That's gotta piss him off.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2017, 06:33 AM
That's gotta piss him off.
I sold a car (98 Saturn SL2)( in excellent shape. No rust. Only thing didn't work is cruise control, and that's simply a software thing) the other day to the son of a neighbor for $1650. The kid lives over in the next town, and I happen to drive by his place several times a week.

I happened to go by today, and just down the street from where the kid lives, there's 2002 SL2 that just got parked out by the road with a for sale sign. $1400. It looked to be in pretty good shape....

Of course it could be rusted out underneath(common) or guzzle oil , ( also common), but I gotta wonder - did the kid check it out?????

How could you not????

Do you torture yourself wondering what kind of shape it's in?? If you check and it's a rust bucket, you feel great. If you don't check, or it is in great shape, you're bummed out..

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2017, 06:51 AM
RE: That's gotta piss him off.
Its a rather unusual looking car (typical american, unusual for euros), but damn, its fuel efficient. Wiki says it was the single most stolen car in the US in the mid 90s Laugh out load

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
04-08-2017, 07:23 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2017 07:27 AM by onlinebiker.)
(04-08-2017 06:51 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Its a rather unusual looking car (typical american, unusual for euros), but damn, its fuel efficient. Wiki says it was the single most stolen car in the US in the mid 90s Laugh out load

I think of it as the Model T of the 90s....

They're just stupid simple to work on.

That's just the S series. As far as I'm concerned they are the only true Saturn's...

The L series and mini-vans are just worked over GMs.

Edit - the fuel efficiency comes from the light weight. They're lighter than a MiniCooper and most models of the Fiat 500.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
04-08-2017, 08:58 AM
I just checked again. Its indeed rather lightweight, plus the rather adequate engine (not ridiculously big/overpowered)...yeah, makes a lot of sense.

I got an Opel Astra F, also from the 90s. 75HP, 1.6l GM engine and weighs about the same. MPG is also the same. Insanely efficient if you arent looking for streetraces. Very robust (because not yet overly complex) electronics...and its a fucking convertible!

Just today i managed to fix the dashboard of a Volvo 940 (also 90s), the speedometer was broken. Would have been impossible in a more modern car. Some electrolytic capacitors were leaking (well, after 25 years that could be quite expected). The whole construction is...ok. The recent stuff we are making today is just too complex if you want to keep your car for more than just a few years. We are designing electronics with a lifetime of 15 years only, while many tests show the designs to be already borderline. Go figure how many cars are left 25 years from now.

A 90s car is the best compromise between simplicity (to maintain) on one hand and comfort and gizmos you can have nowadays, and they are ridiculously cheap because at least 20y old.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
04-08-2017, 09:58 AM
(04-08-2017 08:58 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I just checked again. Its indeed rather lightweight, plus the rather adequate engine (not ridiculously big/overpowered)...yeah, makes a lot of sense.

I got an Opel Astra F, also from the 90s. 75HP, 1.6l GM engine and weighs about the same. MPG is also the same. Insanely efficient if you arent looking for streetraces. Very robust (because not yet overly complex) electronics...and its a fucking convertible!

Just today i managed to fix the dashboard of a Volvo 940 (also 90s), the speedometer was broken. Would have been impossible in a more modern car. Some electrolytic capacitors were leaking (well, after 25 years that could be quite expected). The whole construction is...ok. The recent stuff we are making today is just too complex if you want to keep your car for more than just a few years. We are designing electronics with a lifetime of 15 years only, while many tests show the designs to be already borderline. Go figure how many cars are left 25 years from now.

A 90s car is the best compromise between simplicity (to maintain) on one hand and comfort and gizmos you can have nowadays, and they are ridiculously cheap because at least 20y old.

The lack of user possible maintenance is obviously a drawback, but I am continually impressed at the technology in newer cars, particularly the rate of advancement. The difference between my 2005 BMW 6 series, my 2010 Jaguar XF and my 2014 Infiniti Hybrid is just staggering, and we're only talking 9 years total. Coupled with the self driving tech and the safety equipment like lane departure and automatic crash avoidance, it's all pretty mind boggling.

Heh. Obviously I like all the toys, but there is a part of me that would still like to be spending time in my 1994 twin turbo RX7 or even further back, my first car - a 1982 Fiat Spider LOL
04-08-2017, 10:25 AM
(04-08-2017 09:58 AM)Stefan Mayerschoff Wrote:  
(04-08-2017 08:58 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I just checked again. Its indeed rather lightweight, plus the rather adequate engine (not ridiculously big/overpowered)...yeah, makes a lot of sense.

The lack of user possible maintenance is obviously a drawback, but I am continually impressed at the technology in newer cars, particularly the rate of advancement. The difference between my 2005 BMW 6 series, my 2010 Jaguar XF and my 2014 Infiniti Hybrid is just staggering, and we're only talking 9 years total. Coupled with the self driving tech and the safety equipment like lane departure and automatic crash avoidance, it's all pretty mind boggling.

Heh. Obviously I like all the toys, but there is a part of me that would still like to be spending time in my 1994 twin turbo RX7 or even further back, my first car - a 1982 Fiat Spider LOL

I'm just waiting for the glass guy to get here, to replace the windshield. Then I'm taking the 93 SC2 out for a drive. It's our lightest one, as it's a bare bones version. No power anything, no A/C. (factory) It's teal, and without the damned spoiler.... Everything works, including the automatic retracting seat belts.... 2 more years and it gets vintage plates.. Smile

04-08-2017, 11:17 AM
I miss my 68 Cadillac. I did a lot of freeway driving back when I owned one and it was wonderful for that.

Would not be practical in the here and now though. Sadcryface

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-08-2017, 12:50 PM
I'd never heard of this one until a few days ago and now I REALLY want one. It's a 1961 Buick Flamingo. And I am kind of a flamingo freak.

Makes it a hell of a lot easier for mom to say "Don't make me come back there..."

[Image: aVCXcKM.jpg]

[Image: 1961-Buick-Flamingo-convertible-Electra-225-592x183.jpg]

Hmmm. I wonder, is this the female equivalent of a male in the middle of a midlife crisis getting something like this:

[Image: funny-penis-car.jpg]

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
05-08-2017, 09:08 PM
(05-08-2017 12:50 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I'd never heard of this one until a few days ago and now I REALLY want one. It's a 1961 Buick Flamingo. And I am kind of a flamingo freak.

Makes it a hell of a lot easier for mom to say "Don't make me come back there..."

My nutty sister would like this.
She likes to wave to her (imaginary) fans. People look like "Who the fuck is that ?"

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
05-08-2017, 09:34 PM
Oh I LIKE that idea. I think I'll blow them kisses too!

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams