015, 05:42 AM
RE: That fear enducing dream again!
When I was in my twenties I use to suffer from " night terrors". Crazy nightmares similar to yourself, I felt paralysed and could not move or scream. I've seen a dark figure at the end of my bed many times and I was also convinced that the bed was shaking violently and felt very real. They eventually become less frequent, and I haven't had one in years.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
04-04-2015, 06:07 AM
What you're describing sounds like Sleep Paralysis.

It's completely normal and it happens to a lot of people. Sometimes it causes hallucinations, so it can be extra scary.

I think there are ways it can be treated if it becomes serious.

*Edit*
The only similar experience for me is when I'm too stressed sometimes and I wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I'm having a panic attack. It goes away in a couple of minutes though and I get back to sleep.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
04-04-2015, 06:08 AM
(04-04-2015 05:32 AM)kaihowell82 Wrote:  I have had this dream ever since I was little. I'm sure many of you have had a similar or the same experience. I lie in bed drifting in and out of conciousness. I eventually seem to hit a mid point where I am still awake but i am unable to move. It's like being paralyzed but with full cognitive ability. For those of you who have experienced this I know you will agree it's quite disturbing. The more I struggle to become awake the more this unnerving feeling of dread takes over. I know it's a psychological thing and not real but it's as if a being of pure horror lies just out of sight. I never see it but I can feel it just behind the door. As I struggle for freedom I become more and more anxious until I'm near pure panic then something snaps and I'm suddenly fully awake and in control of my body again if not extremely unhappy. After years of it coming and going i have become used to it but last night it went a step further. The embodiment of all this fear and panic or if not for a better word "entity" is like nothing but darkness and fear in fact not even darkness but more like an absence of any light. Like I said at the start it's not a case of seeing it but feeling it as it never comes in to sight. Always just behind a door or around a corner but last night it was behind the door like usual and then for a very brief moment just before I woke from this trance like state it was next to my bed starting to lean over me. That's never happened before. It's never been so close. Any ideas? I'm not under any illusions of spirits or other unworldly going ons but it really is unpleasant. I don't scare easy but it is the worst feeling of dread I ever experienced in my life. Obviously something in my subconscious is not happy. How about you're experiences and did anyone ever get an answer as to why?

It sounds like sleep paralysis to me. During sleep paralysis, disturbing hallucinations are commonly reported.

Not sure what causes it. If I had to voice a totally uninformed opinion, I'd guess stress-related hormonal imbalances, at least that's what I'd guess for my recent experience:

I can tell you it was... unpleasant... My hallucination was distinctly different that yours however: I was trying to go to sleep, finally being taken into it's dark embrace when... my eyes shoot open, I could swear I can 'feel' some sort of threat in the room with me, but I can't see shit. I try to push myself up off the bed to face the 'threat', but I can't move. I try to shout, no sound comes out. Then I feel it, 'something' is pushing on the small of my back and upper neck. At this point I was barely able to keep my feeling of what can only be described as abject horror in check; I kept telling myself it was a dream, over and over. Didn't stop me from trying to get away or scream though.
The feeling eventually subsided, after what was probably only a few of the longest minutes of my life. I didn't get to sleep for the next 24 hours, the memory haunted me for days.
As I said prior, I'm pretty sure it was triggered by stress from assignments.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
04-04-2015, 06:47 AM
(04-04-2015 05:42 AM)Marozz Wrote:  When I was in my twenties I use to suffer from " night terrors". Crazy nightmares similar to yourself, I felt paralysed and could not move or scream. I've seen a dark figure at the end of my bed many times and I was also convinced that the bed was shaking violently and felt very real. They eventually become less frequent, and I haven't had one in years.

Jesus, that sounds terrifying. I practically shit the bed if I'm not sleeping facing the door let alone seeing black figures at the end of my bed. I have a VERY RATIONAL! fear of being brutally stabbed (though equally terrified of being gently stabbed) while in my bed.

[Image: oscar.png]
04-04-2015, 06:54 AM
I experienced sleep paralysis a couple of times. The first time it happened, I fell asleep in my then-boyfriend's arms one night and my eyes started to open and I saw a dark figure at the end of the bed and I actually even felt hands trying to grab at my legs. I couldn't move my body at all and I was freaking out. My ex was still awake so I managed to scratch at him until he noticed and woke me up. Freakiest shit I've ever experienced.

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
04-04-2015, 08:04 AM
The old hag got ya! Be afraid! Smile
04-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Sleep paralysis may well be an evolved trait that benefited our tree-dwelling ancestors.

Falling out of trees when sleeping is not beneficial. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2015, 04:38 PM
(04-04-2015 08:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  Sleep paralysis may well be an evolved trait that benefited our tree-dwelling ancestors.

I thought that was more so related to that falling feeling we get when we fall asleep too fast? Consider

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
04-04-2015, 04:56 PM
(04-04-2015 04:38 PM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  
(04-04-2015 08:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  Sleep paralysis may well be an evolved trait that benefited our tree-dwelling ancestors.

I thought that was more so related to that falling feeling we get when we fall asleep too fast? Consider

That could be more effect than cause. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user