The “How to Become a Dictator” thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2017, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2017 02:33 PM by kim.)
RE: The “How to Become a Dictator” thread
The following excerpt is from a memoir by Stefan Zweig called, The World of Yesterday ~

The few among writers who had taken the trouble to read Hitler’s book, ridiculed the bombast of his stilted prose instead of occupying themselves with his program. They took him neither seriously nor literally. Even into the nineteen-thirties, the big democratic newspapers, instead of warning their readers, reassured them day by day, that the movement . . . "would inevitably collapse in no time". Prideful of their own higher learning and cultivation, the intellectual classes could not absorb the idea that, thanks to “invisible wire-pullers”—the self-interested groups and individuals who believed they could manipulate the charismatic maverick for their own gain—this uneducated “beer-hall agitator” had already amassed vast support. After all, Germany was a state where the law rested on a firm foundation, where a majority in parliament was opposed to Hitler, and where every citizen believed that his liberty and equal rights were secured by the solemnly affirmed constitution.

Zweig began writing this memoir in 1934 when, anticipating Anschluss and Nazi persecution, he fled Austria to England and later to Brazil. He posted the manuscript, typed by his second wife Lotte Altmann, to the publisher the day before they both committed suicide in February 1942.

History happens, if you let it. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
20-02-2017, 02:22 PM
(20-02-2017 02:15 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(20-02-2017 01:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Trumplethinskin

Take a bow, my friend, take a bow. That's pure gaud. I mean, gold Yes

A quick google gives these (among others)

[Image: T0012208505--66909.JPG]

[Image: CQQdJxnUAAENzzs.jpg]

WHEN THEY GO LOW WE GO HIGH,

yeh, right.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
20-02-2017, 02:30 PM
(20-02-2017 03:58 AM)Vera Wrote:  Oh, amber. I find jewelry to be mostly pointless (and them pearls damn ugly us adornment) but amber is so beautiful Heart

I like the ones with old dead things in them the best.

99 million year old ant.

[Image: 100millionant_zpsa0kfbm0w.jpg]

20 million yo scorpion.

[Image: 20millinscoprion_zps2e4h8dki.jpg]

Aw, look at the cute little baby bug all warm and safe swaddled in its mother's feelers. Who's a cute little baby bug? You're a cute little baby bug.

[Image: babybug_zpsxvivagd6.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-02-2017, 02:40 PM
I own some of this kind. They are from the Baltic Sea.
Not with bugs but with fish scale. I wonder how old that scale is?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
20-02-2017, 02:46 PM
I didn't know Zweig ended up in Brazil. Wise man Wink I used to read (and like) his short stories a LOT when I was a teen. Haven't reread him in ages, though.

They can even catch some naughty bits and scenes, Girly. Imagine being stuck like this forever Big Grin

Someone tell that deluded poster above that in order for the humanoids supporting that vile thing to even reach the level of semi-decent normal human beings (much less anything that can be considered even remotely high), they would need a space elevator. And even that won't be enough. Their hatefulness and ignorance are so huge, they've created their own gravity well that would dwarf not only a white dwarf but the most massive black hole in the known universe (which might or might not be the space between their collective ears. Oh, to be this happily deluded and dumb! Facepalm

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
20-02-2017, 02:47 PM
(20-02-2017 02:18 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Thats not Saddam Hussein´s. Its the Bernsteinzimmer" (Amber Room)

[Image: Bernsteinzimmer02.jpg]

Oops, sorry. I clicked on the wrong photo. All that gold blinded me! Thanks for the correction. Bowing

Here's one of Hussein's palaces. It's YUGE! YUGE, I tell you. Bet trump would love the size of it. It's make up for the size of his tiny............................hands.

[Image: 15.png]

This was after the Americans took over Hussein's palace as their headquarters. It's enormous.

[Image: article-2003044-0C875B2800000578-808_964x606.jpg]

Hussein's "sitting room". Hobo

[Image: Sitting-room-450.jpg]

Here's a guy pulling one of Hussein's sofas away for further use after people trashed the place.

[Image: d90e29e5af85f5ecd260f480b2912ebf.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
20-02-2017, 02:48 PM
You expel "foreigners", "illegal aliens", "imperialists" or some other "them".

You can always blame your favorite "them" for almost anything that goes wrong. Neither you nor "your" people can ever be responsible for their conditions.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
20-02-2017, 02:56 PM
(20-02-2017 02:20 PM)Alla Wrote:  Seeing as how Amerika is headed that way with the unrelenting attack on the press from the new administration I thought we could all share tips to budding dictators.

Attack on the press?
Are you talking about journalist James Rosen who was attacked by Obama administration? Like they were spying on him? Like they were lying that he was a spy?
Then I agree only a dictator would do this. This could happen only in Soviet Union of America.

So how does Trump attack the liberal press exactly?
By calling them what they are? The opposition party? who instead of reporting facts is trying to destroy him.
Because Dems are totally irrelevant right now, have no power, liberal so- called journalists feel it is their duty to destroy Trump.

The press is NOT entitled to be respected. The press in NOT entitled to be trusted
President is not entitled to be respected. Congress is not entitled to be respected.

Look you fucking twit. Every president, and I mean EVERY PRESIDENT! has had to deal with the press, good, bad or indifferent and most of them just let the criticism roll of their backs because they're grown up people. It's only the current toddler faced, self centered , narcissistic snowflake of a crying baby-man that can't deal with them. He needs to go sit in the corner with a dunce hat on and think about what he wants to do when he grows up. So do you.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
20-02-2017, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2017 11:32 PM by kim.)
After being trashed numerous times by the Smothers Brothers, President Johnson wrote them a letter stating: “It is part of the price of leadership of this great and free nation to be the target of clever satirists. You have given the gift of laughter to our people. May we never grow so somber or self-important that we fail to appreciate the humor in our lives.”

If presidents can dish it out, they ought to be able to take it. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
20-02-2017, 05:29 PM
(20-02-2017 02:47 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Here's a guy pulling one of Hussein's sofas away for further use after people trashed the place.

[Image: d90e29e5af85f5ecd260f480b2912ebf.jpg]

Notice how he girded his loins to pull that thing. Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post