The “How to Become a Dictator” thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2017, 05:33 PM
RE: The “How to Become a Dictator” thread
“Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just around the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
20-02-2017, 05:35 PM
(20-02-2017 02:20 PM)Alla Wrote:  Seeing as how Amerika is headed that way with the unrelenting attack on the press from the new administration I thought we could all share tips to budding dictators.

Attack on the press?
Are you talking about journalist James Rosen who was attacked by Obama administration? Like they were spying on him? Like they were lying that he was a spy?
Then I agree only a dictator would do this. This could happen only in Soviet Union of America.

So how does Trump attack the liberal press exactly?
By calling them what they are? The opposition party? who instead of reporting facts is trying to destroy him.
Because Dems are totally irrelevant right now, have no power, liberal so- called journalists feel it is their duty to destroy Trump.

The press is NOT entitled to be respected. The press in NOT entitled to be trusted
President is not entitled to be respected. Congress is not entitled to be respected.

“You are a slow learner, Winston."
"How can I help it? How can I help but see what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."
"Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It is not easy to become sane.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
20-02-2017, 05:38 PM
(20-02-2017 02:46 PM)Vera Wrote:  They can even catch some naughty bits and scenes, Girly. Imagine being stuck like this forever Big Grin

Be like Michelangelo giving David a boner.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-02-2017, 06:06 PM
FC, I *love* this phrase... maybe 'cause I know it from Wodehouse Blush

[Image: Gird-Up-Your-Loins-2.jpg]
(20-02-2017 05:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Be like Michelangelo giving David a boner.

Maybe he did, but that's between the two of them Angel

I still can't get over the detail in this work by Bernini. This is stunning! Heart

[Image: 429ff0d09e3f358d0b71b37bedc23aab.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
20-02-2017, 07:09 PM
(20-02-2017 06:06 PM)Vera Wrote:  FC, I *love* this phrase... maybe 'cause I know it from Wodehouse Blush

[Image: Gird-Up-Your-Loins-2.jpg]
(20-02-2017 05:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Be like Michelangelo giving David a boner.

Maybe he did, but that's between the two of them Angel

I still can't get over the detail in this work by Bernini. This is stunning! Heart

[Image: 429ff0d09e3f358d0b71b37bedc23aab.jpg]

I have a tough enough time carving wood into reasonable shapes. Making marble look that life-like impresses the living shit out of me, I can tell you! Yes Of course, there's no grain to fight, but that marble is a helluva lot harder.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
21-02-2017, 07:17 AM
(20-02-2017 05:33 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  “Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just around the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me.”
― George Orwell, 1984

Yep.

And surrounding yourself with high ranking military officials adds a ton of power.

I still think Bannon's goal is to take Russia and others who are willing and destroy the middle east.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-02-2017, 07:46 AM
"The protagonist of the novel, Winston Smith, is a member of the Outer Party, who works for the Ministry of Truth (or Minitrue in Newspeak), which is responsible for propaganda and historical revisionism. His job is to rewrite past newspaper articles, so that the historical record always supports the party line. The instructions that the workers receive portray the corrections as fixing misquotations and never as what they really are: forgeries and falsifications. A large part of the Ministry also actively destroys all documents that have not been edited and do not contain the revisions; in this way, no proof exists that the government is lying.”

Sounds eerily possible and already under way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post