The “Fall of The Roman Empire” is a myth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2011, 03:47 PM

RE: The “Fall of The Roman Empire” is a myth
(24-10-2011 03:39 PM)Glaucus Wrote:  
(24-10-2011 03:10 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  In my long life I have personally seen citizens of a civilized country turning into a mob of vicious killers, sadists even, destructing everything and anyone they could touch.

And what stopped them?

Running out of victims to kill.

Look. Glaucus, I am not saying that there is absolutely no hope.

I am more of a realist, so I maintain doubt on every level.

...and, if I were young today, I would do my very best to fight for the last scrap of hope, no matter how bleak it looks.

But, I am an old man, have done my fighting (not even too long ago) and it is up to you youngsters now to take over. I only caution you to go into battle with realistic expectation, clear, rational minds, knowing your enemy and knowing yourselves.

I wish you the best of luck -- if for no other reason, than the future of my (and your) grandchildren.

Smile
Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Tough, say you're right. What do we do? Your super bug would come out of trying to keep people healthy, or increase food production through GM crops. Your super storm might come from trying to limit natural disasters. And your super bomb might be the result of trying to find a better fuel source.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2011, 03:49 PM

(24-10-2011 03:47 PM)Glaucus Wrote:  Tough, say you're right. What do we do?

See Post $11
24-10-2011, 05:14 PM
(24-10-2011 03:47 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  But, I am an old man, have done my fighting (not even too long ago) and it is up to you youngsters now to take over. I only caution you to go into battle with realistic expectation, clear, rational minds, knowing your enemy and knowing yourselves.

I wish you the best of luck -- if for no other reason, than the future of my (and your) grandchildren.

Smile

Thanks for everything you did Zat. I can only speak for myself but I will try my best everysingle day to show people the lies they are bombarded with everyday......yes I know it is a long journey but I have optimism on my side and hope in my heart and that will carry me through.

People ask me why I do it.......its not for me I do it......its for everything on this planet.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
24-10-2011, 05:24 PM
“We are all mistaken sometimes; sometimes we do wrong things, things that have bad consequences. But it does not mean we are evil, or that we cannot be trusted ever afterward.”- Alison Croggon
We are just human Zatamon and we can't really change that.It's our nature to conquer. We are just like any other species in the world, we have this primitive sense that is ingrained in our DNA that make us alike to Apes. To eat,mate and take territories and survive. Yes, we have made mistakes but we are learning from them. If they was no wars, no poverty and no diseases, do you think we would have survived? Empires may have been a bad thing but didn't they give us the foundation of our society. I mean look we are accepting homosexual and allowing them to marry. If you look back 50 years ago, you were put in prison if you were gay. Our society is not perfect and is still primitive in my point of view but it's the best thing we got. Glacus is right, they are people keeping it in check.
Focus on the good thingsBig Grin I think people are focusing too much on the bad things and easily forget on the good things that we, our society have to offer Wink

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
24-10-2011, 05:44 PM

(24-10-2011 05:24 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  Focus on the good thingsBig Grin I think people are focusing too much on the bad things and easily forget on the good things that we, our society have to offer Wink

Tazmin, I hear you and I know what you mean. As long as there is life, there is hope.

All I am saying is that you have to be realistic.

Don't look at things with rose-coloured glasses, but don't look at them with dark ones either.

Realistic means the vision of an engineer.

Look at the structural elements and ignore the confusing details on the surface. Look at the major forces acting for and against human survival. You have them both.

Jared Diamond, studying common elements in self-destructing societies (like Eastern Islanders, Maya, etc.) in his magnificent book "Collapse" ended the book with what he called "cautious optimism". As it turned out, after careful reading, his reason was having 2 young children -- he thought he couldn't afford anything else.

Once you identify the forces acting for our survival, nearest you, you can join them and enjoy a community you identify with.

For years, even a few years ago, I was a member of a protest group, spreading the truth about the nature of the battle and the choices and options available for humanity. It came to an end after my wife was diagnosed with cancer. I am still doing it, to some extent, on the Internet.

I have to finish with a joke:

Priest on the pulpit tells congregation: "everybody in this Perish will die".
Man in back starts giggling.
Pries: "What's so funny?"
Man: "I am from the other Parish"!

You see, at my age, this joke is funnier than usual.

I wish you all good luck. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
24-10-2011, 07:32 PM
(24-10-2011 05:44 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(24-10-2011 05:24 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  Focus on the good thingsBig Grin I think people are focusing too much on the bad things and easily forget on the good things that we, our society have to offer Wink

Tazmin, I hear you and I know what you mean. As long as there is life, there is hope.

All I am saying is that you have to be realistic.

Don't look at things with rose-coloured glasses, but don't look at them with dark ones either.

Realistic means the vision of an engineer.

I wish you all good luck. Smile
Thanks you too!Big Grin
I know it's not all fine and dandy but hopefully in the future things will have been evolved for the better. But it's just that on a news article of when something good has happened in politics on how the debt crisis can solved and such, comments below are always negative like people who wrote them have given up. It's like they say humans are terrible,world is terrible, they life is terrible but don't even try to make not terrible!Angry.I hate those kind of people who whine and don't even try to make it better for themselves and others.

Well I guess since you are older and experienced, your world view completely different from mine(I'm 13) I'm still trying to find out much about the world. Hopefully when I am older, I will know the ins and outs of our society

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes tazmin98's post
27-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Western half of Rome fell to barbarians and the Eastern lived until 1453 when it fell to Ottomans. And so apparently the Russian Empire became third Rome until 1917.

23 B.C to 1917 A.D. Empire
753 B.C to 1917 A.D. Kingdom to Republic to Empire
01-11-2011, 07:53 PM
(24-10-2011 02:29 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  The analogy to the Roman empire is still incorrect. Do you actually know why the Roman empire fell?

Lead poisoning.

My consideration of history parallels Zatamon's in that power structure found emergence through the actions of Constantine. This same power structure finds its roots in the work of the atheist Paul - don't be deceived, when old gods gotta go, new speakers of god are atheistic - Paul was not "prophet" but Apostle; what does that tell ya?

I actually have a bit of a disagreement with Zatamon because I have faith in evolution - since my formal study in evolutionary biology is minimal, it is naive philosophy that has originated this "faith;" ...and two letters: K-T

Meaning I can understand the frustration that occurs from watching the news and seeing my fellow man act in total disregard of Gaia - yeah, I wanna kill somebody - but eco-terrorism is still terrorism. I find a measure of comfort from seeing Gaia as "big picture."

Now, is there a member of the studio audience that can say with absolute certainty that "nuclear winter" is not part of Gaia's evolution? I cannot. It sure as fuck ain't pretty, and I ain't gonna be proud if such occurs through the antics of my fellow man; but I know with certainty that I am far form "being right" in terms of "directing Gaia's evolution."

So Imma gonna sit here and tell atheists about zero-state morality and learn stuff.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]