"That's one small step for man, one giant embarrassment for Mormon prophecy"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2017, 06:38 PM
RE: "That's one small step for man, one giant embarrassment for Mormon prophecy"
Now that’s how you eviscerate a religion.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2017, 06:46 PM
RE: "That's one small step for man, one giant embarrassment for Mormon prophecy"
Love this paragraph from page 33

"I've been asked once by an LDS apologist if I would be okay with Joseph Smith's polygamy and polyandry if I received a witness that God really did command Joseph Smith to participate in these practices. The question is not if I would “be okay with” God commanding Joseph Smith to secretly steal other men’s wives and to marry underage and teenage girls. The question is “Do I believe that God did such a thing?” The answer, based on comparing D&C 132 to what actually happened, along with my personal belief that there is no such thing as an insane polygamist god who demanded such sadistic, immoral, adulterous, despicable, and pedophilic behavior while threatening Joseph’s life with one of his angels with a sword...is an emphatic and absolute “no.”

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
06-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Just keeps getting better...

"As a believing Mormon, I tried to rationalize some of the craziness by saying, “Oh, this is in the crazy Old Testament when the Law of Moses was in force. Christ came and fulfilled the Law of Moses.”

The problem with this is that the crazy god of the Old Testament was Jehovah. Who’s Jehovah? The premortal Jesus Christ. So, Christ is the crazy god of the Old Testament. The Christ of the Old Testament and the Christ of the New Testament are light years different. Again, I’m asked to believe in not only a part-time racist god and a part-time polygamous god but a part-time psychopathic schizophrenic one as well.”

Laugh out load

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
06-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Holy shit!

“Some things that are true are not very useful + It is wrong to criticize leaders of the Church, even if the criticism is true + Spying and monitoring on members + Intellectuals are dangerous + When the prophet speaks the debate is over + Obedience is the First Law of Heaven = Policies and practices you’d expect to find in a totalitarian system such as North Korea or George Orwell’s 1984; not from the gospel of Jesus Christ."

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
06-08-2017, 07:59 PM
I propose we start a new religion where we worship this letter. Bowing

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
06-08-2017, 11:07 PM
All xtians are stupid but mormon is a special class of stupid.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
07-08-2017, 06:19 PM
It has to suck balls to belong to a religion whose embarassing origins aren't lost to antiquity. I had Mormons visit last weekend while I was out gardening. They left... Disappointed.

I forget where I first ran across that lovely vivisection. It may have been posted here. I owe somebody a big thanks though.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
08-08-2017, 10:53 AM
(07-08-2017 06:19 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  It has to suck balls to belong to a religion whose embarassing origins aren't lost to antiquity. I had Mormons visit last weekend while I was out gardening. They left... Disappointed.

In my head I hear the last part of your post "They left...Disappointed" in exactly the same timbre as the old guardian knight in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" when he says "He chose....poorly"
[+] 2 users Like Stefan Mayerschoff's post
08-08-2017, 06:37 PM
(08-08-2017 10:53 AM)Stefan Mayerschoff Wrote:  
(07-08-2017 06:19 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  It has to suck balls to belong to a religion whose embarassing origins aren't lost to antiquity. I had Mormons visit last weekend while I was out gardening. They left... Disappointed.

In my head I hear the last part of your post "They left...Disappointed" in exactly the same timbre as the old guardian knight in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" when he says "He chose....poorly"
Yeah that's what occurred to me, too ...
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
08-08-2017, 09:18 PM

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.