"That's Not Fair!"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2014, 04:16 PM
"That's Not Fair!"
One of my co-workers (who talks way too much about her religious beliefs - though she is only one of several that I work with that do that) was talking about how gay marriage should be outlawed because it goes against the Bible, and the U.S. was founded as "a Christian nation" (how many times have we heard that bullshit before?).

So, here is how I responded: "You want to have all of our nation's laws go with those of the Bible? Ok, then let's make sure we follow all of the laws laid down in the Bible: We will make slavery legal again, the penalty for a child disobeying their parents will be that they are to be stoned to death, the penalty for a woman not being a virgin on the night of her wedding will be that she is stoned to death, if a man is caught raping a woman the penalty will be that he pays her father 50 pieces of silver and then takes her as his wife and never be allowed to divorce her, and men will have the right to sell their daughters as sex slaves - and that is all just for starters!"
"That's not fair!" she replied, of course.
"Why not? Because you no longer get to cherry pick the parts you like and throw aside the ones you don't like?"

She got really angry and refused to discuss the subject any further. Typical...

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
05-03-2014, 04:17 PM
RE: "That's Not Fair!"
Damn I so wanted to hear what she had to say.
05-03-2014, 04:18 PM
(05-03-2014 04:16 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  One of my co-workers (who talks way too much about her religious beliefs - though she is only one of several that I work with that do that) was talking about how gay marriage should be outlawed because it goes against the Bible, and the U.S. was founded as "a Christian nation" (how many times have we heard that bullshit before?).

So, here is how I responded: "You want to have all of our nation's laws go with those of the Bible? Ok, then let's make sure we follow all of the laws laid down in the Bible: We will make slavery legal again, the penalty for a child disobeying their parents will be that they are to be stoned to death, the penalty for a woman not being a virgin on the night of her wedding will be that she is stoned to death, if a man is caught raping a woman the penalty will be that he pays her father 50 pieces of silver and then takes her as his wife and never be allowed to divorce her, and men will have the right to sell their daughters as sex slaves - and that is all just for starters!"
"Why not? Because you no longer get to cherry pick the parts you like and throw aside the ones you don't like?"

Cognitive dissonance is a wonder to behold. Laughat

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
05-03-2014, 04:20 PM
when all the absurdity is on the table, all theists have is nothing but tantrums

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
05-03-2014, 04:28 PM
(05-03-2014 04:20 PM)nach_in Wrote:  when all the absurdity is atrocities are on the table, all theists have is nothing but tantrums

Fixed, King o'f the Cows.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
05-03-2014, 04:37 PM
(05-03-2014 04:16 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  One of my co-workers (who talks way too much about her religious beliefs - though she is only one of several that I work with that do that) was talking about how gay marriage should be outlawed because it goes against the Bible, and the U.S. was founded as "a Christian nation" (how many times have we heard that bullshit before?).

And speaking of cherry picking, we also need laws banning human marriages with dogs, with cell phones, with cars, with buildings, with computers, with... if marriage is supposed to be between a man and woman why stop with banning gay marriage? But that's the only one they complain about. Hmm. Consider
Homophobes

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
05-03-2014, 04:46 PM
(05-03-2014 04:16 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  She got really angry and refused to discuss the subject any further. Typical...

Was there a downside to this? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
05-03-2014, 04:53 PM
(05-03-2014 04:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 04:16 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  She got really angry and refused to discuss the subject any further. Typical...

Was there a downside to this? Consider

I guess I was hoping that she would further challenge me, just so I could rip apart any of the other religious crap that she's always spouting. I guess that I should just be happy that there is definitely a good chance that she will never bother me with this shit again. Smile

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
05-03-2014, 05:04 PM
You should've just asked her which founding fathers were Christian. If she named more than two, you would need to tell her that she needs to do her research.

We are a deist nation at best.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 6 users Like kingschosen's post
05-03-2014, 07:14 PM
(05-03-2014 04:17 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Damn I so wanted to hear what she had to say.

Probably something to the effect of "That's not fair! You're ruining my argument!", or "That's not fair! Only Christians can quote the Bible!".

(05-03-2014 05:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You should've just asked her which founding fathers were Christian. If she named more than two, you would need to tell her that she needs to do her research.

We are a deist nation at best.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume she doesn't know what a deist is.